The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

The game v Partick really showed up the deficiencies (and some of the positives) in the full back position. 

Both McKeown and Tumilty looked decent going forward, it was a gorgeous pass for the second, but any time we looked to attack both full backs were ripped apart. Completely unable to defend 1 v 1 against wingers and none of our wide players are competent at tracking back and helping their full back.

This meant we had to play stupidly deep so they never got in behind. So I can see why we're finding goal scoring difficult as we play so deep but also why we've had a habit of conceding a number of goals after going behind as there's no protection outwide when we try and be more expansive.

I don't think either of them were ripped apart. Partick played a lot of side to side passes and never really got into dangerous positions. And even when they got crosses in, mostly from relatively deep positions, the centre halves defended them really well. 

It's the midfield that needs sorted. Absolutely no pace whatsoever and nothing to link to the attack.

I honestly can't think of a worse pair of fullbacks in the last 15 years than Tumilty and McKeown. They are absolutely garbage. Massive credit to Tumilty for his part in the winner yesterday, but it was about the only positive thing that either full-back did all game. McKeown in particular didn't find a Morton player with a pass all game, and I lost count of the number of clearances he shanked into the stand in the second half.

Now that Iredale is fit McKeown needs to be benched, and a replacement for Tumilty should be a priority.

14 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I honestly can't think of a worse pair of fullbacks in the last 15 years than Tumilty and McKeown.

The full backs are a concern, but settle down with that patter. They are both comfortably better than pond-life like Marc Fitzpatrick or Football Manager re-gens like Craig Black.

8 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

The full backs are a concern, but settle down with that patter. They are both comfortably better than pond-life like Marc Fitzpatrick or Football Manager re-gens like Craig Black.

There have been worse full backs in isolation, I agree, but 2 at the same time? I honestly can't think of a worse pair playing in the same team.

I honestly don't know how you can't see the improvement on both. Yesterday was night and day in comparison. Yes, McKeown's distribution was poor but defensively they worked hard and covered well for the total lack of help from the midfield

I marked Tumilty out as a worry from the first home game due to his reluctance to track back and he's only got worse as the season has went on.

Although he's okay going forward, what he brings in an attacking sense is nowhere near good enough to mask his lack of defensive ability.

We will be stuck with him the rest of the season I'd imagine as there are more pressing positions that need improved but he should report immediately to the bin the moment the season is over.

Aidan nesbitt what like??
Lightweight pacey winger. Just as likely to pull a piece of magic out of nowhere as he is to go missing. Always works hard for the team though from memory.

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

16 hours ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Offers good pace and width. His positional sense and reading of the game need worked on, and has a habit of disappearing for whole matches at a time, but he is a decent player at this level. I'd have him back.

24 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

So we’re back in fourth — unbelievable, I know — and the window is open... two or three moved on and two or three better players in and let’s get on with it...

Where's Denny Johnstone these days? 

On 03/01/2019 at 22:24, dundeeunited83 said:

Quick, skilful player with no end product when he was with us. I think it was something like 1 goal and 2 assists over a season. If he's added a bit of composure and ability in the final third then he'll be a very good signing, if not then he'll just be like your other wingers.