The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

It's not a great example at all, given that Peaso chose to leave a Morton side that had just finished second in the division after a highly successful season himself to play for the title favourites; as opposed to being released by a bunch of dung relegation strugglers. So not at a similar stage in their respective careers at all then.

If you honestly consider 2nd to be a highly successful season that year then you are in-fact living up to my point about your intelligence (and lack there of). Let us not forget that Peaso that season, was our joint top scorer with a player you didn't seem to rate at all (Archie Campbell). Peaso and Doolan share qualities and are therefore suitably comparable. End of story. 

Bold move to question my intelligence when you've clearly taken your (wrong) definition of irony from an Alanis Morissette song. 

I am far too young to even know who that is. But yes like I said previously, and just to clarify. I am not questioning your intelligence. I am telling you that you are unintelligent. 

Erm no it doesn't - the record currently shows that Doolan is currently only as good as Bob McHugh's campaign this season. Every signing in football is a gamble and there is of course a chance that Doolan might do better than that if we were to sign him, but given his age the odds of that happening are simply not good enough to justify signing him. 

Don't disagree with anything you have said here minus the small matter of fact - Much less risk attached to a proven goalscorer with one shite season than some of your other transfer targets such as your mate Andy Dallas.

I've got every confidence that a competent football manager would be able to find better bets than that from the countless free agents as well as transfer and loan listed players from higher divisions, all of whom will be available on the Championship market from next month. I think Doolan would be better option for someone like Raith or Airdrie who can't afford to be picky as ourselves. 

Finally some rationale for your thinking. I'll say thanks?

That'll be why Neil McFarlane was a key player in a strong Queen of the South side for years and even played in a Scottish Cup Final 13 months before joining Morton; as opposed to Kris Doolan who has spent the most recent 13 months getting relegated and warming the bench because he can't even get a game for that dung Partick Thistle outfit. 

The player who looks significantly closer to their sell by date in that comparison is your hero. 

Yeah lets compare defensive midfielders to strikers. He was weirdo from Dunoon that will wash up on Operation Yewtree's next hit list. As I said before. He is irrelevant and a pish poor reference to this discussion.

^^^ verge of tears

Tears that will be used as lube whilst I watch Kris Doolan score 24 goals to win us the Scottish Championship 19/20 season. 

Edited by Jani_Uotinen

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

What makes you think Morton can afford to be picky?

Not a dig just genuinely curious.

It remains to be seen what our final budget is for next season but I very much doubt it will be at the bottom of the full-time pecking order. And even if finances were an issue, playing for an established Championship club remains a better draw than seaside league football for most loan players and their parent clubs in particular. 

31 minutes ago, Jani_Uotinen said:

If you honestly consider 2nd to be a highly successful season that year then you are in-fact living up to my point about your intelligence (and lack there of). Let us not forget that Peaso that season, was our joint top scorer with a player you didn't seem to rate at all (Archie Campbell). Peaso and Doolan share qualities and are therefore suitably comparable. End of story. 

We have already compared them and found that one was actually still in the prime of their career while the other is in clear decline. So we're not dealing with a similar situation at all then.

I am far too young to even know who that is. But yes like I said previously, and just to clarify. I am not questioning your intelligence. I am telling you that you are unintelligent. 

...but as you can't even grasp what 'irony' means your judgment of anyone's intelligence can be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

Don't disagree with anything you have said here minus the small matter of fact - Much less risk attached to a proven goalscorer with one shite season than some of your other transfer targets such as your mate Andy Dallas.

Nice straw man argument there, but at no point have I ever argued for signing Andrew Dallas next season, or indeed any other season between now and the Earth finally being devoured by the Sun.

'We can do better than six goal a season jobbers' is really not a transfer strategy that any competent incoming manager will struggle with. 

Yeah lets compare defensive midfielders to strikers. He was weirdo from Dunoon that will wash up on Operation Yewtree's next hit list. As I said before. He is irrelevant and a pish poor reference to this discussion.

Still, at least you've taken that complete demolition of your point well. 

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

We have already compared them and found that one was actually still in the prime of their career while the other is in clear decline. So we're not dealing with a similar situation at all then.

...but as you can't even grasp what 'irony' means your judgment of anyone's intelligence can be safely filed in the bin where it belongs. 

Nice straw man argument there, but at no point have I ever argued for signing Andrew Dallas next season, or indeed any other season between now and the Earth finally being devoured by the Sun.

'We can do better than six goal a season jobbers' is really not a transfer strategy that any competent incoming manager will struggle with. 

Still, at least you've taken that complete demolition of your point well. 

You missed my point about using my tears as lubricant :( 

Other than that I will close with this: 

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids good-bye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well, isn't this nice."
And isn't it ironic, l don't you think

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

What makes you think Morton can afford to be picky?

Not a dig just genuinely curious.

Absolutely every club tries to be picky to some degree. Whether it works out is another matter of course. 

Absolutely every club tries to be picky to some degree. Whether it works out is another matter of course. 

Being picky is natural when you don’t want to end up with a team of League One standard jobbers. Even then you can end up with 1 or 2 in your team or in Falkirks case a whole squad of them.

What I’m not sure about is Doolan at that level already? He’s had a tricky 2 years whilst Partick have been shit at the same time. I still think he’d be a great signing at this level provided you can create chances for him. I also don’t think Caldwell shipped him out because he’s done at this level.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Never heard of this 'Fraser' program tbh, sounds utterly beige though. 

I don't need to prove that their squad is clearly inferior to ours; we've literally just had 36 matches in which that claim has been demonstrated. That is how a league table works. And no amount of whataboutery on your part is going to change those straightforward facts. 

Gutted for you. 

IMG_0697.thumb.jpg.193ffcb88922d447c70aabe54f40c685.jpg

2 hours ago, virginton said:

It's not a great example at all, given that Peaso chose to leave a Morton side that had just finished second in the division after a highly successful season himself to play for the title favourites; as opposed to being released by a bunch of dung relegation strugglers. So not at a similar stage in their respective careers at all then.

Bold move to question my intelligence when you've clearly taken your (wrong) definition of irony from an Alanis Morissette song. 

Erm no it doesn't - the record currently shows that Doolan is currently only as good as Bob McHugh's campaign this season. Every signing in football is a gamble and there is of course a chance that Doolan might do better than that if we were to sign him, but given his age the odds of that happening are simply not good enough to justify signing him. 

I've got every confidence that a competent football manager would be able to find better bets than that from the countless free agents as well as transfer and loan listed players from higher divisions, all of whom will be available on the Championship market from next month. I think Doolan would be better option for someone like Raith or Airdrie who can't afford to be picky as ourselves. 

That'll be why Neil McFarlane was a key player in a strong Queen of the South side for years and even played in a Scottish Cup Final 13 months before joining Morton; as opposed to Kris Doolan who has spent the most recent 13 months getting relegated and warming the bench because he can't even get a game for that dung Partick Thistle outfit. 

The player who looks significantly closer to their sell by date in that comparison is your hero. 

^^^ verge of tears

Well, if there’s one thing on P&B that can be relied on, it’s that whenever you cast your line upon the water in his direction vt will stop bottom feeding for long enough to rise to the surface of the pond, swallow the bait and try once again to defend the indefensible. Boy just can’t help himself.

You should watch Fraser, by the way, vt. it would put the fear of God in you. It’s about Scottish psychiatric tough love, where they take away your tv remote control so you can’t watch shite cookery programmes and confiscate your posters of Ainsley, Greggy and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, meaning you have use your imagination when having a chug.

You’re actually right of course in saying that league tables don’t lie  - but they can be, and inevitably are, distorted  by a flukey goal scored or conceded here or  there or by the odd referring error. It’s therefore a laughable assertion in a season where teams each contest one hundred and eight points that a three point margin between two teams  means that the higher team had demonstrably the better squad. And it’s even more laughable to refuse to  concede that things aren’t as black and white as you insist they are.

For the record, and since you insist that stats are everything, let’s look at this season’s head to head record between the teams. They met five times; Thistle won three and Morton won two. Eight goals scored each, but as per the odd refereeing error alluded to above let’s allow them the “goal that never was” but which certainly should have been, back in September.

So, three wins for Thistle to our two, and nine goals for them to our eight. If you still think that that, and how close the teams were in the league, constitutes evidence that  their squad really was “clearly inferior” to ours, then instead of boring the nips off us all about it you should go outside and proceed to throw shite at yourself.

Well, if there’s one thing on P&B that can be relied on, it’s that whenever you cast your line upon the water in his direction vt will stop bottom feeding for long enough to rise to the surface of the pond, swallow the bait and try once again to defend the indefensible. Boy just can’t help himself.
You should watch Fraser, by the way, vt. it would put the fear of God in you. It’s about Scottish psychiatric tough love, where they take away your tv remote control so you can’t watch shite cookery programmes and confiscate your posters of Ainsley, Greggy and Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, meaning you have use your imagination when having a chug.
You’re actually right of course in saying that league tables don’t lie  - but they can be, and inevitably are, distorted  by a flukey goal scored or conceded here or  there or by the odd referring error. It’s therefore a laughable assertion in a season where teams each contest one hundred and eight points that a three point margin between two teams  means that the higher team had demonstrably the better squad. And it’s even more laughable to refuse to  concede that things aren’t as black and white as you insist they are.
For the record, and since you insist that stats are everything, let’s look at this season’s head to head record between the teams. They met five times; Thistle won three and Morton won two. Eight goals scored each, but as per the odd refereeing error alluded to above let’s allow them the “goal that never was” but which certainly should have been, back in September.
So, three wins for Thistle to our two, and nine goals for them to our eight. If you still think that that, and how close the teams were in the league, constitutes evidence that  their squad really was “clearly inferior” to ours, then instead of boring the nips off us all about it you should go outside and proceed to throw shite at yourself.

A lot of effort that does nothing to change opinion of the actual debate - whether or not we should pick up one of Patrick's 'deemed no longer good enough' cast offs.

Trying to prove how close the teams were rather that Partick being clearly inferior to us changes nothing, as in both those scenarios, we should not be chasing a player deemed no longer good enough for them and your crusade was frivolous.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

A lot of effort that does nothing to change opinion of the actual debate - whether or not we should pick up one of Patrick's 'deemed no longer good enough' cast offs.

Trying to prove how close the teams were rather that Partick being clearly inferior to us changes nothing, as in both those scenarios, we should not be chasing a player deemed no longer good enough for them and your crusade was frivolous.

Wasn't me who moved the goalposts chum. 

I think Doolan could be worthwhile adding to the squad, you don't. Fair enough - at least you kept it on topic. 

McHugh over Doolan for me.

If we're signing 'experience' (which usually means slowing up and physically on the way down, whatever their quality), it should be at centre-back, not up front or wide (unless we can pull out something really special, which looks unlikely on our budget).

Iredale was just about the only real running power in the squad and he's already away. Whatever happens, the imbalances of this season -- decent technical ability and experience, but short on pace/athleticism -- need to be addressed.

Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

Why’d he stay so long at so-so Thissell then, hmmm?

Loyalty. At various points he spurred interest from Hearts and St Johnstone.

The guy is one of that really rare breed of footballer who actually gives a damn. You would be extremely fortunate to have him in your side.

He is easily good enough to play as a regular in this league. The reason he didn’t last season was because:

(a) Archie was losing his marbles

(b) Caldwell was a clown; and

(c) McDonald hit the ground running really well and early on and having him and Doolan alongside one another didn’t really suit our system.

Doolan would be the first to admit he wasn’t fully at the races the last year or so, but neither was most of the team around him. He was very far from anything vaguely resembling the poorer contingent of our squad last year.

The reasons for him not being offered a new contract are a matter of horrendous judgment by Caldwell who feels threatened by a long-standing ambassador of the club having developed coaching experience in the last year. He’s got rid of him because he fears if he starts next year badly Doolan will get *his* job.

15 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

First team players signed up so far, McAlister, Millar, Lyon, Dykes, Buchannan...   

So far it's only Dykes, Lyon and Pearson the GK. The others may get better offers and go elsewhere. 

On 10/05/2019 at 17:29, Jani_Uotinen said:

The very fact that you are prepared suggest Doolan is shite and a waste of time would entail you have a list of alternatives...

This is just dreadful logic.

22 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

First team players signed up so far, McAlister, Millar, Lyon, Dykes, Buchannan...   

Robert Thomson been released? Or is he not counted as a first team player (or a footballer at all)?

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Robert Thomson been released? Or is he not counted as a first team player (or a footballer at all)?

Not been offered anything yet until the new manager comes in