The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

22 hours ago, LargsTON said:

He contributes nothing.  A ghost.   I never rated him the first time around either but I expected him to return a much improved player.   How wrong I was.

8 hours ago, Alibi said:

I assume you mean Tidser.  He's a decent player but in recent weeks he seems to have faded away - rarely gets near the opposition goal now, but that's probably due to the team formation being a shambles.  I reckon he would be a lot better with someone like Andy Murdoch in there somewhere to provide the pace and energy.  We have no pace at all in midifled, possibly excepting Iredale when he's played on the left - he can shit a bit.

I assume he means McAlister... wouldn't say he contributes nothing,  but it's pretty clear that a guy whose game was based on running just isn't the same proposition at 32 and after a leg break. Doesn't look at all like a player who's coming off a decent career at a better level.

Millar playing where he did at the end for St Johnstone -- deep and dictating the play -- with Tidser and Murdoch in front... that is a midfield at this level. Thanks again, Ray...

On 21/12/2018 at 11:13, Alibi said:

I assume you mean Tidser.  He's a decent player but in recent weeks he seems to have faded away - rarely gets near the opposition goal now, but that's probably due to the team formation being a shambles.  I reckon he would be a lot better with someone like Andy Murdoch in there somewhere to provide the pace and energy.  We have no pace at all in midifled, possibly excepting Iredale when he's played on the left - he can shit a bit.

I still can't believe that Murdoch was allowed to leave. Possibly the snakes biggest f**k up.

I'm not getting the "I don't blame McLean for wanting to leave" thing. His attitude has been appalling in games. Sometimes he's completely anonymous and rightly subbed.

Maybe that's why he never made it at Motherwell? He was good for the first few games then fell away completely and subsequently dropped.   

37 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I'm not getting the "I don't blame McLean for wanting to leave" thing. His attitude has been appalling in games. Sometimes he's completely anonymous and rightly subbed.

Maybe that's why he never made it at Motherwell? He was good for the first few games then fell away completely and subsequently dropped.   

I think the only reason you'll see McLean having a bad attitude is if you're looking to see it. If I wasn't getting a game in this Morton team I'd be pissed off as well. Nothing I've seen of him recently (which hasn't been much) gives much, if any, insight into his attitude.

Edited by BishopLenBrennan

7 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

I think the only reason you'll see McLean having a bad attitude is if you're looking to see it. If I wasn't getting a game in this Morton team I'd be pissed off as well. Nothing I've seen of him recently (which hasn't been much) gives much, if any, insight into his attitude.

He's not getting a game because hes not been performing when he was in the team. It's as simple as that. 

When you're out of the team and you get a chance to get back in you try and make sure you don't get dropped again. When he's came in he looks disinterested and shows nothing.

I don't believe that's down to lack of quality, it's more down to attitude in my opinion  

3 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

I don't believe that's down to lack of quality, it's more down to attitude in my opinion  

What does that say about Morton, though? We’ve had many players in the last ten years or so who are good enough ability wise to play for Morton but their attitude is stinking. There is no ambition at the club. Nothing to drive players on to be even better IMO.

2 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

What does that say about Morton, though? We’ve had many players in the last ten years or so who are good enough ability wise to play for Morton but their attitude is stinking. There is no ambition at the club. Nothing to drive players on to be even better IMO.

I think it comes down to players in the end. Why has he not made it at Motherwell for instance?  

Playing in the top league is surely all the incentive you need. I don't believe he lacks ability, but for me he has a poor attitude. 

Rumours of players not putting everything into training - I'm certain he was one of them

Why should the chairman release more money than our summer budget - which hardly anyone was complaining about - to give to a hopeless TTGJ?

If there’s any money going spare then it’s best put to use emptying the manager and trying again.

Why should the chairman release more money than our summer budget - which hardly anyone was complaining about - to give to a hopeless TTGJ?

If there’s any money going spare then it’s best put to use emptying the manager and trying again.

Cant wait for you to get the managers job.... plenty to say without the ability to back it up. Im guessing you won the champs league on football manager?

8 hours ago, montheton said:

Cant wait for you to get the managers job.... plenty to say without the ability to back it up. Im guessing you won the champs league on football manager?

You are addressing the World Solo Subuteo Champion who's only weakness is a penchant for posting GIFs of middle aged men with a connection to cooking. 

JJ just needs to appear on Celebrity Masterchef to swing it. 

11 hours ago, montheton said:

I assume you've never criticised a player without having played professionally, never criticised a film without directing an Oscar winner yourself, never criticised a song without writing and recording a platinum album?

The 'liKE tO sEe yOu dO bETteR!!11111!!!!!' response to criticisms of players and managers is probably the most ridiculous non-sequitur going.

I assume you've never criticised a player without having played professionally, never criticised a film without directing an Oscar winner yourself, never criticised a song without writing and recording a platinum album?
The 'liKE tO sEe yOu dO bETteR!!11111!!!!!' response to criticisms of players and managers is probably the most ridiculous non-sequitur going.
Its up there with people who assert that you cant point out hilarity involving their team if your own team lies below them in the league structure.

14 hours ago, virginton said:

Because we need more players in. We need defenders who can defend and strikers who can score goals.

I don't see the point of paying off 18 month contracts and bringing in a new management team when we desperately require funds to be spent on strengthening the squad.

Whats's a new manager going to do with the same squad of players?  

I'm not convinced by JJ so far but I'm willing to see what he does over the transfer window with funds hopefully released by the chairman/board. 

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If you mean never based a critique solely on uninformed, unbalanced,  knicker wetting subjectivity of the type posted by you and Dr Dross in regard to JJ then your assumption may well be correct.

Your footer says all we need to know about you. 

Edited by Branch Ton
Typo

15 hours ago, virginton said:

In answer to the (rather stupid, tbh) question - in expectation of improving the quality of player in some positions and in expectation of addressing the imbalances in the squad, all with the aim of making us more competitive, hopefully more attractive to watch (tho that would be a bonus) and all with the intention of improving our chances of achieving a playoff place come the end of the season. It's hardly rocket science - I can just imagine how much you and a few others would be bleating if the club did nothing to improve the playing staff next month.

Re your second "point" - no matter how much you and a few others gibber on about the manager, as things stand it's very unlikely that he won't be given this transfer window to improve things. You're entitled to your opinion of course, but get used to the facts - a dozen or so knickerwetters across two message boards calling for the manager to be binned will have no effect on anything whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Nonsense, there are many more ridiculous on here on a daily basis.

43 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Because we need more players in. We need defenders who can defend and strikers who can score goals.

I don't see the point of paying off 18 month contracts and bringing in a new management team when we desperately require funds to be spent on strengthening the squad.

Whats's a new manager going to do with the same squad of players?  

I'm not convinced by JJ so far but I'm willing to see what he does over the transfer window with funds hopefully released by the chairman/board. 

The only rational and sensible post of the three. I think most fans probably feel broadly similar to this - most of the ones I know certainly do -  but unlike the vocal minority don't feel the need to post it. Thank gawd someone has done.