The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 29/10/2018 at 16:41, ayrmad said:

Aye but we'll be on Directors Best and Golden Showers all round if he stays.

You are used to getting pished on I suppose.

On 28/10/2018 at 01:22, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I believe we can sign them on an amateur contract.
Just so happens they'll also get a coupla hundred quid a week for coaching the U-15s once a week ;)

Maybe you hadn't heard, but registered sex offenders generally aren't allowed to do that.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Two managers, two goalkeepers, every formation in the book, wildly unbalanced squad, hardly any pace, legions of injured 'strikers', haven't actually 'played well' at any stage... and we're fourth! Fourth, I tell you...

Love this fuckin club.

Is it really that unbalanced?

2 keepers, 3 fullbacks, 3 centre halves, 4 centre mids, 2 wingers, 5 forwards.

We have every position covered, some stronger than others obviously!  I'd say wingers are our obv weak spot as Maclean is inconsistent and Tiff is just shite( one of the main reasons we are playing 352 now id imagine) 

Excluding Kyle Thomson and the dev players from those numbers obv.

Think 1 issue this season has been injuries, just  like most other seasons.  Gaston, Waddell, Kilday, Millar, Telfer, Tiffoney, Thomson, Johnstone and Bell have all had periods being out, 4 of.them still are!

Get Johnstone, Millar and Bell fit and back in the squad and JJ will have plenty of options.

2 hours ago, madton said:

Is it really that unbalanced?

2 keepers, 3 fullbacks, 3 centre halves, 4 centre mids, 2 wingers, 5 forwards.

We have every position covered, some stronger than others obviously!  I'd say wingers are our obv weak spot as Maclean is inconsistent and Tiff is just shite( one of the main reasons we are playing 352 now id imagine) 

Excluding Kyle Thomson and the dev players from those numbers obv.

Think 1 issue this season has been injuries, just  like most other seasons.  Gaston, Waddell, Kilday, Millar, Telfer, Tiffoney, Thomson, Johnstone and Bell have all had periods being out, 4 of.them still are!

Get Johnstone, Millar and Bell fit and back in the squad and JJ will have plenty of options.

That’s right... we were so lacking in wide players/pace and over-supplied with forwards/centre-mids of one kind or another that 3-5-2 was maybe the only answer. Unbalanced.

And having six players to cover five positions across the back now that we’ve done it remains pretty badly unbalanced (I gave someone pelters for suggesting Scott F. Tiffoney at wing back... wee knock to Tumilty and it could happen).

Pray for Kerr Waddell (and that Johansson has a wee something up his sleeve for January).

I notice Robert Thomson starting today for the reserves. 

Why no Kyle Thomson though? He hasn't played in weeks but was listed as a sub on Saturday, so surely can't ne injured. Strange to say the least...

He's only on a 6 month deal so I imagine he's off in a few weeks any way? 

The K. Thomson signing is one for Scooby Doo and his wee pals... an utter mystery. I can only assume that, seeing him with the other players at training on a regular basis, they’ve come to the conclusion that he’s nowhere near good enough.

Don’t want to retread the whole Andy Murdoch thing, but I’d love to know the cash difference between what we’ve been paying Thomson and what Murdoch would have signed back on for... the answer to that should be submitted as evidence at the trial of that fuckin rat McKinnon... and if we’re talking a couple of hundred quid, the sentence should be death.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

I notice Robert Thomson starting today for the reserves. 

Why no Kyle Thomson though? He hasn't played in weeks but was listed as a sub on Saturday, so surely can't ne injured. Strange to say the least...

He's only on a 6 month deal so I imagine he's off in a few weeks any way? 

Noticed that fringe 1st team players/subs from the weekend rarely play in the "reserves". 

I find it bizarre that Kyle Thomson has been on the first team bench the last 2 weeks without coming on, then isn't deemed to be worthy of any game time with the reserves. Surely an under 20 player is more worthy of a place in the first team squad if that were the case?

19 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Don’t want to retread the whole Andy Murdoch thing, but I’d love to know the cash difference between what we’ve been paying Thomson and what Murdoch would have signed back on for... the answer to that should be submitted as evidence at the trial of that fuckin rat McKinnon... and if we’re talking a couple of hundred quid, the sentence should be death.

I don't think it was about money - McKinnon didn't want to keep Murdoch on.  For that alone he should have been sacked.

Murdoch gets better and better each passing day with us it seems.

I  liked him , but it's not like we let Messi go. He was great with Jamie Lindsay in his 1st season but wasn't exactly a standout last season.  Did he get many Man of the Match awards? Was he in contention for player of the year?  I don't think he was even mentioned. No doubt he was a solid, dependable option for us but think some go overboard on just how good he was for us. If he was that good, he would have got a better move than Ayr ( No disrespect of course, well, maybe a wee bit)

I really like the way our midfield is set up.  Jim sits protecting the back 4 and stays extremely disciplined ( which is why some probably don't see his influence) and allows Millar/Telfer and Tids to get move involved higher up the park. Jim himself said he was suffering from an illness recently so perhaps wasn't performing 100% but now appears to be over that. 

We all liked Murdoch, but would we be better off  in the league with him in our team, I honestly don't think we would.

Meh. I think we could have had five midfielders in Jim, Millar, Tidser, Telfer and Murdoch that would have gave all five plenty playing time in a three with the ability to change it around depending on opponents/injury/form etc and everyone would play enough to keep 'em all happy. I think he was a good player, young and with potential resale value and releasing him was a mistake but it is in the one area of the squad that I'm pretty happy with our options available. It's not the end of the world that he's gone but it was a mistake.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Meh. I think we could have had five midfielders in Jim, Millar, Tidser, Telfer and Murdoch that would have gave all five plenty playing time in a three with the ability to change it around depending on opponents/injury/form etc and everyone would play enough to keep 'em all happy. I think he was a good player, young and with potential resale value and releasing him was a mistake but it is in the one area of the squad that I'm pretty happy with our options available. It's not the end of the world that he's gone but it was a mistake.

And we'd also have been left with about 50p to build the remainder of the squad. The only club that can afford fully five first team central midfielders of that calibre and payscale in their squad right now is Ross County: nobody with a comparable budget to ourselves has that level of depth. 

The club had a choice to make in the summer. I'd much rather they took the chance on higher calibre players being able to provide genuine quality this season over those who played their own role in finishing 7th in a stinking division last season. 

On 30/10/2018 at 13:59, Principal Flutie said:

I can't see St. Mirren going for him. I can't even see Dundee going for him now that McCann is out.

He'll not be going to Dundee regardless.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

And we'd also have been left with about 50p to build the remainder of the squad.

The rest of the squad looks like it was built with 50p some times. I doubt the total wage outlay on Scully, Bell and Thomson equals what we could have kept Murdoch with. 

Who knows. Maybe Thomson will go on to be the new Claudio Reyna