The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

52 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

They have already embarked on a site accumulation excercise around the ground. That might be just for the current rental portfolio . However our ground might have value as part of some grander scheme for the whole area. Shades of HS perhaps. Maybe we will become a warehouse distribution hub for Sports Direct as well as a bus depot.

Surely wouldn't matter too much if you get a nice shiny new stadium in Inverkip or somewhere?

One rumour that won't go away is the prospect of us moving to a new stadium at the old IBM site.  I've been told it's happening from people that work for the Easdales.  Worst kept secret out there and being spoken about by people with no interest in Morton or football.   I await the snide comments about how would the bus driver on the Inverkip to Port Glasgow 585 service know. :lol:

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

One rumour that won't go away is the prospect of us moving to a new stadium at the old IBM site.  I've been told it's happening from people that work for the Easdales.  Worst kept secret out there and being spoken about by people with no interest in Morton or football.   I await the snide comments about how would the bus driver on the Inverkip to Port Glasgow 585 service know. :lol:

Keep those McGills profits up :lol:

Said it before on our own forum but I was told by a source very close to the Easdale's that it's a matter of when they take over, rather than if. 

I thought something may have happened last summer after Dougie passed away but they obviously need to wait until their issue with Rangers is resolved. The Rae's will be gone from Cappielow when the Easdale's come in. I'm hoping when they come in that we'll no longer be ran like a diddy outfit bouncing from pillar to post. I also highly doubt they'll come in and be happy for our position in Scottish football to stay the same. They'll be wanting us in the Premiership ASAP. Whether that happens or not is a different story. 

Keep hearing the rumours about the IBM site but I can't see it happening. It's quite far out and harder to get to than Cappielow just now. That said, there really isn't anywhere else that could take a new football stadium/sports complex in Inverclyde. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Keep hearing the rumours about the IBM site but I can't see it happening. It's quite far out and harder to get to than Cappielow just now. That said, there really isn't anywhere else that could take a new football stadium/sports complex in Inverclyde. 

If only we knew of a local transport company that could assist with getting fans to any prospective new stadium.

14 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

If only we knew of a local transport company that could assist with getting fans to any prospective new stadium.

Makes perfect business sense. Build a stadium that isn’t easy to get to and use your own bus company to charge fans even more money to get there.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

I asked for evidence that they wanted to own the entire football club. 'Going to home games' definitely isn't that. 'Strong rumours' - mostly on cesspool fan forums or Facebook pages - are not that either. 

The reason why you think this is 'the most likely' scenario to happen is because you can't wrap your head around businessmen wanting to own a stake in a football club (and avoid taking a massively dodgy investment in the process), rather than running it as their personal family fiefdom with no-one else getting a look in. That's a legacy of nearly twenty years of the Raes' ownership right there. 

I go to home games and I *definitely* want to own the entire football club... anybody want to start a rumour?

21 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Where would they get the funds to build a new stadium?

46 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I'd imagine selling the ground at Cappielow would at least contribute to some of it.  No idea otherwise.

That's the thing. If the sale of the land at Cappielow was going to fund a new stadium + related development at the former IBM site, then I'm sure the Easdales would be looking at it very seriously. I'm not sure anyone other than the Easdales themselves would be interested in the land. Maybe it's a question of the value of the land to them, since they now own the land beside it (in terms of land for new stadium exchange), but I'm still not sure in that case where they get the funding for a new stadium. 

If it makes business sense I'm sure they'd be happy to do it. They have an interest in football and an interest in building their local business strength. But I'm not seeing any scenario where they wouldn't have to stump up at least £5-10 million in costs related to constructing a new stadium (with no personal return on the stadium itself). The land at Cappielow would need to be worth more to them that that, and I would be surprised if it is. 

26 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Genuinely not trying to be a smart are here but I'd imagine that, with the crowds you get, any new stadium would likely be a single stand or maybe two to begin with. The sale of Cappielow would probably cover that I'd imagine?

I can see that.

Building a one stand stadium on the outskirts of town sounds like a horrible idea. There are obviously more options for stadium building now. A seated main stand plus three sides of terracing would probably be the cheapest alternative. I'm not sure the sale of Cappielow would cover any of that, and I can't see us getting any public money to help with that.  

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

That's the thing. If the sale of the land at Cappielow was going to fund a new stadium + related development at the former IBM site, then I'm sure the Easdales would be looking at it very seriously. I'm not sure anyone other than the Easdales themselves would be interested in the land. Maybe it's a question of the value of the land to them, since they now own the land beside it (in terms of land for new stadium exchange), but I'm still not sure in that case where they get the funding for a new stadium. 

If it makes business sense I'm sure they'd be happy to do it. They have an interest in football and an interest in building their local business strength. But I'm not seeing any scenario where they wouldn't have to stump up at least £5-10 million in costs related to constructing a new stadium (with no personal return on the stadium itself). The land at Cappielow would need to be worth more to them that that, and I would be surprised if it is. 

In the last couple of years alone the Easdales have spent over £5m in buying land in Inverclyde.  I don't see a £5m/6m stadium being a problem to them in a financial sense. 

would the cappielow site be given planning permission for housing given that its sandwiched between the railway and industrial zone?

if not youd be looking at retail which I think unlikely with the big tesco retail park just up the road or industrial and I would guess theres plenty empty industrial units in the area already.

i dont know that i would want the easdales involved with my club.

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Genuinely not trying to be a smart are here but I'd imagine that, with the crowds you get, any new stadium would likely be a single stand or maybe two to begin with. The sale of Cappielow would probably cover that I'd imagine?

Depends how big the stand is. Whilst 4 stands would be ideal, it probably would be pretty pointless at this stage.

I doubt any new stadium would involve a main stand like yours with a 4200 capacity more likely similar to St Mirrens ground., 2400-2500 capacity.

We could certainly get away with two 2500 stands initially and then add stands behind goals at a later date if required.

FWIW, I can't see us moving away from Cappielow any time soon but the main stand is becoming more and more of an issue as the months go on so I would expect we will need to do something drastic eventually and i guess that will either be new stadium or major redevelopment at Cappielow.

14 minutes ago, madton said:

Depends how big the stand is. Whilst 4 stands would be ideal, it probably would be pretty pointless at this stage.

I doubt any new stadium would involve a main stand like yours with a 4200 capacity more likely similar to St Mirrens ground., 2400-2500 capacity.

We could certainly get away with two 2500 stands initially and then add stands behind goals at a later date if required.

FWIW, I can't see us moving away from Cappielow any time soon but the main stand is becoming more and more of an issue as the months go on so I would expect we will need to do something drastic eventually and i guess that will either be new stadium or major redevelopment at Cappielow.

What's wrong with the main stand?