The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

My point was really that, without knowing what individuals are paid, it's impossible to make a judgement about what should have been done. K. Thomson might be on pennies, but that's all part of the mystery. If he's on anything like a standard full-time wage, McKinnon has royally fucked it.

We'll find out in January if, as expected, he's released: will Johansson want to bring in another midfield option? And will there be cash to do that? Four players to cover three positions (if we're always going to play three central, which looks likely) is thin... but then not as thin as six players to cover five positions across the back.

It appears JJ has a bit of faith in some of the younger players and (not wanting to put pressure on the new Andreas Moller and saviour of Scottish football) Reece Lyons seems adequate back up for the four main midfielders. if/when Supertramp Jr is released I reckon that money will go toward giving us another option at right back or on the wings or something. 

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It appears JJ has a bit of faith in some of the younger players and (not wanting to put pressure on the new Andreas Moller and saviour of Scottish football) Reece Lyons seems adequate back up for the four main midfielders. if/when Supertramp Jr is released I reckon that money will go toward giving us another option at right back or on the wings or something. 

Might also be beneficial to have another central defender too if we are going to stick with the 3-5-2 from the last two matches, as I’m sure Kilday, Waddell and Buchanan are the only three that we have with no back up.

Ex-Morton player Flemming Nielsen has died aged 84. The Dane joined from Italian club Atalanta in 1964 and played 29 games scoring two goals between 64 & 66 before returning to Denmark. Turned out for the national side 26 times scoring 4.

January approaches, no idea if we have any money to spend, but surely Johansson signed on the basis that he would get to put his own stamp on the squad?

Most agree that the squad is unbalanced, but there doesn’t seem to be much agreement about individual players or priorities. Here’s my assessment of individuals so far... weigh right in:

Gaston - better than Scully

Scully - not as good as Gaston. I’d be quite happy to see him go.

Tumilty - one of many who frustrates. Sometimes looks pretty accomplished, but doesn’t contribute enough and seems to start games very nervously. Definitely need another option in his position.

Kilday - I’m not saying he’s done at this level, but he definitely _looks_ done at this level at the moment.

Buchanan - belongs in the ‘frustrating’ group. Every time I think maybe we’ve signed a big, dominant centre-half, he goes all nervy and hoofball. Needs to settle, because the back line depends heavily on the player in that position.

Waddell - young and a wee bit variable, but the quality is obvious. In addition to being able to play, he often does extravagant things like winning tackles and headers, which this slightly soft Morton team don’t seem that keen on.

Iredale - I like him a lot as a wing-back. A bit sad, though, that a left wing-back is often our best attacking option.

McKeown - Massively inconsistent. Have a feeling he might not see out the season with us.

McAlister - probably going to divide opinion. No doubts about his effort and he should get credit for doing the dull stuff, but he just hasn’t looked like a guy who’s played at a higher level. I thought he’d have more influence on games.

Tidser - most important player in the team, simple as that.

Millar - quality is obvious and, like McAlister, the attitude is great. Not quite sure yet where he should be playing: alongside Tidser instead of Telfer? Or deeper instead of McAlister?

Telfer - obvious ability, but very lightweight. Kind of player that might flourish in a better, more confident team... but slight concerns about him if we get dragged into a scrap. Never a wide player.

Oliver - most frustrating player in the squad. Flashes of ability and intelligence outweighed by the fact that he either can’t or won’t compete physically... and most definitely doesn’t ‘have a goal in him’. I’ve just about given up on him, tbh.

McShug - far from perfect, but will score if played in a two. Johnstone might be the partner for him if we can get him fit, but he would thrive alongside someone with pace and/or physical presence (so not Oliver).

McLean - decent player, one of the few who runs direct at opponents, but has looked like a fish out of water since we went to a 3-5-2. I’d probably rather see him alongside McShug than Oliver, but he’s not the answer. Might be away?

Johnstone, Thomson, and Bell haven’t played enough to really comment on, but only Johnstone, unless he’s crocked, inspires any confidence.

Of the young players, Strapp and Lyon have shown enough to be considered squad options.

Priorities for me, then, in order:

1. A forward who can play alongside McShug (or Johnstone).

2. Two defenders, one for RB/RWB as cover or first choice, the other for CB, ideally as first choice.

3. Another midfield option, with pace/mobility/muscle.

McKeown, Bell, Thomson, McLean (and the mystery that is Kyle Thomson) away to fund it? (Scully, Kilday, Oliver could join them without tears. But don’t expect that to happen).

It is kinda frustrating that we done all our transfer business early on and had a set up that suited McKinnon only for him to snake out like the snakey snake his is. Left us in a bit of a limbo. Agree that a new manager coming in would have been told he'll be able to make a few additions in January. With the Finnish league over maybe JJ knows a few ringers who can come over for free?

I reckon we'll steer clear of relegation but fall short of the play offs and then give JJ 2019/20 to sort himself and the team out. As long as we don't nose dive into the bottom two he'll get that.

4 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It is kinda frustrating that we done all our transfer business early on and had a set up that suited McKinnon only for him to snake out like the snakey snake his is. Left us in a bit of a limbo. Agree that a new manager coming in would have been told he'll be able to make a few additions in January. With the Finnish league over maybe JJ knows a few ringers who can come over for free?

I reckon we'll steer clear of relegation but fall short of the play offs and then give JJ 2019/20 to sort himself and the team out. As long as we don't nose dive into the bottom two he'll get that.

I agree, as long as we comfortably finish at least 6th and were properly competing for play offs I'll be happy this season. However, should JJ still be in charge, the minimum we should be accepting is play offs if the ambition truly is to have Morton in the premiership within three seasons or else we have regressed.

Failing to reach the play-offs without a single credible cup run to show for the campaign either would be a rancid showing. Not reaching at least the last 16 of the Scottish Cup would be entirely on the current manager's watch as well given the favourable draw we've been given. 

Agreed. We simply must be in the last 16 draw with how kind the draw has been to us. A defeat tonight is completely unacceptable.

On a playoff challenge, 4th spot is up for grabs for 4 teams, including us, so that should still be the aim.  Top 3 seem to be set and stone unless Ayr have a major collapse. 

I can see 3/4 leaving in Jan -Thomson, Thomson, Tiffoney, and maybe MacLean. Bell and Johnstone have been a pair of nightmare signings. both probably on good wages and barely kicked a ball between them. We keep hearing from JJ that they are making progress and then nothing. Quicker they are back the better to give us more options up top, especially with Oliver now out too.  McHugh and Thomson up top for the foreseeable i reckon.

Hopefully  4/5 new signings for Jan and then JJ can have no excuses. He must know the weak links in our squad, know the positions that need strengthening and identifying targets now. Houston will have a fair bit of knowledge on signing targets so he has a big part to play too. 

We have a decent chance of top 4 if we have a good Jan. We need to careful though as if we don't improve the quality, we could get dragged the other way. Thistle and Falkirk are bound to throw a few quid at it in Jan and you would expect them to show signs of improvement.