The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Easdales must make their move now surely?  If they give Crawfords plan a chance to kick in they will be buying a club in turmoil and falling down the leagues.

Cant do nothing if they have shares in Rangers and King can get away with not buying them out!

8 minutes ago, madton said:

Cant do nothing if they have shares in Rangers and King can get away with not buying them out!

Wonder if they could transfer the shares to allow them to buy Morton. Like Sandy transfers all his shares to James and Sandy alone takes control at Morton? 

8 minutes ago, LauriestonBairn said:

We are paying a fortune for that main stand. Just glad we’ve had a few healthy transfers recently to give us a decent balance. Wonder where we will be if and when the transfer fees dry up.

Did you go to the presentation night held in the South Stand regarding the fan ownership scheme?

Kenny Jamieson said that as a result of the decision to cease funding the Academy we were now in a financially stable position. That we began each season knowing that our projected income from normal sources - season tickets, commercial activity etc - was sufficient to cover our operating costs. That we now didn't start each season with a deficit which had to be filled by either transfers or cup runs. He stressed the point several times, and one of the phrases he used was "stable but stagnant". In that while we no longer had black holes, we didn't have any prospect of future windfalls either. After saying that it gave him a platform to launch into one of the reasons why a fresh cash injection via fan ownership would be beneficial.

Did you go to the presentation night held in the South Stand regarding the fan ownership scheme?
Kenny Jamieson said that as a result of the decision to cease funding the Academy we were now in a financially stable position. That we began each season knowing that our projected income from normal sources - season tickets, commercial activity etc - was sufficient to cover our operating costs. That we now didn't start each season with a deficit which had to be filled by either transfers or cup runs. He stressed the point several times, and one of the phrases he used was "stable but stagnant". In that while we no longer had black holes, we didn't have any prospect of future windfalls either. After saying that it gave him a platform to launch into one of the reasons why a fresh cash injection via fan ownership would be beneficial.

We will still turn a loss this season IMO. The Academy is the biggest white lie of all. The biggest cost was that development team. You and I both know it. The Academy at tier two was nothing like the numbers spouted in the press.

47 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

The Academy is the biggest white lie of all. The biggest cost was that development team. You and I both know it. 

That's where you're wrong BPM. I don't "know" anything. 

I never asked any questions about the Academy. I have a couple of friends who're closely involved with the club and who did ask before I got the chance to. They were satisfied with the answers given. That was enough for me as I trust their judgement.

I know there are plenty - maybe the majority - who would disagree. Fair enough. It's such an emotive subject that I tend to stay away from debating it.  

Which is why I was surprised that Kenny used it a couple of times at the start of his presentation. I think it's the first time I've ever heard someone outwith the Board give an analysis of the decision without condemning it.

3 hours ago, LauriestonBairn said:

We are paying a fortune for that main stand. Just glad we’ve had a few healthy transfers recently to give us a decent balance. Wonder where we will be if and when the transfer fees dry up.

That's it, and you'll find there are a number of clubs who could find themselves in dire financial straits shortly.

Although Crawford is Morton chairman and  Managing Director of Golden Casket, you will find he probably only has about a 25% stake in the company and will not hold the absolute power that Dougie did.

Think Crawford has a couple of sisters and a brother in Australia (from what I heard) and I imagine old Dougie would have left them  an equal share  in his Will.

Sounds to me if Crawford did want to give it a go with a 3 year plan, perhaps in the memory of his father, but was simply voted down by the other share-holders. 

Regardless we now know they are no longer going to be the people to take the club forward or even sustain to the levels we have just now.

It's really grim times and only the Easdales can save us now 

This seasons bullshit aside, I dont care any about the operation of Greenock Morton. All I would say is basic common sense would tell you that anyone involved in the reanimation of Rangers post 2012 should be treated with serious trepidation.

Hard to say I wouldnt want them anywhere near my club without knowing what the alternatives were, but I definitely want them nowhere near my club.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

This seasons bullshit aside, I dont care any about the operation of Greenock Morton. All I would say is basic common sense would tell you that anyone involved in the reanimation of Rangers post 2012 should be treated with serious trepidation.

Hard to say I wouldnt want them anywhere near my club without knowing what the alternatives were, but I definitely want them nowhere near my club.

I personally don't have concerns about the Easdales themselves. Sandy seems to have a genuine affection for the club and is a regular attendee at every home game.

They have also put in a tremendous amount of sponsorship and have their own man on the current Board of Directors.

My big concern would be if people like Lambilas get involved. He seemed part of things when there was talk of a takeover last year. That's would be worrying.

The Crawford Rae interview with the Greenock Telegraph last week was no coincidence. The club published accounts on 1st March, which states at point 2-Going concern, 'The directors are working on budgets for 2019/20 season, to establish the level of overheads which would result in a break-even position for that year'. Furthermore at point 8-Material uncertainty relating to going concern,  'if the company is not able to reach a break-even position, then a material uncertainty exists, that may cast a significant doubt over the company's ability to continue as a going concern'. 

Worrying times. 

1 hour ago, NewarkTon said:

The Crawford Rae interview with the Greenock Telegraph last week was no coincidence. The club published accounts on 1st March, which states at point 2-Going concern, 'The directors are working on budgets for 2019/20 season, to establish the level of overheads which would result in a break-even position for that year'. Furthermore at point 8-Material uncertainty relating to going concern,  'if the company is not able to reach a break-even position, then a material uncertainty exists, that may cast a significant doubt over the company's ability to continue as a going concern'. 

Worrying times. 

The club is always going to get a qualified going concern report as long as the inter-company debt exists. If the parent company with its new directors decides to charge ijnterest on the debt then to reach a break even point the playing budget would probably need to be reduced to ten bob. 

On the other hand the last time I looked the stadium etc was included in the accounts at a. 1999 value. We need a proper accountant.

The club is always going to get a qualified going concern report as long as the inter-company debt exists. If the parent company with its new directors decides to charge ijnterest on the debt then to reach a break even point the playing budget would probably need to be reduced to ten bob. 
On the other hand the last time I looked the stadium etc was included in the accounts at a. 1999 value. We need a proper accountant.

Stadiums in the 80s mate, never mind the 90s.

19 hours ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Surely that's just a dodge so it can be sold cheaply to the first person that comes along? 

Hardly. If its restated at current market value the increase would cover some of the accumulated trading losses and.make the balance sheet look a lot healthier.

Maybe Toby could explain why his hero, our vastly experienced accountant, hasn't advocated that after splashing out £80k on turnstile software to facilitate real time management accounts. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Well some good news during the Interduffup break.

Good to see Reece Lyon getting a contract extension to June 21.

Hope he keeps progressing in a more mobile midfield. RIP Tids

A 3 month contract extension really isn't so impressive plus Tidser would have been the ideal man to teach him his trade.