The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

14 hours ago, virginton said:

If the club is serious about mounting a promotion challenge then we shouldn't view that as a big blow at all. Gaston is certainly a solid enough keeper at this level but does he really excel at his  job? I didn't see too many signs of that last season in another hit and miss campaign tbh. If McKinnon has his eye on a quality goalkeeper elsewhere then we will have to be absolutely ruthless about this: there'll only be room for one first-choice goalkeeper and some ringer as back-up. 

Completely agree that we should only go with one 1st choice keeper with an average joe backup but for me I'm more than happy for Gats to keep that position. His one weakness has always been cross balls but i think he improved on that last season and i doubt we would get a better shot stopper than him. Pulled off some brilliants saves last season as he always does( kept us in both games up at Dunfermline with a couple of outstanding saves)  He has made the odd mistake, but doubt we will find a keeper at this level who hasn't.

If McKinnon has a relationship with another keeper of similar standards then yeah he might well look at bringing him in but for me, Gats is our number 1 and has earned it with over 200 appearances,  so give it to him and allow McKinnon to focus on building the rest of the squad.

No position should be immune to a possible upgrade. The changing of manager can make it easier to make changes in positions where the previous manager was unwilling to.

It is entirely right that Gaston's position should be getting considered. If there is better out there, then we should look at it.

One of Livingston's smartest decisions last year was the signing of Neil Alexander. Quite a few of our fans suggested that was the type of keeper we should have went for.

If there is an experienced top level keeper available, we have to look at it.

Let's not blindly forget the several periods of lost form/confidence Gaston has had over the past few years either. A great shot stopper with other flaws who has served us well. If there's better available, it should be thanks and good luck.

At least, it seems, our new manager isn't afraid of such decisions.

Would be quite happy for an  experienced keeper to replace Gaston, decent shot stopper from time to time and won us some big points over the years but the cons heavily outnumber the pros IMO, he's not commanding enough for me, shy's away from crosses and distrubution with his feet is extremely poor. If we end up keeing him then fair doo's, not the end of the world but as was mentioned before his postion should not be immune from change.

Edited by M0rtonfc

Gaston’s distribution used to be decent (think he scored a goal in a bounce match at Airdrie). Lately we’ve seen too many go out the park at random intervals, but he does tend to save things that have no business being saved.

There is no denying he can pull off a worldy save from time to time but I can never seem to have complete confidence in him when there is an under pressure pass back or a hanging cross into the box, maybe that's just me. As I say, if we keep him it's not horrendous, we could do worse but would quite like an older experienced heed between the sticks next season, if that's the case I'm happy to see him leave.

39 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Gaston’s distribution used to be decent (think he scored a goal in a bounce match at Airdrie). Lately we’ve seen too many go out the park at random intervals, but he does tend to save things that have no business being saved.

I think that was more to do with Duffy's insisting on him punting it onto Lamie or Thompson's head on the bye line every time he had the ball.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

That was in 2015 in a different lower division; we're not keeping Jamie McCluskey around at the club for his contribution in the final weeks of that campaign. Over the past few seasons Gaston has been a bang-average goalkeeper at this level who has won the team many points but cost it quite a few as well.

So despite trying to berate the board for a lack of ambition it turns out that you're the one who wants to cling on to mediocre players for the sake of the past and sentimentality, when the club is actually in the business of mounting a promotion challenge now.  Just as well you'll never get on the board, despite being chairman of the CBI and all. 

Except that there's no actual evidence to show that the goalkeeper role is 'the most injury prone position' and we wouldn't actually be binning Gaston for 'a two bob amateur'. We'd be replacing a mediocre championship goalkeeper with a better one and having the same degree of back-up that most clubs have at this level. Which is entirely logical given both the club's resources and the ease by which clubs can secure an emergency goalkeeper if a serious injury occurs. 

The idea that we should or even could keep Gaston at the club as back-up is laughable nonsense. If McKinnon can find a better option then he should be thanked for his services and moved on. 

That's absolutely none of your business champ. Thanks for playing anyway. 

I was not advocating that we don’t look for better than Gaston. What was taking issue with was your original proposal to bin him as second choice option in favour of a ringer. To get anywhere we need quality players and cover in every position. To say we should folliw what everyone if the Championship is doing is just facile nonsense. As to the ease of getting an emergency loan keeper, I think you’ve been paying to much attention to Bobby one goal Barr.

We can assume that you are indeed a workplace virgin then.

You cannot have quality players and cover in every position with the budget at the club's disposal. If McKinnon wants quality in the first team then he will have to sacrifice squad depth to do so - and back-up keeper is a prime candidate for that. 

Another exercise in delusional thinking from the forum's resident fantasist and racist then. 

Our regular first choice keeper (Murdoch) missed the last 18 or so games. We brought in the normally calamitous Robinson and he proved to be very decent (with something like 10 clean sheets from 18 games). Murdoch is out for another 3-4 months and our backup is an 18 yr old. VT has a fair point that it's not crucial to have an experienced/expensive keeper sitting on the bench. Unless you are Raith there always seems to be keepers available on emergency loans etc if needed. 

4 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Our regular first choice keeper (Murdoch) missed the last 18 or so games. We brought in the normally calamitous Robinson and he proved to be very decent (with something like 10 clean sheets from 18 games). Murdoch is out for another 3-4 months and our backup is an 18 yr old. VT has a fair point that it's not crucial to have an experienced/expensive keeper sitting on the bench. Unless you are Raith there always seems to be keepers available on emergency loans etc if needed. 

Apart from the game at Cappielow of course.....

7 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Holy shit he's getting closer to Greenock!

DezcSE_WkAAdE2C.jpg

First the new strip launch at the seaside, and now Portillo looming large on the horizon like a psychedelic grim reaper... Ominous signs for the prospects for Season 18/19 for The Flatulent. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

You cannot have quality players and cover in every position with the budget at the club's disposal. If McKinnon wants quality in the first team then he will have to sacrifice squad depth to do so - and back-up keeper is a prime candidate for that. 

Another exercise in delusional thinking from the forum's resident fantasist and racist then. 

A complete hypocrite ,  given your own shameful record of backing up your racist mate. 

I can understand , to an extent, your exhibition of repetitive behaviour (which is  there for all to see) ... But to keep harking on about ONE alleged incident while you continue to support a serial offender is completely bizarre.  Dr strange indeed.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Why on earth should he sacrifice a back up keeper and yet retain perma-crocks like Kilday, Oliver, Quitongo etc or are you in favour of purging them as well?

We've apparently signed Peter Grant ex Falkirk captain. 

He was never our captain tbf but this is a really big move for Grant and hopefully the change of scenery will do him some good it was really sad to see just how much he had regressed last season.

Before his injury he was as dominant a centre back as you could get at this level and I’d imagine was destined for a move away that summer but since he came back he’s not been close to the same player. His distribution from the back has always been horrific though. You should never ask him to pass the ball out from the back.

But he seems like a throughly nice guy, gives his all and he’s got a cracking smile. And of course he’s a massive upgrade on that fat c**t Gasparotto.

19 minutes ago, Russ said:

He was never our captain tbf but this is a really big move for Grant and hopefully the change of scenery will do him some good it was really sad to see just how much he had regressed last season.

Before his injury he was as dominant a centre back as you could get at this level and I’d imagine was destined for a move away that summer but since he came back he’s not been close to the same player. His distribution from the back has always been horrific though. You should never ask him to pass the ball out from the back.

But he seems like a throughly nice guy, gives his all and he’s got a cracking smile. And of course he’s a massive upgrade on that fat c**t Gasparotto.

I was sure he was the Falkirk captain as well.. I'd be fairly happy if he signed.