The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

43 minutes ago, Dr Watson said:

Really enjoying watching virginton's 'Award-Winning, Fact-Based Analysis' getting found out over on the Morton forum.

Keep up the good work champ.

What about the wababee censor, who constantly talks shite, meany mouth moaning about JJ’s dolorous patter and calling it completely unacceptable?  

'With another Shelbourne player, Paddy Turner, he then joined Greenock Morton in Scotland, flying over to Glasgow every weekend. The team won 12 matches in a row and Flood was living "a celebrity lifestyle" as a footballer, in contrast to his mundane life in Guinness.'

Flood came in at the very beginning of the Hal Stewart era during which Morton went to a league Cup final tie against Rangers at Hampden.

Edited by FINBARR FLOOD

The Herald

Easdales ready to make their move?  Selling their shares to King for £1.3m would free them up for a takeover at Morton.

You would have to imagine they're ready to make their move and have ownership of the Club for the summer.  

What evidence is there that Easdales actually want to fully take on the responsibility of owning GMFC? I'm sure that they've got plenty of other things to do with their time and money that don't come with the dire investment record of second tier Scottish football clubs. 

One of the most unfortunate legacies of the Rae era is that Morton fans can't seem to envisage an ownership model that doesn't involve as near as 100% control by one interested party. 

5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

The Herald

Easdales ready to make their move?  Selling their shares to King for £1.3m would free them up for a takeover at Morton.

You would have to imagine they're ready to make their move and have ownership of the Club for the summer.  

It's like a big, cunty merrygoround.

21 minutes ago, virginton said:

What evidence is there that Easdales actually want to fully take on the responsibility of owning GMFC? I'm sure that they've got plenty of other things to do with their time and money that don't come with the dire investment record of second tier Scottish football clubs. 

One of the most unfortunate legacies of the Rae era is that Morton fans can't seem to envisage an ownership model that doesn't involve as near as 100% control by one interested party. 

At the moment the GMST is the second largest shareholder - initial value £120k.

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

Because they have already shown an interest in taking over. Sandy already goes to just about every home game and has done for years, so he has an affection for the club.

There has been strong rumour about a takeover too.  Of all the scenarios over the future of the club this one to me is most likely to happen.

We'll see how things develop once they cut ties with the Rangers once and for all.

Sandy Easdale and Morton chairman Crawford Rae

14 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Because they have already shown an interest in taking over. Sandy already goes to just about every home game and has done for years, so he has an affection for the club.

There has been strong rumour about a takeover too.  Of all the scenarios over the future of the club this one to me is most likely to happen.

We'll see how things develop once they cut ties with the Rangers once and for all.

I asked for evidence that they wanted to own the entire football club. 'Going to home games' definitely isn't that. 'Strong rumours' - mostly on cesspool fan forums or Facebook pages - are not that either. 

The reason why you think this is 'the most likely' scenario to happen is because you can't wrap your head around businessmen wanting to own a stake in a football club (and avoid taking a massively dodgy investment in the process), rather than running it as their personal family fiefdom with no-one else getting a look in. That's a legacy of nearly twenty years of the Raes' ownership right there. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I asked for evidence that they wanted to own the entire football club. 'Going to home games' definitely isn't that. 'Strong rumours' - mostly on cesspool fan forums or Facebook pages - are not that either. 

The reason why you think this is 'the most likely' scenario to happen is because you can't wrap your head around businessmen wanting to own a stake in a football club (and avoid taking a massively dodgy investment in the process), rather than running it as their personal family fiefdom with no-one else getting a look in. That's a legacy of nearly twenty years of the Raes' ownership right there. 

I've not got evidence it's all conjecture at the moment that's why I put a question mark in my initial post.

Nobody knows for sure what will happen, including you. My "feeling" on what will happen going by what I've heard is that they indeed want to take over.

If they did take over it will not come as a shock to anyone. That's probably where I am at the moment

It's baffling to see Morton fans accept that Crawford Rae has no interest in anchoring so much of his family wealth to running a football club in perpetuity but believe that the Easdales are going to jump at the chance instead. I'm sure that they're rich by normal standards but are they able and willing to piss potentially £2 million up the wall for a laugh? I very much doubt it. 

The smart bet is that, if interested, they will buy a stake as Crawford begins to ease himself out of the door. And then seek to bring in other investors, as the speculative Llambias/Newcastle story suggested last year. 

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's baffling to see Morton fans accept that Crawford Rae has no interest in anchoring so much of his family wealth to running a football club in perpetuity but believe that the Easdales are going to jump at the chance instead. I'm sure that they're rich by normal standards but are they able and willing to piss potentially £2 million up the wall for a laugh? I very much doubt it. 

The smart bet is that, if interested, they will buy a stake as Crawford begins to ease himself out of the door. And then seek to bring in other investors, as the speculative Llambias/Newcastle story suggested last year. 

If they come in Crawford will be gone completely is my bet. I do agree they may bring in other investors though   

10 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

Oh, I don't know about that. They were happy enough to plough money into Sevco everytime they rattled the bucket at them. Seems throwing money at Football clubs is very much in the vein of what they do. 

If by 'ploughing money' you actually mean 'snapping up shares to sell on later when the crisis has abated for a bit', then sure. They were never going to be anything other than bit-part players due to their relatively limited resources. I'd have preferred it had they either let the club die or lost their money after investing anyway, but it's pretty clear that their investment has been hard-headed throughout.  Which is why the Sevconians ended up so seething about their presence and why they are getting out now, almost certainly with a profit after any loans have also been repaid.  

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If they come in Crawford will be gone completely is my bet. I do agree they may bring in other investors though   

Yeah that's how i see it.

I can see either 1 or both of them making an acceptable offer for the club in the Summer and Crawford will be out the door completely.

Think its pretty clear that things have changed from the Summer for whatever reason and as long as the existing debt won't be an issue, the deal will more than likely go through, just a case of when!

21 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

They have already embarked on a site accumulation excercise around the ground. That might be just for the current rental portfolio . However our ground might have value as part of some grander scheme for the whole area. Shades of HS perhaps. Maybe we will become a warehouse distribution hub for Sports Direct as well as a bus depot.