The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Solid appointment for you guys I think.

Actually likes to change his formation and make substitutions if it isn't working, which is refreshing.

It certainly will be compared to Duffy; even his greatest fanboys would probably admit that this was a particular weakness. The only game that I recall him changing this season was the derby against Saint Mirren by putting Tiffoney on; our changes were typically uninspiring like for like swaps, that could be made only when the ball was knocked out within a five yard space of the touchline that wasn't either 'attacking' or defensive'. McKinnon has never been afraid to make bold changes during a game - if his Morton side can gain even just five or six points from those changes over the season, that's a crucial edge in the play-off/promotion stakes. 

The manner in which he responded to our Forbes set piece threat last season after losing in the League Cup at Cappielow - Dundee United then quite comfortably  dominated O'Ware and our other set-piece threats in our remaining five meetings that season - also points to a manager with a pro-active approach. 

7 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Don’t be surprised if Charlie Telfer signs before the season starts. Coming home from his spell in Dutch football.

No idea if you've pulled this out of the air or have some info but I'd be ok with that. Always thought he looked a decent player and is pals with Andy Murdoch so would maybe (hopefully) have some impact on getting him signed up again.

46 minutes ago, Janne Lindberg's Laces said:

No idea if you've pulled this out of the air or have some info but I'd be ok with that. Always thought he looked a decent player and is pals with Andy Murdoch so would maybe (hopefully) have some impact on getting him signed up again.

Not pulled out the air, I’ve got two good mates who play in the championship, it’s a real possibility according to one of the lads who knows him well. 

10 hours ago, virginton said:

They should just be put in the Highland League forum now to save admin time. 

A pretty tame comeback   chief !   Although it has to be said even in the Highland league  we would still be able to nurture  Morton's   future  !!  ;) 

Glad we achieved one objective this season anyway by getting right under your skin .  Didn't have to try too hard either.  

Thanks for playing . See you in a couple of seasons again. 8)

8 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

A pretty tame comeback   chief !   Although it has to be said even in the Highland league  we would still be able to nurture  Morton's   future  !!  ;) 

Glad we achieved one objective this season anyway by getting right under your skin .  Didn't have to try too hard either.  

:lol:

9 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You've got under nobody's skin champ. All you've done is embarrass yourselves and you'll continue to do so by plunging straight down to tbe Highland League where you belong. 

Gutted for you. 

1502716626880.jpg.cbaca9977e9c219de764bcdd764e1466.jpg

10 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

I see Doyle is on the move also from yourselves

Doyle and Ross Forbes are the first 2 to be told that they're not getting new deals by Ray McKinnon. Not disappointed to see either go. Forbes had the season of his life in 16/17, but was poor last season, and Doyle was the weak link in the starting 11 last season.

Positive start by the new man.

I always thought the critism of Doyle was unfair. Duffy played without a right sided midfielder, so Doyle was doing the work of two players and whenever play broke down on that side it was always his fault. Maybe if Duffy didn’t insist on playing  two of the most left sided players I’ve ever seen at Morton, in Tidser and Forbes, on the right then Doyle would have been a better player.

5 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I always thought the critism of Doyle was unfair. Duffy played without a right sided midfielder, so Doyle was doing the work of two players and whenever play broke down on that side it was always his fault. Maybe if Duffy didn’t insist on playing  two of the most left sided players I’ve ever seen at Morton, in Tidser and Forbes, on the right then Doyle would have been a better player.

So with McKinnon not favouring 4-4-2 there's no point in keeping him because he needs someone to cover for his weaknesses?

Need to wait on new signings. It's close season no point in talking about formations etc. Enjoy yer summer and see who joins us then talk about strategy etc. Seasons done. Chill and enjoy it

14 minutes ago, Armand 2 said:

Tam O'Ware confirmed as Thistle's first summer signing - what can we expect?

Finger pointing, shocking passing and shite celebrations. 

Nah, joking aside - good centre half for this level, rarely loses a ball in the air and is a massive threat at set pieces. Wish him all the best. 

Both Doyle and Forbes served our club well and I wish both players all the very best.

Doyle is a hard working defender who is an actual decent defender, but not so great going forward.  Very fit and I think played in all our games this season?  That's a great return if so.

Forbes had a great season last season for us and in the main has been a good signing. Wasn't so good this season but that may have been down to having an injury.

Very much seems like a new era for Morton with a new chairman and manager together with seeing old faces move on from our playing squad.    

36 minutes ago, Jag0001 said:

Can he actually defend like tackling or is he just good at headering?

Loses the plot with teammates rather easily, even when he’s culpable. Good defender though and with the right taker, a threat at set pieces.

Theres McKinnon’s first target - finish above Partick Thistle.

O'Ware is a bit on the slow side, his passing is a bit erratic, and he's still learning in some of the more mental aspects of the position. That's about it in terms of weaknesses at this level though. 

He has made the type of move I expected him to make. He's capable of being part of a league winning side, but maybe not quite ready yet for the step up (unless he was playing beside someone who complimented him well enough).