The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Great game today :-) Thank you all for coming to Somerset today. Sorry the result was not in your favour. Was a good first game for my 3 year old son today, who asked as we were leaving.... 'Can we go see another Morton game?' Always a good wee crowd with Morton and today, the score aside, was hopefully enjoyable from both ends. Good luck in the coming season. :-) 

Edited by Roxanne's man

Wishing the young lads who frothed over the fence at the first goal all the best. Such insightful bants too. Where is our famous orange walk? I’ve often wondered. Why was there no hello hello or bouncy bouncy renditions today?

5 hours ago, aldo said:

Wishing the young lads who frothed over the fence at the first goal all the best. Such insightful bants too. Where is our famous orange walk? I’ve often wondered. Why was there no hello hello or bouncy bouncy renditions today?

Talking of which, the rendition of “Ayrshire’s black and white” sounded awfully familiar...

14 hours ago, Buckfast said:

Douglas Rae, Ray McKinnon,Scotts, Browns, William Lithgows, Fergusons, Head the Boat Builder, virginton, your team took one hell of a beating.

What’s the fuss about?  We plan to win every game. Just because our planning is less advanced than Forfar’s and Ayr Utd’s and we have some pretty crap and crocked players doesn’t mean we won’t be able to do that in the seaside leagues. Talking the talk is cheaper than breaking the sustainability budget.

On 12/07/2018 at 01:14, JessieField said:

Apparently, Morton  have tried to sign some of the young Thai players recently rescued, but they've all said they would rather go back into the caves.

The fact you used that without even once hinting at a "they can't dive" joke, is disappointing all round

...anyway, onto the fun part. WTF? Morton, at present you are my dark horses to sneak into the playoffs. McKinnon knows the league and has recruited well, yet that's quite the collapse there.

3 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The fact you used that without even once hinting at a "they can't dive" joke, is disappointing all round

...anyway, onto the fun part. WTF? Morton, at present you are my dark horses to sneak into the playoffs. McKinnon knows the league and has recruited well, yet that's quite the collapse there.

The way I saw it is we've spent pre-season seemingly preparing for playing a back four, then yesterday McKinnon's decided to treat it as a chance to experiment with a back three and it was a bit of a disaster with both the defence and midfield being a disjointed mess with no understanding of their shape, while Ayr's midfield were excellent.

Not sure if that's because we don't have a right back signed yet and he didn't want to play Kilday out of position or if he just genuinely thought it would work, but either way I'm not too concerned about it saying much about how we'll do in the league. It did highlight our worrying lack of depth when we started making subs and only got worse while it confirmed fears about Ryan Scully being as bad as we were warned, but I'm confident that when we're playing a system that the team have actually spent a decent amount of time working on we'll not be anywhere near that bad every week.

We've still got a first choice right back to sign, more midfield depth to come, room to add more in attack whether that's through Quitongo & Tiffoney signing or taking their offers off the table, and Gaston & Johnstone will both be starters and were injured, so there's no need to worry about it. I'm annoyed with using a competitive game to experiment but equally the fact we did and the squad being a bit away from completion means there's no need for concern.

Gaston better not end up injured long term at any point though.

19 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Wouldnt read too much into it.

13 first team players in the squad yesterday  and a few of them carrying knocks/just back from injury. It was also a new formation we haven't used this pre season so not really surprised at the result.

McKinnons pre match interview suggested he would use it to look at players in different positions and use different formations so you sensed he wasnt that bothered about the result.

We still need a few more quality players in and Ray will know that. He talks a lot about the squad being ready for August so as long as that is the case and we are ready for QOTS, then we will take that.

Not ideal but not the end of the world getting beat yesterday. 

So Duffy got it in the neck for not talking about targets. The new regime talk about planning to win every game and competing in every competition and get lauded for it. The reality is though that the current squad is every bit as much an omnishambles as last year’s and the team set up and tactics are still in embryo. Did someone forget to enter the season start date on the sustainability spreadsheet? Telling also who Ayr’s most effective players were yesterday. 

When will the  born again happy clappers wake up and wipe the wool off their eyes.

So Duffy got it in the neck for not talking about targets. The new regime talk about planning to win every game and competing in every competition and get lauded for it. The reality is though that the current squad is every bit as much an omnishambles as last year’s and the team set up and tactics are still in embryo. Did someone forget to enter the season start date on the sustainability spreadsheet? Telling also who Ayr’s most effective players were yesterday. 
When will the  born again happy clappers wake up and wipe the wool off their eyes.

One game into the season and you seem to be absolutely bricking it already. You can hardly call the squad a shambles, it’s incomplete. If we’re still in the same position in a month’s time I’ll concede that it’s time to start worrying.

4 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

If it's any consolation we got humped by Thistle 5-1 in our first competitive game last season, not sure but I think that worked out alright in the end. ;)

*5-0*

Branch Ton is a fucking weirdo tbh.
I'm happy to see us experiment in the diddy cups. Just so long as the stuff that doesn't work gets thrown in the sea quickly.

In what world is the league cup a “diddy cup” for anyone in Scotland, never mind a championship side...:

Branch Ton is a fucking weirdo tbh.
I'm happy to see us experiment in the diddy cups. Just so long as the stuff that doesn't work gets thrown in the sea quickly.

The same diddy cup that you reached the semi finals of and was branded as an achievement by some of your fans.

The games might come early but they’re no where near meaningless games like pre-season friendlies.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

The same diddy cup that you reached the semi finals of and was branded as an achievement by some of your fans.

The games might come early but they’re no where near meaningless games like pre-season friendlies.

It was an achievement, but I never once pretended it was more important than it was.

Especially now with seasons starting as early as they do, this competition winds up going way down the pecking order. I'd probably be a lot kinder if things kicked off later.