The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Off topic. Anybody got a link to us via Ross County highlights in Scots cup away. Circa 2003. Alex Williams etc. Sitting in pub gut wants to see it but YouTube doesn't seem to have it. Cheers

Well it's Saturday and pre-season starts in earnest today,

Lets get the squad finalised.

Dump Tiff had liked him but a long way to go. Helped when we were short of bodies last year but we need to move on. Best of luck.

Jai lots of potential, but dad was a bit of a mercenary, so don't expect to see him back. Need to recover costs of rehab over last two years, Someone said he does a fair bit of dancing on Saturday nights think any club signing him should look to rap him in cotton wool.

19 hours ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I wouldn't be bothered if we did lose Tiffoney. He doesn't have a great deal of technical ability and his match intelligence matches his general intelligence. Raw pace won't cut it at this level. If he doesn't resign then he'll wash up at a Pollock or a Clyde. Quitongo leaving would leave a rather bad taste given the club have paid his wages during rehab, but we all know that birthday caird pish goes out the window when it comes to transfers. He has a horrific injury record and doesn't have a fantastic goal record, so he would be a massive gamble to any club taking him on.

They're both in very precarious positions at the moment and I'm beginning to think they're going to end up back at Cappielow with their tails between their legs.

Not sure why you are so against people seeking new challenges tbh.

On 02/07/2018 at 20:39, Tonsilitis said:

involved at board level with the club I have loved man and boy!   

Well here’s hoping you weren’t involved as project manager when they installed turnstiles at the Pearly Gates. 

18 hours ago, Branch Ton said:

Well here’s hoping you weren’t involved as project manager when they installed turnstiles at the Pearly Gates. 

I've changed my original reply because, frankly, in view of recent events your post is in extremely poor taste.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Mark Russell playing for Saints at Berwick tonight. Is he a player you think could step up to the Premiership? Saints aren't looking for a player that will make 30 to 40 appearances necessarily but do potentially need cover in that area of the park.

7 hours ago, Radford said:

Mark Russell playing for Saints at Berwick tonight. Is he a player you think could step up to the Premiership? Saints aren't looking for a player that will make 30 to 40 appearances necessarily but do potentially need cover in that area of the park.

Two years ago we were all certain that he would play in the Premiership sooner or later, but a mixture of him bulking up and slowing down and Duffy messing around with his position led to a very patchy 18 months. I think he's a good left back at Championship level, and he has shown the potential to be so much more, but will need to do some serious work to get back to where he was. 

Some Morton fans have been a bit unfair on him in recent times. He has been excellent in his (few) appearances at left back over the the last few months, but Duffy mostly played in in midfield (where he hasn't shown to be at all capable) which has left a negative impression.

If you're looking for an understudy at left back and a bit of a project to get the most out of his potential, then he could be the right signing for a club like St Johnstone. 

Does Russell still have a contract on the table from Morton? A post further up suggests the door is shut on him, which surely invalidates any claim for compensation?

Tonight could just be a mutual thing with Saints short of a left back for the fixture and Russell needing a game.

27 minutes ago, Radford said:

Does Russell still have a contract on the table from Morton? A post further up suggests the door is shut on him, which surely invalidates any claim for compensation?

Tonight could just be a mutual thing with Saints short of a left back for the fixture and Russell needing a game.

Apparently the offer only has to be there for a certain period of time,  which it was.

It surprised me to read it as it means clubs can basically freeze a player out of the game if they're not getting the money they want!

What surprises me even more is that we're still hanging about waiting on Quitongo and Tiffoney. It's past the point where I'd be giving them a take it or leave it. Neither of them are irreplaceable.

Are these guys training anywhere? Have they kept fit? The season starts next week.

Edited by #Gary

Russell is a classic example of why left backs shouldn't be played as wingers just because they're good going forward.

He was one of the best left backs in the division, it was common knowledge that Premiership & English clubs were watching him, then Duffy moved him forwards, he contributed nothing as he wasn't suited to the role, that destroyed his confidence and he's never really recovered, with a proper run of games at left back being rare. In his own words at the end of the season: 

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/16297090.morton-star-takes-time-to-weigh-up-options/

I don’t mind where I play, under Duffy I was getting moved about everywhere. 

I don’t think he knew what my best position was.

I spoke with Ray and he says he’ll look into that more during pre-season if I was to sign to see what my best position was, so obviously he’s not fully made his mind up on me either.

I don’t really have a preferred position, I’d quite like a run of games in one position rather than being moved about each week, one week being left-back, one week being left-mid or centre-mid.

While he panders to the just happy to be playing talk, it's clear how it affected his confidence. Duffy playing him in central midfield was truly outstanding trolling.

We are still due compensation but any hope if it being six figures has surely gone with the way he was in and out of the team. It's a bit late to pull a Falkirk and plant nonsense stories about him being watched by Barcelona to dupe some idiots into paying us £7M.

39 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He played for us as a trialist v Airdrie and didn't really do much of note, don't know if we will offer him anything as we are well enough covered at left back, it's a right back we should be looking to sign.

Of course he done nothing of note for the mighty Falkirk FC. 

Alright lads, hope you're all well and you're all pumped for the season ahead.

I recorded a podcast with Scott McLaughlin, a popular and iconic figure at Cappielow, I'm sure you'll agree, and I think you'd be keen to hear it.

CLICK

This is all great fun but the stuff you'll be most keen on kicks in around 33 minutes.

Good luck and God bless.