The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

If we've tapped him up, and it's a big if, then this doesn't sit too well with me. If McKinnon was at the stadium early in the week for something else though then it's entirely plausible that he could have intimated his interest then and subsequently considered what he would do if that offer was to be made. If he'd already decided that he would move then, again, it's entirely plausible that the deal could be done within 6 hours of our approach to Morton.

Don't suppose the real circumstances will ever be known though.

34 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
35 minutes ago, Colkitto said:
Do you really want someone like McKinnon at your club? Seriously? 

You did.

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
35 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You did.

Honestly if McKinnon did this to another club I wouldn't want him anywhere near Morton. I dont believe the Falkirk board come out if this too well either. But he's your problem now.

It was a statement of fact. Unlucky. 
Oh dear.... The usual diatribes and grandiose spiels reduced to calling me thick and then claiming it as fact... You need some more time to process m8. You aren't ready to slither back on here yet. Go and find LargsTON. Hold him close.

You don't do well with Falkirk on here though. Suppose everyone has their bogey teams though.

If you beat us in October maybe try and kick on from there. Until then, unlucky. Thanks for playing though.
Honestly if McKinnon did this to another club I wouldn't want him anywhere near Morton. I dont believe the Falkirk board come out if this too well either. But he's your problem now.
Forget our board. Theres no love lost there. The fact that they made what looks like a sensible football decision rather than drafting in some absolute snake oil salesman like McCoist pleases me, but I dont give a f**k how they look or are perceived. They are a burden.

Until actual facts come out (like the perennial VL above irrefutably demonstrating my own dimness) I am unsure what McKinnon has "done to the club". The statement from your chairman, jokes aside, was far too full of emotional reaction to be taken at any sort of value.

If you value loyalty in employment you may feel Ray McKinnon owed you more. But ultimately like you or me would, he has taken a job for more money which he sees as a progression. I need to see more before accepting you have been morally wronged here.

Falkirk fan in peace.

I have to say that I genuinely feel sorry for you for the way that you have lost McKinnon.

We fans sign up to a club for life, the players and managers are only here for the duration but it hurts like hell when a successful one is poached by a “bigger” club (up to you whether you think we are bigger or not). I’ve supported Falkirk since 1969 and seen 23 managers come and go but the 2 leaving that hurt the most was Jim Jefferies going to Hearts and Ian McCall going to Dundee United. In both instances we got the “pledge of loyalty” from them (a football manager’s equivalent of the chairman’s “vote of confidence”, means bugger all) and then they were off! It hurt like hell at the time but life goes on.

To quote Jimmy Greaves, “football is a funny old game” and if you end up getting Davie Hopkin, while his style of play doesn’t really appeal to me, you could still end up having a great season.

All the best for the rest of the season, except of course for the 4 times when you play the Bairns.

Edited by Bairn in Exile

Funny as the situation is because it's Morton and this is just such a Morton thing to happen to them, the person who comes out of this looking worst is undoubtedly Ray McKinnon.

If he wasn't up front with his club as has been heavily implied and was playing the whole 'ohhh, I'll announce the team tomorrow' thing and taking training safely in the knowledge that he's about 2 hours from jumping ship, it's a total cuntish move to be honest.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Funny as the situation is because it's Morton and this is just such a Morton thing to happen to them, the person who comes out of this looking worst is undoubtedly Ray McKinnon.

If he wasn't up front with his club as has been heavily implied and was playing the whole 'ohhh, I'll announce the team tomorrow' thing and taking training safely in the knowledge that he's about 2 hours from jumping ship, it's a total cuntish move to be honest.

This.

He will have done little for his reputation  with this circus.

11 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Falkirk fans have been saying Mark Russell has been their stand out performer along with the goalkeeper. That's about as dire as it gets tbh.

I'd love to see where you got mark Russell being our stand out player from, I've only read on here and discussing with others that he has got pass marks.

Fasan(keeper) on got praise for keeping the score down last week but was also faulted for the first goal, that's not stand out....unless you meant Petra stand out reasons

2 hours ago, ali_91 said:

There’s not a hope that Falkirk finish above Morton this season, so from a footballing perspective and from a career progression perspective it’s a strange decision. Money talks though. 

After 3 league games......wow

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

The thing for Falkirk fans to remember here is that they've gained Ray Mckinnon, an average championship manager.

Pre McKinnon we had a club wrecking manager, so I'll take average.

This.
Yet if he turns us around and gets us playing better it will be rapidly forgotten as this is a results business.

People ironically holding up Ian McCall as a figure of integrity compared to McKinnon just proves that, since he did exactly this to us.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yet if he turns us around and gets us playing better it will be rapidly forgotten as this is a results business.

People ironically holding up Ian McCall as a figure of integrity compared to McKinnon just proves that, since he did exactly this to us.

In a degree worse as well as Jeffries and played with us, staying and not staying.

At least Morton got the I'm gone see ya

16 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Falkirk fan in peace.

I have to say that I genuinely feel sorry for you for the way that you have lost MacKinnon.

We fans sign up to a club for life, the players and managers are only here for the duration but it hurts like hell when a successful one is poached by a “bigger” club (up to you whether you think we are bigger or not). I’ve supported Falkirk since 1969 and seen 23 managers come and go but the 2 leaving that hurt the most was Jim Jefferies going to Hearts and Ian McCall going to Dundee United. In both instances we got the “pledge of loyalty” from them (a football manager’s equivalent of the chairman’s “vote of confidence”, means bugger all) and then they were off! It hurt like hell at the time but life goes on.

To quote Jimmy Greaves, “football is a funny old game” and if you end up getting Davie Hopkin, while his style of play doesn’t really appeal to me, you could still end up having a great season.

All the best for the rest of the season, except of course for the 4 times when you play the Bairns.

A sensible and decent Falkirk fan.  I make that 2.  Shagger is a good c**t too.

There’s not a hope that Falkirk finish above Morton this season, so from a footballing perspective and from a career progression perspective it’s a strange decision. Money talks though. 

Looking at Falkirk’s squad, there’s a real danger they will be flirting with relegation. Could see him being gone by the end of the season. 

Wasn't enough swear words in the statement but apart from that I'm fine with it.

Laxatives in the Falkirk directors teas in October should about call us even.

Sure its a bit of an inconvenience at this stage of the season but at the end of the day the thing for Morton fans to remember here is that we've lost Ray Mckinnon, an average championship manager.

The thing for Falkirk fans to remember here is that they've gained Ray Mckinnon, an average championship manager.

You gave up your youth system to sign a group of league one players so we will still finish above you.

You've probably sold your Microwave to sign Mckinnon.

That's because you're an extremely dim individual. HTH.

I hope he gets hounded out of Greenock when we play them next month.

This.

McKinnon without Tidser in the team is like a bacon roll with no bacon.

Keep them coming. I’d hate to see what it’d be like if we took a ‘good’ manager from you.