The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

5 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Jesus wept.  So by your "logic" he was also the primary target when we appointed Kenny Shiels and Jim Duffy.

Give it up.

Probably not, but that would be an assumption. One that makes this idea that he's suddenly the "top target" because of work they did together 6 years ago even more laughable

So at least we're now a wee bit more interesting than we were last week... Calm and intelligence don't necessarily guarantee someone's gonnae be a good manager, but they're far preferable to what that last guy had (not to mention the cast of ghouls and dinosaurs we might have got...).

I thought Hopkin would be a 'with a single bound' type of appointment and that he would have made us harder to beat, possibly enough to get us into contention for play-offs. Impossible to say what we'll look like under Johansson, but I think it's a good thing that _some_ of the pressure will be off. If he stabilises things, keeps us reasonably competitive, and we play decent football, no one's gonnae be jumping up and down demanding he get us up (are they...?).

Basic reality is the squad he inherits, for now at least: there's good experience and a lot of technical ability for this level -- a lot. But we're definitely lacking a bit of pace/athleticism, especially middle to front. I don't mean the 'we can't play Millar-McAlister-Tidser together' crap... we sure can, that's what a central three is all about; but the wide midfield/attacking roles in that set-up are a worry. You'd ideally want three guys who can make an impact there (two to start, one to come on), working as midfielders when we're out of possession, but getting at people and supporting Johnstone when we're on the ball. As far as I can see, we've only got one - McLean. McHugh won't do out there, Tiffoney's desperate back-up, haven't seen Bell play. Puts a lot of pressure on the full-backs to get forward and change it; will be interesting to see how Johansson wants those two to play.

Anyway, what a weird feckin week... shame we don't have a game. Fa'kirk playing by any chance...?

Falkirk fans seem more interested than getting one over the Ton fans than actually combing through that appointment.

Is McKinnon the guy to turn that club around? It's not as if they stole someone like Jack Ross from yourselves.

It has made the most intriguing league in the UK all the more intriguing.

Who knows how this will pan out for both clubs.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Falkirk fans seem more interested than getting one over the Ton fans than actually combing through that appointment.

Is McKinnon the guy to turn that club around? It's not as if they stole someone like Jack Ross from yourselves.

^^^ That.

It might well be that when the delight at binning Hartley and the schadenfreude of stealing McKinnon from us has faded they'll wake up on a cold and miserable winter's morning and realise that he's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

It's been an absolute disaster of a 24 hours for all the rubber-neckers tbh. Just when they began to assume that McGhee or some other dinosaur was inevitably lumbering in the door, The Famous deliver a replacement who quite possibly be better at his job than King Snake ever was. What a terrible, wee shame that is for them. 

Personally i hope JJ does a job for you guys. A new coach getting his break in the game.

I’ve said a few times that I’ve never had any issues with the Morton support or the club for that matter. I would guess many other supporters will be the same.

Personally i hope JJ does a job for you guys. A new coach getting his break in the game.

I’ve said a few times that I’ve never had any issues with the Morton support or the club for that matter. I would guess many other supporters will be the same.

Wrong.

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

Well, no.

We do know that Morton identified JJ as their "primary target" "Through our previous working relationship". That previous relationship didnt happen in the last 3 months.

Therefore, either JJ wasnt interested in May or he wasnt actually the primary target, he was somewhere down the list after McKinnon.

Its not speculation its simple logic.

The actual wording is

Through our previous working relationship with Skelmorlie-based Johansson, we saw potential as a first-team manager and identified him as our primary target to fill the role.

This is totally different from the way you've conveniently pasted the wording together. 

FYI potential refers to the future. 

2 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

You're entitled to your opinion. I will personally take great delight when you are finally sent packing to the seaside leagues at the end of this season though; Wake willing as a result of an absolute shoeing by The Famous in the third last game of the season that also results in King Snake getting the sack and being consigned to doing Dundee taxi runs for the rest of his failed existence. 

Edited by vikingTON

The actual wording is
Through our previous working relationship with Skelmorlie-based Johansson, we saw potential as a first-team manager and identified him as our primary target to fill the role.
This is totally different from the way you've conveniently pasted the wording together. 
FYI potential refers to the future. 
I know what the actual wording was, I quoted it yesterday.

Doesn't really matter how you paste it together the meaning is the same.

On 08/09/2018 at 10:09, Mr X said:

I know what the actual wording was, I quoted it yesterday.

Doesn't really matter how you paste it together the meaning is the same.

It isn't tho'.

Repeating it is doesn't make it anymore true.

Maybe in the summer, with a big overhaul needed, we wanted a manager who could identify players to do a job in this division due to previous knowledge of players he'd worked with and the league in general.

The situation from then to now has changed dramatically so some of the qualities we look for have differed.

We have a full squad so the danger of an untested manager signing Falkirk style dross is no longer an issue and we've got some experience in the team who can soften the mistakes an inexperienced manager can make while that would have been a huge gamble in June.

Context is not a myth