The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

20 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Hi guys, some cryptic posts on here and a wee article in The Sun have suggested that Ross Forbes is on his way back to the Rock. Know that he spent most of the second half of last season injured and I just wondered what it was that kept him out?

Severely bruised knee apparently. Didn’t look fit for the first half of the season though. If he gets back to fitness he’ll stroll that league. I think he could’ve signed for a team in the Championship. 

I was disappointed to see Harkins leave, but getting Millar back more than compensates for that.  I hope we keep Murdoch because his pace and energy will be essential alongside Millar and Tidser.  McKinnnon doesn't seem to be hanging around with getting the squad refreshed - probably going to be a lot of signing news in the next ten days or so.  In fact there had better be as we don't currently have enough signed players to make up a full team.

Forbes will do well at Dumbarton, as long a he can stay fit.  The season before last he was on fire, goals and assists every week.  Surprised Tam O'Ware didn't have it written into his Partick contract that they had to sign Forbes as well, to supply the ammo at set pieces.  For that one season, they were a terrific double act.

3 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Genuinely sad to see him go, like most Saints fans. An absolutely imperious midfielder when fit but probably dropping down a league with age/injuries makes sense.aye And he'll stroll the league.

I seem to remember a Morton thread years ago when he scored twice in one game, is this true??

Sent from my Bluboo Maya Max using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Remember that game well. 

Was against Gretna in 2006. Beat them 2-1 down there. We were 5 or 6/1 that game. A few of us hammered that price!

30 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Gaston re-signs.

Can't see the rumoured Bell signing happening then. Do hope we sign some decent competition though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Unless he comes in as back up/goalkeeping coach? No idea if Wylie is offski now as well. 

4 hours ago, madton said:

Remember that game well. 

Was against Gretna in 2006. Beat them 2-1 down there. We were 5 or 6/1 that game. A few of us hammered that price!

I had a few quid on that game.  When I was walking down the High St on the Monday to collect my winnings, I saw Rowan Alexander & Derek Collins (at that time the management team at Gretna) sitting in a cafe so I popped in to say hello and wave my betting slip under their noses. Rowan saw the funny side but Derek did not look happy.

7 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I had a few quid on that game.  When I was walking down the High St on the Monday to collect my winnings, I saw Rowan Alexander & Derek Collins (at that time the management team at Gretna) sitting in a cafe so I popped in to say hello and wave my betting slip under their noses. Rowan saw the funny side but Derek did not look happy.

Rowan obviously had the same bet on!!

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Aye, because Ray pulled double duty as first team manager and social media person.

I doubt the social media person just decided to rattle up a 'Volvo fur sale' post up on twitter. The manager has clearly decided he doesn't want him and the social media person will have been told to put the post up.

I doubt the social media person just decided to rattle up a 'Volvo fur sale' post up on twitter. The manager has clearly decided he doesn't want him and the social media person will have been told to put the post up.
There was even more to it than that.

Bell himself asked to leave (to go back to Killie). United said yes, but not for free as you are under contract. They tried to find a buyer, hardly advertised against his will.

Didn't work out so they reluctantly freed him.

Doubt he will hold much grudge against McKinnon himself for those events.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

There was even more to it than that.

Bell himself asked to leave (to go back to Killie). United said yes, but not for free as you are under contract. They tried to find a buyer, hardly advertised against his will.

Didn't work out so they reluctantly freed him.

Doubt he will hold much grudge against McKinnon himself for those events.

Cammy Bell has criticised Dundee United for putting him up for sale via social media a day before the goalkeeper's move to Kilmarnock.

United said they were "open to offers" last week but a deal was then agreed to cut short the 30-year-old's contract.

"It just got a little bit messy and I wasn't best pleased," said Bell. "I was disappointed that it ended like that."

He does go onto say that he's stil friends with the manager though and clearly hasn't held the whole debacle against him, so fair enough.

Edited by Kyle

Cammy Bell has criticised Dundee United for putting him up for sale via social media a day before the goalkeeper's move to Kilmarnock.

United said they were "open to offers" last week but a deal was then agreed to cut short the 30-year-old's contract.

"It just got a little bit messy and I wasn't best pleased," said Bell. "I was disappointed that it ended like that."

He does go onto say that he's stil friends with the manager though and clearly hasn't held the whole debacle against him, so fair enough.

I know he criticised United because it got messy. It got messy because he wanted away for free and they initially said no and because he wanted away, they advertised his availability.

But as you said, to the initial point, he doesn't hold it against McKinnon because the majority of those events were probably little to do with him but likely the chief executive, chairman or whatever.

6 hours ago, BrianWake said:

Now that Gaston has resigned then I'd rather we had a £100 a week jobber as second choice and spent the money on  ensuring depth elsewhere in the squad.

Maybe you should also tell McKinnon not to appoint a competent assistant and go for a £50 a week ringer like coach Deano.

On 07/06/2018 at 09:42, madton said:

Remember that game well. 

Did he not also score twice in a cup game against Cove?