The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

14 hours ago, Colkitto said:

If Dundee genuinely want Tidser then you would imagine they would go for him this week rather than the end of season given their current league position.

Maybe that's why he didn't start the game yesterday?  

Dundee are never looking  at Tidser.

His next move will be Falkirk or Partick but after St Mirren are relegated they will be favourites as he stays in Paisley.

For me I think it's all agent pish and money. Is he not one of our highest earners and if so JJ probably thinks he can get two younger cheaper players to fit our three year plan of playing in the seaside leagues 

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetPieStall said:

I was trying to be diplomatic so  I didn't get buried under "but McKinnon is even worse" type posts, but yes.

Doubt you'd see many of those.

In the c**t stakes, McKinnon sails past JJ but doubt anyone would suggest that McKinnon doesn't have more legitimate claim to the term Manager than our charlatan. 

JJ hasn't set the heather alight since he's arrived that's fair to say. But blaming him for Tidser going to Falkirk is completely wrong.

Tidser is within his rights to speak with other clubs. He is within his rights to sign a PCA too.

If Falkirk are offering him better terms then it's up to the Chairman and the board to better it. They have 6 months to do so or he's off.

It’s become blatantly obvious that Tidser is desperate to get away from Johansson. He may not particularly want to leave Morton but if there's no prospect of Johansson being sacked then he'll feel he's being forced to go as it's the only way to escape his mismanagement.

This could easily blow up in the board's face. There's no amount of money Falkirk could offer to take Tidser now that would make the hounding they'll take from the fans worthwhile, however if Tidser does sign a pre-contract with them they may view it as preferable for him to go straight away considering everything that has gone on between the clubs this season, and Johansson may have no interest in working with him anymore. However, I doubt there's a single Morton fan who'd choose keeping Johansson over keeping Tidser.

If the only way Michael Tidser is willing to remain at Morton over going to Falkirk is Jonatan Johansson leaving the club, the club are going to have to sack Johansson. People can complain that players shouldn't be able to wield that amount of power, but the fact is that Johansson is obviously a blithering incompetent while Tidser is obviously our best player.

If the board back Johansson over Tidser than they're guaranteeing that a significant proportion of the support will turn against them and there's nothing they'll be able to do to get them back onside. A choice between our best player, a fan favourite with almost 250 games for the club, who started the season superbly under McKinnon, against the manager who has completely wasted him and has already got half the support wanting him sacked due to a succession of terrible results and performances. Choosing the James Grady figure whose sacking is already a matter of time would start a full scale sack the board revolt, and it's hard to see how they'd ever recover from it when some of them are already unpopular.

If they don't cut their losses and sack Johansson now they're just ensuring that they'll be getting hounded out of the club along with him when he inevitably goes a few months down the line.

2 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

JJ hasn't set the heather alight since he's arrived that's fair to say. But blaming him for Tidser going to Falkirk is completely wrong.

Tidser is within his rights to speak with other clubs. He is within his rights to sign a PCA too.

If Falkirk are offering him better terms then it's up to the Chairman and the board to better it. They have 6 months to do so or he's off.

You don’t think Tidser could be sick of Johansson’s continued failure to use hin properly and doesn’t want to waste any more of his career playing for a manager who wastes his obvious talent?

1 minute ago, Dunning1874 said:

You don’t think Tidser could be sick of Johansson’s continued failure to use hin properly and doesn’t want to waste any more of his career playing for a manager who wastes his obvious talent?

No, I think it's down to Falkirk offering him better terms. He's now 29 years of age. He'll go where the money is at this stage of his career.

If you think Morton sacking JJ and Tidser staying when he could get a better deal at Falkirk then that's just lunacy 

The board should be offering Tidser an improved contact and a testimonial. I'm guessing that's the only thing that would keep him here. 

I doubt the JJ thing is a massive issue. Tidser signed a new deal under Duffy, when he wasn't always first choice, so I don't think that would be a decisive factor. 

I don't want the JJ issue to distract from something very worrying which seems to be going on at a boardroom level. That's the bigger issue here. 

1 minute ago, SpoonTon said:

The board should be offering Tidser an improved contact and a testimonial. I'm guessing that's the only thing that would keep him here. 

I doubt the JJ thing is a massive issue. Tidser signed a new deal under Duffy, when he wasn't always first choice, so I don't think that would be a decisive factor. 

I don't want the JJ issue to distract from something very worrying which seems to be going on at a boardroom level. That's the bigger issue here. 

Nail firmly on head

14 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Yeah, not handing out new deals to players in January is hardly admin mk. II material. That's been 'going on' at this and most clubs at this level for years. 

The major issue here is in fact that totally useless James Grady figure in the dugout, who has used the big bad board as a deflection tactic from his abysmal performances and shite results. 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yeah, not handing out new deals to players in January is hardly admin mk. II material. That's been 'going on' at this and most clubs at this level for years. 

The major issue here is in fact that totally useless James Grady figure in the dugout, who has used the big bad board as a deflection tactic from his abysmal performances and shite results. 

The major issue is without doubt the board. For me, it's now sinking in on what we all thought would happen when Crawford took over in that he's just not interested.

Maybe in the past Dougie would have made sure Tidser would stay at the club, but no chance of that happening with Crawford. 

Budgets and squads are being cut is the reality. To deflect what is happening to JJ is massively missing what is going on at the club.  

Blame JJ, I'm sure Crawford will be happy at the deflection away from him 

It's not the board that goes around shunting central midfielders onto the wing and putting Tidser on the bench to play absolute dung like Dylan fucking Dykes. It's not the board whose turgid style of football is completely incapable of carving out decent goalscoring chances regardless of formation, team selection and bringing in his latest hotshot signing from the zombie outfit. The position of the club in August was absolutely fine; what has changed between now and then is the arrival of a complete and utter dud in the dugout.

It's no surprise though to see at least a section of the Morton fanbase buying into his wild deflection from getting horsed by pub teams. 

Edited by vikingTON

Why does it always have to be one or the other, the board or the manager? Both are major issues at this club and both are not mutually exclusive.

Why does it take another absolute failure of a manager getting to the point where he needs binned immediately before the main detractors of the board actually open their mouth more frequently? It's the worst time to do it when there's a more pressing short term issue that needs dealt with, the manager flatlining.

JJ is a dud. Another with a loser mentality full of excuses for his failings. To think, we thought Duffy was as low as we could get in that category but FFS JJ has found a whole new level.

Hound the manager, get him out, then focus on the continued stagnation of the club by redirecting that hounding towards the board.

11 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Why does it always have to be one or the other, the board or the manager? Both are major issues at this club and both are not mutually exclusive.

Why does it take another absolute failure of a manager getting to the point where he needs binned immediately before the main detractors of the board actually open their mouth more frequently? It's the worst time to do it when there's a more pressing short term issue that needs dealt with, the manager flatlining.

JJ is a dud. Another with a loser mentality full of excuses for his failings. To think, we thought Duffy was as low as we could get in that category but FFS JJ has found a whole new level.

Hound the manager, get him out, then focus on the continued stagnation of the club by redirecting that hounding towards the board.

Just to be clear, I was saying that it's both. As I said, JJ's performance as manager is absolutely an issue. But it seems like some would see it turn into a Steve Kean type distraction. 

Duffy dropped Tidser and shunted him out to the wing. He still signed a new two year deal. Blaming this particular issue on JJ would ignore those facts. It would also ignore the fact that we are struggling to compete with the teams around us for players. It doesn't excuse JJ's performance or his misuse of Tidser, but I won't blame something on JJ when I think the responsibility belongs with the board. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

It’s become blatantly obvious that Tidser is desperate to get away from Johansson. He may not particularly want to leave Morton but if there's no prospect of Johansson being sacked then he'll feel he's being forced to go as it's the only way to escape his mismanagement.

This could easily blow up in the board's face. There's no amount of money Falkirk could offer to take Tidser now that would make the hounding they'll take from the fans worthwhile, however if Tidser does sign a pre-contract with them they may view it as preferable for him to go straight away considering everything that has gone on between the clubs this season, and Johansson may have no interest in working with him anymore. However, I doubt there's a single Morton fan who'd choose keeping Johansson over keeping Tidser.

If the only way Michael Tidser is willing to remain at Morton over going to Falkirk is Jonatan Johansson leaving the club, the club are going to have to sack Johansson. People can complain that players shouldn't be able to wield that amount of power, but the fact is that Johansson is obviously a blithering incompetent while Tidser is obviously our best player.

If the board back Johansson over Tidser than they're guaranteeing that a significant proportion of the support will turn against them and there's nothing they'll be able to do to get them back onside. A choice between our best player, a fan favourite with almost 250 games for the club, who started the season superbly under McKinnon, against the manager who has completely wasted him and has already got half the support wanting him sacked due to a succession of terrible results and performances. Choosing the James Grady figure whose sacking is already a matter of time would start a full scale sack the board revolt, and it's hard to see how they'd ever recover from it when some of them are already unpopular.

How exactly is it blatantly obvious that relationships have broken down.?

Buiding a team around a 29 year old midfielder without any pace is hardly a master plan unless your mate Prudence  is prepared to loosen the purse strings 

If they don't cut their losses and sack Johansson now they're just ensuring that they'll be getting hounded out of the club along with him when he inevitably goes a few months down the line.

If the picture of a disheveled orc on the blog really is one of you I think it might give your posts a bit more gravitas if you announced that you had binned your stylist instead of incessantl urging JJ s sacking. Self awareness should come first.

How exactly is it blatantly obvious that relationships have broken down and why, if you rate Tidser so highly, do you think he would sign a PCA with Falkirk before their punishment is announced and a stay in the seaside leagues a definite non starter?  In any event building a team around an ageing creative midfielder with no pace only makes sense if we have wingers, players who can work the channels etc. We don’t.

Colkitto has got it spot on, the Board have to change direction or be changed and that includes Prudence your mentor.

Just to be clear, I was saying that it's both. As I said, JJ's performance as manager is absolutely an issue. But it seems like some would see it turn into a Steve Kean type distraction. 
Duffy dropped Tidser and shunted him out to the wing. He still signed a new two year deal. Blaming this particular issue on JJ would ignore those facts. It would also ignore the fact that we are struggling to compete with the teams around us for players. It doesn't excuse JJ's performance or his misuse of Tidser, but I won't blame something on JJ when I think the responsibility belongs with the board. 
Not wholy directed at you, but the debate on here and the Morton forum keeps deflecting to the board only when the criticism of the manager is intensifying.

Case in point, there is a 'Johansson's future' thread on there but not one about the board. The board talk is on the Johansson discussion, deflecting from the here and now not the other way about.

Duffy was a clown and was rightfully hounded in the end by some and binned, JJ the same but worse. Time to hound and bin.

The board need to explain themselves as the new focus from the start of the season seems to be gone (taking JJ's word as the only gospel). If that is indeed the case and we are returning to the loser rhetoric of previous years, it won't be accepted and they will be hounded.

The Tidser thing is just the latest debacle on the JJ list though, not the whole conversation. Tactics, selections, performance, results, attitude, and ability to identify and make use of a good player have all built to an easy assessment of dud.