The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

11 minutes ago, madton said:

Depends how big the stand is. Whilst 4 stands would be ideal, it probably would be pretty pointless at this stage.

I doubt any new stadium would involve a main stand like yours with a 4200 capacity more likely similar to St Mirrens ground., 2400-2500 capacity.

We could certainly get away with two 2500 stands initially and then add stands behind goals at a later date if required.

FWIW, I can't see us moving away from Cappielow any time soon but the main stand is becoming more and more of an issue as the months go on so I would expect we will need to do something drastic eventually and i guess that will either be new stadium or major redevelopment at Cappielow.

What's the 'more and more of an issue at the main stand' that you speak of?  As far as I was aware it just needs routine work on it yearly but nothing major, unless I've missed something.

If it involves away fans moaning about leg room space well quite frankly that can piss aff!

There is absolutely no need for us to move from Cappielow, it would make more sense to update the current stadium than to build a new lego one from scratch! It's simple really, all Cappielow needs upgraded if we somehow, magically got promoted one day would be to demolosh the top half of the main stand and completely upgrade it with a new seated layout, roof and lights! The bottom half of the main stand inside and out is fine and install bucket seats on the steps behind the WDE with a roof, done!!!

Surely that would make more sense and be cheaper than building a brand new stadium? Cappielow is brilliant, f**k moving away!

33 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

What's wrong with the main stand?

Blown your not trying to be a smart arse now !

A stand designed for midgets and happy with a  restricted view.

The sad thing is if it wasn't designed for the above, it would be a cracking stand as it's close to the pitch

43 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

What's wrong with the main stand?

42 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

What's the 'more and more of an issue at the main stand' that you speak of?  As far as I was aware it just needs routine work on it yearly but nothing major, unless I've missed something.

If it involves away fans moaning about leg room space well quite frankly that can piss aff!

Told it is becoming more and more expensive to maintain and we are spending a good bit of money on it regularly, more than just a yearly routine maintenance cost.

Dont know the in's and outs of it or the costs involved just that its a problem.

1 minute ago, madton said:

Told it is becoming more and more expensive to maintain and we are spending a good bit of money on it regularly, more than just a yearly routine maintenance cost.

Dont know the in's and outs of it or the costs involved just that its a problem.

What do I know, I'm no construction or stadium expert but really how much maintenance do you think it really needs? It's not as if it's crumbling or that.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

If we ever end up with a ground open on one side like Falkirk or Thistle, I'd stop going. Used to love going to Firhill (and Brockville, for that matter), but they killed it piece by piece. Self-harm.

Why on earth would an open section of the ground stop you  going?

The wee Dublin end lies bare every 2nd week anyway.

Just now, madton said:

Why on earth would an open section of the ground stop you  going?

The wee Dublin end lies bare every 2nd week anyway.

Have you been to Firhill or Grangemouth recently? Death.

At least the wee Dublin end is actually _there_, as opposed to a view onto some fuckin wasteland...

2 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

What do I know, I'm no construction or stadium expert but really how much maintenance do you think it really needs? It's not as if it's crumbling or that.

No idea, just what i heard.

Perhaps it's not crumbling because we spend money preventing just that.

A question for Crawford at the next Q and A....

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

At least the wee Dublin end is actually _there_, as opposed to a view onto some fuckin wasteland...

This is quite possibly the worst fishing expedition in the history of the internet.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye. I wouldn't think of not going because of an empty space though. Who gives a feck if one view is of wasteland, you're there to watch the game!

Your saying you would actually stop going to Morton games if we only had 2/3 stands? Mental!

1 minute ago, madton said:

Aye. I wouldn't think of not going because of an empty space though. Who gives a feck if one view is of wasteland, you're there to watch the game!

Your saying you would actually stop going to Morton games if we only had 2/3 stands? Mental!

Me, I give that feck...

More than that... I'd assassinate the Chairman and/or Chief Exec who allowed it to happen...

3 hours ago, Colkitto said:

In the last couple of years alone the Easdales have spent over £5m in buying land in Inverclyde.  I don't see a £5m/6m stadium being a problem to them in a financial sense. 

Same question goes for those purchases though. There's clearly an investment plan in purchasing such land, and wherever the funds come from (whether any form of loan or some form of personal capital), there is a design to produce a return (sooner or later). If you're having to find, say, £8 million for a fairly modest new stadium, that's more than what they have been investing in land and there's no obvious return in the stadium. We're no talking about abundantly rich people, but businessmen with decent amounts of capital to draw on. I'm just interested to know what the business plan would be - they don't seem like people who would want to lose money from any business, even football. 

2 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

More “Grangemouth” pish, from the team whose ground is at Cartsdyke.  

'Cartsdyke' isn't actually a settlement champ; as opposed to Grangemouth, which is both a town of substantial size and the location of your three sided bin of a ground. Thanks for playing anyway. 

Hardly surprising that teuchters can't grasp the sheer extent of Greenock's sprawling, metropolitan transport network though.  

43 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

More “Grangemouth” pish, from the team whose ground is at Cartsdyke.  

Would be great if one of you "Grangemouth" fellows ever actually answered a point, instead of trying to "match" the insult. But then that would require some "humour" or, perish the fuckin thought, actually having an "answer".

What was the point? Three-sided "stadia" are not good. Ask any "Jags" fan.

Also, plastic pitches at "top-level professional" "fitba" are a "fuckin disgrace". Ask anybody who doesn't support "Grangemouth".