The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

If we get Hopkin, then ultimately that will be a good outcome. 

And possibly we will get some kind of compensation for McKinnon and so can pay him a decent wage. 

However, agree about this being short term. But I'm sure, if Hopkin signs till the end of the season, he will see out the season. 

Ultimately if he get us anywhere close to getting promotion then likely he will definitely be off to bigger things.  Although does seem strange that he didn't take on any job over the summer. You wonder what he's waiting for. Appreciate just jumping into any managerial merry go round down south is probably a poor strategy (see McInnes at Bristol, Levein at Leicester, Lennon at Bolton, a load of guys at Middlesborough). 

Edited by Piehutt

18 minutes ago, DeeBairn said:

Hopkin win the league then walked the next day. Keep kidding yourself. 

So he won promotion then left at the end of the season. Surely that proves the point that he stayed and finished the job before moving on and no one was left hanging.

If Hopkin won the league with Morton then left I'm sure no one would be unhappy with his contribution.

For all any of us know Hopkin may have just decided to take a break from football for a while. If he'd wanted to continue that maybe he would've approached Falkirk about their job, but if he's ready to come back into the game we'd do well if we could get him.

If Hopkin got us promoted and moved on at the end of the season no one would have an issue with that. For instance, it happened with Ross at St  Mirren (albeit they replaced him with a disaster).

If rumours are true then it would seem he's ready to get back in to football with Morton. Hope so anyway.. 

If Hopkin is offered the gig which a few people on the Morton forum are saying has happened and accepts it then I think we come out of this situation looking pretty good, at the end of the day Hopkin was our number 1 target. We have a good squad in place and a team/formation that more or less picks itself, he's already proven that he's a decent manager so should be able to slip in and take over no bother. I'd be surprised if he knocked it back, he's doing hee haw else the now anyway and a 1 year rolling contract might suit both parties.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

If Hopkin got us promoted and moved on at the end of the season no one would have an issue with that. For instance, it happened with Ross at St  Mirren (albeit they replaced him with a disaster).

What if he did so after finishing 4th and losing in the play-offs at end of what is officially three year project to win promotion to the top flight? What if a job in England became vacant in March or October 2019 in the middle of the league campaign and he leaves the club in the lurch to take it up? The merits of the choice can't be measured by simply taking the best case scenario and saying 'we'd be fine with him leaving then'; the above situations are more likely than Hopkin or indeed any other manager winning promotion with this season's squad.

The club has a declared medium term project to deliver and after the manner of King Snake's departure, having a manager who can be fully trusted to commit to that plan must be a key point in the selection criteria. Hopkin couldn't even stick with a club he got promoted with to pursue his own ambitions elsewhere and so does not fit that requirement. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

What if he did so after finishing 4th and losing in the play-offs at end of what is officially three year project to win promotion to the top flight? What if a job in England became vacant in March or October 2019 in the middle of the league campaign and he leaves the club in the lurch to take it up? The merits of the choice can't be measured by simply taking the best case scenario and saying 'we'd be fine with him leaving then'; the above situations are more likely than Hopkin or indeed any other manager winning promotion with this season's squad.

The club has a declared medium term project to deliver and after the manner of King Snake's departure, having a manager who can be fully trusted to commit to that plan must be a key point in the selection criteria. Hopkin couldn't even stick with a club he got promoted with to pursue his own ambitions elsewhere and so does not fit that requirement. 

vt obviously crapping it here in case a man he hates gets the job....... 

Still waiting for your evidence that Hopkin left Livi in order to take the Bradford job. In your own time, and as ever be very specific.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Do you know that for sure or are you making an assumption based on some rumours flying about the Morton forum? The fact that David Martindale has stayed for another 2 managers makes me think there could be something in the rumours about his relationship with Hopkin. 

1 hour ago, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

Do you know that for sure or are you making an assumption based on some rumours flying about the Morton forum? The fact that David Martindale has stayed for another 2 managers makes me think there could be something in the rumours about his relationship with Hopkin. 

It's always amusing when someone complains about statements based on (entirely logical) assumptions; only to then make a counter argument based entirely on... err... their own and entirely unfounded set of rumours and hearsay. Make your mind up.

I'm entirely comfortable with inferring from the facts that Hopkin left Livingston in the manner that he did at the same time as several jobs opened up down south that his personal ambition was at the top of the list of reasons for doing so. It's an entirely logical conclusion that doesn't need to wait for their memoirs to state. The amount of wagon-circling around that particular episode in recent days has been laughable.

It's by no means an unusual or abhorrent trait for a manager to have personal ambition but the degree and manner in which that ambition is shown needs to match the current needs of the club. Otherwise we'll end up in a similar boat to when King Snake upped sticks for the sake of his own serpentine career. Hopkin's conduct does not pass that test, which is why there has been a sudden rush of people trying to rewrite his history to do so. 

Jim Goodwin ( as much as he was a dickhead as a player) showed what integrity is all about by staying with Alloa and rejecting St.Mirren.

It was quite refreshing in these times. 

Dissapointed with Jack Ross, Hopkins and McKinnon in that particular order.

Edited by Acastus

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

's always amusing when someone complains about statements based on (entirely logical) assumptions; only to then make a counter argument based entirely on... err... their own and entirely unfounded set of rumours and hearsay. Make your mind up.

I'm entirely comfortable with inferring from the facts that Hopkin left Livingston in the manner that he did at the same time as several jobs opened up down south that his personal ambition was at the top of the list of reasons for doing so. It's an entirely logical conclusion that doesn't need to wait for their memoirs to state. The amount of wagon-circling around that particular episode in recent days has been laughable.

So.......   Despite your practice of constantly asking people to provide factual evidence, hard evidence, to back up what may be eminently logical assumptions, it's ok for you to make as many such assumptions as you wish. Because, well, you're vt.

In other words, you're tapdancing here and know nothing about the background to Hopkin leaving Livi. You're just making assumptions.

Thanks for clearing that up. And for squirming as you did do.

14 minutes ago, Acastus said:

Jim Goodwin ( as much as he was a dickhead as a player) showed what integrity is all about by staying with Alloa and rejecting St.Mirren.

Of course "integrity" is only supposed to go one way and the club feels able to empty their manager after a few defeats at will. 

37 minutes ago, Acastus said:

How could Goodwin reject St Mirren if he wasn't offered the job??

Clear difference between withdrawing from the process and knocking back an offer!

43 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's always amusing when someone complains about statements based on (entirely logical) assumptions; only to then make a counter argument based entirely on... err... their own and entirely unfounded set of rumours and hearsay. Make your mind up.

That wasn't a complaint, it was a question. My assumption was also based on entirely logical assumptions. Well, as logical as your unfounded set of rumours and hearsay. Glad you wanted to make a point instead of answer a question though.

I've no major feelings about Hopkin being appointed or not. I thought before McKinnon's appointment he'd probably be ok and I still feel the same. However, in the current situation I think he's probably as good as we're going to get. 

1. Nobody but Hopkin knows exactly why he left Livingston

2. I think I'd have left Livingston in his situation

3. He won back-to-back promotions with moderate squads

4. All indicators suggest he's a better manager than Rat Boy

5. If he's successful at Morton, bigger clubs will want him; true of any manager (if he isn't, he'll get as long as Duffy, as long as there are no relegation disasters)

6. He's a Morton man (and don't tell me it doesn't matter)

Get him in, pronto

1 hour ago, Mayor Wilkins III said:

VT actually getting this much mileage out of this tired "look how big a dickhead I am" schtick. Dearie me.

The adults are talking at the moment so you can go back to playing with your wrestling dolls.

1 hour ago, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

That wasn't a complaint, it was a question. My assumption was also based on entirely logical assumptions. Well, as logical as your unfounded set of rumours and hearsay. Glad you wanted to make a point instead of answer a question though.

I've no major feelings about Hopkin being appointed or not. I thought before McKinnon's appointment he'd probably be ok and I still feel the same. However, in the current situation I think he's probably as good as we're going to get. 

It's not an entirely logical assumption at all to suggest that because Martindale is still at Livingston that Hopkin's decision to leave was down to him: Martindale was at the club all last season and Hopkin said and did nothing. 

The only reason why this bullshit theory is being peddled now is that a section of the Morton fanbase want to be furious about King Snake's antics but don't want to accept that their preferred candidate has similar traits that led us to this position. So they begin trying to revise the baby snake move of 'ambitious manager walks out on club to land a bigger job elsewhere' into a principled stance that didn't occur to him until after already spending two and a half years at a club devoid of any moral character. 

Edited by vikingTON