The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Strong rumour of it being Easdale calling the shots on all these moves.  Wonder if we will get a takeover before the season starts?  

I originally thought Crawford would be gone this Summer but now I'm not so sure. A greater influence and investment in different areas from Sandy no doubt but I still think Crawford will be in place as Chairman next season.

Hope I'm wrong as I don't see the point in Crawford kicking about any longer than he has to but I can't see the Easdales buying us out just yet, especially with the Rangers share issue still ongoing but clearly they are involved somehow be it directly or otherwise.

Either way, if they are or are part of the external investors being mentioned then we should welcome it and hope the cuts are not as bad we all expected. 

Curious to see how this plays out. Interesting Summer ahead!

Duffy was ruthlessly emptied at the end of last season and that was under Crawford's watch. I don't think it's quite as cut and dried as that. 

He had to go, 6 games to go we’re lying 3rd, end up 7th. Not forgetting these utterly useless loan signings toward the end.

Would we sign Kris Doolan?

Bit-part for Thistle this season but a man who can find the net. Personally think he could be ‘Peaso-esq’. I use that term lightly and optimistically.

An experienced player that was banging in a fair few in the Prem not to long ago. Provided he stayed fit - I don’t see why he couldn’t be our 15+ goals man for the upcoming season.

Already 33 and presumably got released from an inferior Partick side for that (and other) footballing reasons; not for me. 

Apparently released for a poor relationship with Caldwell.

Proven goal scorers that know this league well aren’t so easy to find. Whilst I wouldn’t be jumping for joy if he joined us. I’d be pretty confident he’d score his share of goals plus add some experience at that end of the pitch.

Apparently released for a poor relationship with Caldwell.

Proven goal scorers that know this league well aren’t so easy to find. Whilst I wouldn’t be jumping for joy if he joined us. I’d be pretty confident he’d score his share of goals plus add some experience at that end of the pitch.
Releases for not cutting it this season, few Partick fans would deny it.

Anyway. He will be rocking up at little Ayr, or grabbing a bucket and heading to the seasides with Falkirk.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Already 33 and presumably got released from an inferior Partick side for that (and other) footballing reasons; not for me. 

Peter MacDonald was a couple of months shy of 33 when he went from Morton to Dundee, and he did even better with them than he did with us.  33 -  34 is fine for a player in the Championship if he has kept his fitness levels up.

We could do worse. And we probably will.

Peter MacDonald was a couple of months shy of 33 when he went from Morton to Dundee, and he did even better with them than he did with us.  33 -  34 is fine for a player in the Championship if he has kept his fitness levels up.

Completely agree. Judging by the reception of Thistle fans - the majority are gutted to see him go. A fresh start at a new club could be all he needs. Time will tell, but if we think we can do much better than a Doolan, we are taking the piss and should nominate Andy Dallas to the Morton Hall of Fame.

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Peter MacDonald though was signed as a short-term fix with a view to getting us out of League One though.

Whilst he was given a year beyond that in the Championship, he’d ran his race by that point, and the longer term deal was probably a price worth paying just to get us out of that league.

That’s not to say Doolan couldn’t be a decent signing, but I don’t think the two are really comparable.

Edited by Toby

19 minutes ago, Toby said:

Peter MacDonald though was signed as a short-term fix with a view to getting us out of League One though.

Whilst he was given a year beyond that in the Championship, he’d ran his race by that point, and the longer term deal was probably a price worth paying just to get us out of that league.

That’s not to say Dolan couldn’t be a decent signing, but I don’t think the two are really comparable.

Think you’ve missed the point of my post. I wasn’t referring to his time at Morton, first or second time around. He went to newly-relegated Dundee a couple of months before his 33rd birthday. He was their top scorer that season and scored the goal that won them the Championship.......    on a day when we should not have bothered turning up at Hamilton.......

Completely agree. Judging by the reception of Thistle fans - the majority are gutted to see him go. A fresh start at a new club could be all he needs. Time will tell, but if we think we can do much better than a Doolan, we are taking the piss and should nominate Andy Dallas to the Morton Hall of Fame.
Most are not gutted because they want him to stay because they think he will be a regular next season, but through devotion to a 'legend',

4 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Think you’ve missed the point of my post. I wasn’t referring to his time at Morton, first or second time around. He went to newly-relegated Dundee a couple of months before his 33rd birthday. He was their top scorer that season and scored the goal that won them the Championship.......    on a day when we should not have bothered turning up at Hamilton.......

I did, aye. I took it as you were saying he was that age when he arrived at us for his second spell. F*ck.

15 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Peter MacDonald hadn't been released by a relegation-battling shambles of an outfit for being too shite to get a game for them anymore. 

Swing and a miss then.