The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

We really need to go and get a striker. Wont be a popular choice with the fans but i would be looking at signing David Goodwillie. What we have at the moment is simply not good enough in that area of the park. January window is going to be critical for us.

Speaking of new players, however, today was the last day of the Finnish league season. That league isn't exactly swimming with money so I'd imagine there are more than a few players available when their contract expires on November 1st.  JJ was recently assistant in the national team, will have knowledge of the league and players and plenty of contacts back home. Could we see a coupla players come in over the next coupla weeks?

20 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Speaking of new players, however, today was the last day of the Finnish league season. That league isn't exactly swimming with money so I'd imagine there are more than a few players available when their contract expires on November 1st.  JJ was recently assistant in the national team, will have knowledge of the league and players and plenty of contacts back home. Could we see a coupla players come in over the next coupla weeks?

Doesnt matter when their contracts expire, you cant sign them until our window opens in January.

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I believe we can sign them on an amateur contract.
Just so happens they'll also get a coupla hundred quid a week for coaching the U-15s once a week ;)

You could sign them on an amateur basis if they wait 30 days from their last game as a professional but you still couldnt play them for your first team so it would be fairly pointless. If you sign players as amateurs outwith the window in the top two divisions they can only play for the Reserves.

18 hours ago, montheton said:

We really need to go and get a striker. Wont be a popular choice with the fans but i would be looking at signing David Goodwillie. What we have at the moment is simply not good enough in that area of the park. January window is going to be critical for us.

We have a perfectly capable striker - he's not fit yet. And then we've got four duds in the first team taking up the rest of our budget. Unless they can be packed off to join Duffy at Dumbarton then there's no room for more forward players. We also should be prioritising our defence as recent results quite clearly show.

Throw in the fact that Goodwillie is a beast and it's a no from me. 

31 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

They ran out of Victory Ale, Champion and Winners Tipple but they've managed to stock up with Grim Reaper and Beast in time for the transfer window.

Pint of Bitter and Twisted for you when Shankland goes in January then?

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Pint of Bitter and Twisted for you when Shankland goes in January then?

Aye but we'll be on Directors Best and Golden Showers all round if he stays.

50 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Shankland will be staying where he is. Most teams at a higher level have a striker better than him so nobody will shell out the cash for him. Maybe Dundee at a push, but if they're stranded, what's the point in going?

Hmmm, wee bit of the green-eyed monster there I think. Shankland has been performing well and consistently all of last season, albeit at a lower level, and so far almost all of this season too.  If that level of performance continues till January I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a bigger club come in for him, it would depend then on whether the price is acceptable and whether the player fancies the move.

He's doing well under a manager who has managed to put together a team that suits him to a tee. He's not always going to have that. We only need to look at his record to know what he's capable of outside of that side.

It'd take a very foolish side to take a chance on him in January. On a free when the contract runs out? Sure, there's a good chance of that, but actually spending money on him? Dundee's desperation led to them wanting him, but it'll take an English lower division team with more money than sense to actually take the plunge.

12 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

He's doing well under a manager who has managed to put together a team that suits him to a tee. He's not always going to have that. We only need to look at his record to know what he's capable of outside of that side.

It'd take a very foolish side to take a chance on him in January. On a free when the contract runs out? Sure, there's a good chance of that, but actually spending money on him? Dundee's desperation led to them wanting him, but it'll take an English lower division team with more money than sense to actually take the plunge.

A bit harsh, I think, but you're entitled to your opinion. We'll see what happens.

1 hour ago, Principal Flutie said:

If Dundee or St Mirren are desperate enough they'll go for him.