The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Yeah, why? Gives us a player for 6 months and maybe the option to extend if we want & if it suits the parent club, don't see what's automatically shit there.

And he sounds like a very good player as well, so what's not to like? I'd rather have a good short-term addition than I addition at all.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Cracking player! Got a big future for us. Excellent in both boxes and although prone to an error from time to time he has shown he is good enough for the top flight. 22 appearances last season and he looked not a joy out of place. 

Sounds like another really good signing from McKinnon.

8 signings so far and all have been really well received apart from possibly Scully, but even then we have Gaston!

Proof will of course be in the pudding but Ray is going about his business very well at the moment.

1 hour ago, madton said:

Sounds like another really good signing from McKinnon.

8 signings so far and all have been really well received apart from possibly Scully, but even then we have Gaston!

Proof will of course be in the pudding but Ray is going about his business very well at the moment.

I think Scully was our PotY two seasons running (the competition wasn't the strongest for him). 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

I think Scully was our PotY two seasons running (the competition wasn't the strongest for him). 

Aye seems you boys didn't mind him but Thistle fans thought he was rubbish.

We had him at Clyde for a wee loan spell and he's a proper backs to the wall centre half. Superb in the air, which is always the worry for younger centre halves. He'll be as good as anyone in the league in that area. Would've been good in a nice tight Jim Duffy back four.

The problems came when he was under very little pressure, he twice cost us goals by under-hitting simple back passes, that in the space of just a couple of weeks. I'm not sure it was concentration, I just think his footwork isn't particularly smart at times.

Not far away now from our first game of the season at Ayr next Sat. How we thinking we will line up?

Could see it being something like this;

Scully.

Kilday Waddell  Buchanan Iredale

Millar

Tidser     McAlister

Telfer                                            MacLean

McHugh.

Bench- Gaston,  Strapp, Langan, Oliver, Armour,

Went with that shape as that is how we lined up against Motherwell the other day.

Gaston still carrying an injury so would expect Scully to be in goal. Kilday will prob start right back unless we sign a right back before then and the rest of the team kind of picks itself at the moment apart from maybe McHugh or Oliver.

I take it trialists still can't play?

Pretty strong starting 11 at this stage but the bench looks quite weak with Johnstone and Thomson out. Wonder if we will see Jai or Tiff by then. 

Edited by madton

1 hour ago, madton said:

Not far away now from our first game of the season at Ayr next Sat. How we thinking we will line up?

Scully.

Millar

Tidser     McAlister

McHugh.

Went with that shape as that is how we lined up against Motherwell the other day.

Gaston still carrying an injury so would expect Scully to be in goal. Kilday will prob start right back unless we sign a right back before then and the rest of the team kind of picks itself at the moment apart from maybe McHugh or Oliver.

Pretty strong starting 11 at this stage but the bench looks quite weak with Johnstone and Thomson out. Wonder if we will see Jai or Tiff by then. 

Don't think McHugh will be fit until the start of the league campaign. Hopefully we'll hear news about Jai by the end of this week, and either way, we could have him or someone new in up top. Hoping we sign a right back and another winger before the first game in Ayr. 

15 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Don't think McHugh will be fit until the start of the league campaign. Hopefully we'll hear news about Jai by the end of this week, and either way, we could have him or someone new in up top. Hoping we sign a right back and another winger before the first game in Ayr. 

McHugh started against Motherwell the other day.

12 minutes ago, madton said:

McHugh started against Motherwell the other day.

Ah, I thought I'd read McKinnon said he wouldn't be fit for the start of the season due to an op. Good we'll have a striker available to play then. Hopefully he'll do better this season. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Ah, I thought I'd read McKinnon said he wouldn't be fit for the start of the season due to an op. Good we'll have a striker available to play then. Hopefully he'll do better this season. 

He got 45 mins and he looked ok so fingers crossed he is getting there. Oliver got the second half.

36 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Morton could be worth a tenner bet this season. We have told four players to find new clubs. Gary Mackenzie  ,  Adam Eckerslay were outstanding for us last season . McShane not bad also. 

Eckersley is a left back yeah? We have 2 already in Iredale and young Strapp.

McKenzie will be a good signing for any Championship club. We have 3 centre halves though and i don't think Ray is looking for a 4th. Remember him scoring a few against us.

McShane- Meh, plus we have plenty of centre mids!

As for your tenner on Morton, that's the most sensible thing you have said on this board DZ!

3 hours ago, madton said:

Eckersley is a left back yeah? We have 2 already in Iredale and young Strapp.

McKenzie will be a good signing for any Championship club. We have 3 centre halves though and i don't think Ray is looking for a 4th. Remember him scoring a few against us.

McShane- Meh, plus we have plenty of centre mids!

As for your tenner on Morton, that's the most sensible thing you have said on this board DZ!

Us being in the same league is a good thing, Thistle also hope it happens. 

10 hours ago, madton said:

Scully.

Millar

Tidser     McAlister

McHugh.

McHugh as lone striker should fill Morton fans with a deep, deep dread imo. 

We’ll have big Denny fit for the start of the season hopefully so we’ll only have McHugh for friendlies and cup games. Hopefully Quitongo signs up sooner rather than later as well.

11 hours ago, DeeBairn said:

10 hours ago, SuperTon said:

We’ll have big Denny fit for the start of the season hopefully so we’ll only have McHugh for friendlies and cup games. Hopefully Quitongo signs up sooner rather than later as well.

Plus he might go with Oliver instead....