The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

2 hours ago, virginton said:

He's getting judged now in every single game. If you think that he's somehow got a free pass until February then you've not been paying attention. 

He's not getting a free pass. I've already criticized him for failing to change tactics when it mattered in games.

Judgement is reserved on whether I think he'll make it or not once I see what/if changes are made to the squad come January

11 hours ago, Colkitto said:

He's not getting a free pass. I've already criticized him for failing to change tactics when it mattered in games.

Judgement is reserved on whether I think he'll make it or not once I see what/if changes are made to the squad come January

Good for you; most supporters are already casting judgment on his ability now though. Because regular insipid shoeings are a telling feature of whether a manager is any good or not. 

He will come under serious pressure from the terraces unless results significantly improve before the window opens.

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

He will come under serious pressure from the terraces unless results significantly improve before the window opens.

I don’t think he will. He’ll come under pressure if the current pattern — terrible result usually followed by a decent performance — slips into one terrible result after another... and/or we get embarrassed at Grangemouth.

Otherwise, even though we are obviously ‘judging’ him, he’ll get the chance to tweak it in January. Only then — and this is the main point — will we have a secure sense of what we’ve actually appointed and where he might take us.

We have two difficult home matches and two absolutely must-win away matches this month. If the team registers as poor results in them as in the past four matches then the atmosphere is going to be absolutely poisonous. Three points or some other shan total for this month will make up a lot of minds - Falkirk and Partick away have potential shame games written all over them. 

There needs to be an improvement now or his credibility will be largely spent by the New Year. 

Only then — and this is the main point — will we have a secure sense of what we’ve actually appointed and where he might take us.

This is wishful thinking. Or 'bollocks', to put it more frankly. We already know that we do not have a manager capable of organising a team to be more than the sum of its parts. There is no  coherent game plan or style of play that JJ favours; if he has one then he is already failing to communicate it to the players. 

It's understandable that people want to give a new man every possible chance that they can, but the transfer window is now being built up into an all-important turning point without any real grounds for it. Not least because the manager will have limited room to ship players out and bring in replacements in January anyway. It is simply clutching at straws to hope that we have an unearthed a genius in the transfer market who will turn things round based only on that. Unless the management team can improve their handling of the team in training and on match-day then January is not going to be the judgment point for their tenure. 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

We have two difficult home matches and two absolutely must-win away matches this month. If the team registers as poor results in them as in the past four matches then the atmosphere is going to be absolutely poisonous. Three points or some other shan total for this month will make up a lot of minds - Falkirk and Partick away have potential shame games written all over them. 

There needs to be an improvement now or his credibility will be largely spent by the New Year. 

This is wishful thinking. Or 'bollocks', to put it more frankly. We already know that we do not have a manager capable of organising a team to be more than the sum of its parts. There is no  coherent game plan or style of play that JJ favours; if he has one then he is already failing to communicate it to the players. 

It's understandable that people want to give a new man every possible chance that they can, but the transfer window is now being built up into an all-important turning point without any real grounds for it. Not least because the manager will have limited room to ship players out and bring in replacements in January anyway. It is simply clutching at straws to hope that we have an unearthed a genius in the transfer market who will turn things round based only on that. Unless the management team can improve their handling of the team in training and on match-day then January is not going to be the judgment point for their tenure. 

Might well be slightly wishful, but to say it’s bollocks is, well, bollocks. You might think you ‘know’ what we’ve got, I don’t.

The set-up Johansson favours is, I think, 4-4-2; he’s accepted he can’t do that with the players we’ve got.

Your suggestion that the January window isn’t important for a rookie manager who’s inherited players he didn’t sign.... that really is bollocks, as is the stuff about ‘unearthed genius’ (who exactly is saying that?). What he is is a guy who has coached the Finnish national team and Rangers*; if having operated at that level doesn’t help him make one or two signings that the likes of Duffy couldn’t make, I will begin to feel we’ve been conned.

I’ve said above that Grangemouth away is important for him due to the circumstances, but not getting beat there (at the very least) and the current week about routine with performances/results will be more than enough to see us (and him) to the window.

We might very well learn more between then and now, but January/February will, whether you like it or not, be the decisive point.

Your suggestion that the January window isn’t important for a rookie manager who’s inherited players he didn’t sign.... that really is bollocks,

I'm not saying that it isn't important for him - I'm saying that happy-clappers have massively overrated the effect that this window will have - particularly  given JJ will have very little room for manoeuvre anyway. Even if he at best unearths a single absolute gem, that would still contribute little without having a credible tactical setup to build around him .  We're not Gretna in the Second Division here -  even if the manager was absolutely superb in the transfer market we could never coast to our targets based on that alone. 

What he is is a guy who has coached the Finnish national team and Rangers*; if having operated at that level doesn’t help him make one or two signings that the likes of Duffy couldn’t make, I will begin to feel we’ve been conned.

The same Finnish national team and a Sevco oufit who have been managed at a more senior level by Mixu Paatelainen and Ally McCoist respectively. Given that I wouldn't let either of them near the Morton dugout, I'm not convinced that coaches from the same teams should be dealt with in such hushed tones, But again, none of this really matters: JJ can't overhaul the squad he has in January anyway. He must make the best of what he's got and make some upgrades if he turns out to better than an average manager in the transfer market. If he can't do that then he's finished - the parade of heavy defeats has cut short the time that he'd reasonably expect to have to build his own team. That's football. 

I’ve said above that Grangemouth away is important for him due to the circumstances, but not getting beat there (at the very least) and the current week about routine with performances/results will be more than enough to see us (and him) to the window.

While I am convinced that they are utter dung and should be getting roundly sworded by any barely competent Morton side, it's hardly outrageous to envisage a rancid, insipid defeat there - JJ has all too many of those under his belt already.  And that would be utterly fatal to the manager's credibility; the same applies to Partick at the end of the month.  

Seven points or better from this month is a realistic goal that would put us back on the right track; we could just as easily get three points or less though, which will turn the atmosphere into utter poison. Which is where your 'he'll only be judged in January' claim turns out to be utter bollocks btw.  Once again, I want JJ to show his worth and prove that he was a sound choice as a manager - but that requires him and that invisible man Houston pulling their fingers out of their arse now and stopping the rot. The acid tests for their tenure are going to happen before they get a chance to change the squad; so it's about time that they started focusing on what they've got instead of making crap excuses for failure 

Edited by vikingTON

On 06/12/2018 at 18:30, Dindeleux said:

Just checking from the top of the Premiership to see how shitey wee Morten are doing.

Still shite I see.

What a shitey wee club you all support.

IMG_0293.jpg

Hmmm.......  You seem to be quite a strange wee person.

Outside of the two sets of polarised fannies and some AyrUnited fans I think most observers of Scottish fitba’ will be reasonably happy to see any team other than the two erse cheeks at the top of the league, even though we all realise it’ll only be for a short while. Probably till Cellic play their games in hand, maybe sooner. Fair enuff, that’s the way the world is.

But here we have you, apparently feeling superior to a group of people that you don’t know and never will, because a bunch of footballers that you don’t know and never will are better than a bunch of footballers that they don’t know and never will. And being stupid enough to publicise that fact.

Now, all clubs have a proportion of tiny-minded posters who share those traits, including us. I doubt, though, that very many of them would bother too much about trying to get a rise out of supporters of a club that they have no rivalry with, a club that means nothing to them other than a collective shrug of the shoulders and a club that is not even playing in the same division.

And if any of them do, then they are as sad as you are. If this is the way you choose to enjoy your moment, for a moment is sadly all that it will be, then you really should take a look at yourself, shut up and make the most of it, for nobody else cares.

Well, wotever the second half holds for us, given the halftime score  at Parkheid I doubt we'lll hear much from that Dindeleux dick for the next few days........  Small mercies, and all that.......

Edited by Rudolph Hucker