The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

13 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Heard Hopkin will become our new manager next week. 

He's met with our board and talks we're exceedingly positive. Looks set to sign a new deal with us in the coming days after rejecting Carlisle - dream on

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

He's met with our board and talks we're exceedingly positive. Looks set to sign a new deal with us in the coming days after rejecting Carlisle - dream on

I guess that is the key here.

No doubt he has an offer on the table from us as well  and he needs to weigh up what is the more attractive.

Hoping he thinks he has no chance of keeping you up on a small budget and fancies a change to a club he supported, played for, coached and even part owns!

If you say those talks were positive though, maybe that's that then and he will stay where he is.

Just now, madton said:

I guess that is the key here.

No doubt he has an offer on the table from us as well  and he needs to weigh up what is the more attractive.

Hoping he thinks he has no chance of keeping you up on a small budget and fancies a change to a club he supported, played for, coached and even part owns!

If you say those talks were positive though, maybe that's that then and he will stay where he is.

Think too many people got caught up on the contract situation to be honest. Hopkin himself said he'll only ever sign a one year deal in management as too many people get 'large payoffs for failure'. He only wants to talk about a new deal once the season is over - it was the same last year when we won the league. He's fairly well off so doesn't actually need to chase a big wage which plays into our hands a bit. I think he'll want to take a shot at the Premiership with us and then move on down south and try go to the top after next season.

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Think too many people got caught up on the contract situation to be honest. Hopkin himself said he'll only ever sign a one year deal in management as too many people get 'large payoffs for failure'. He only wants to talk about a new deal once the season is over - it was the same last year when we won the league. He's fairly well off so doesn't actually need to chase a big wage which plays into our hands a bit. I think he'll want to take a shot at the Premiership with us and then move on down south and try go to the top after next season.

Yeah I heard the 1 year deal chat but he probably never had a decision to make last Summer so was easy enough to sign on,  he clearly has now.

Yeah doubt money is an issue at all, think it will be more how realistic and achievable the target is. 

Either way, lets hope its sorted soon as the wait isn't helping anyone!

Just now, madton said:

Yeah I heard the 1 year deal chat but he probably never had a decision to make last Summer so was easy enough to sign on,  he clearly has now.

Yeah doubt money is an issue at all, think it will be more how realistic and achievable the target is. 

Either way, lets hope its sorted soon as the wait isn't helping anyone!

Definitely

We're expected to make an announcement today or tomorrow 

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Definitely

We're expected to make an announcement today or tomorrow 

Quite a few comments from Morton fans saying we will also soon announce Hopkin...

Unless he is going to be doing a hybrid role, someone's going to be disappointed.

12 minutes ago, madton said:

Quite a few comments from Morton fans saying we will also soon announce Hopkin...

Unless he is going to be doing a hybrid role, someone's going to be disappointed.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we missed out on Hopkin at all. 

I would only be disappointed if we missed out on promotion, hopefully the board get a move on. Hope is really the thing that kills.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

Doubt any manager will please all Morton fans, but for me him or McIntyre are the best choices( unless someone is kicking about that we don't know about)

Where did you hear that he's got the gig?

1 hour ago, madton said:

Doubt any manager will please all Morton fans, but for me him or McIntyre are the best choices( unless someone is kicking about that we don't know about)

Where did you hear that he's got the gig?

Heard it from a couple of guys whoso source usually knows what’s going on. 

I’m also hearing these rumours about Hoppy to you guys, nothing set in stone though, he’s talking to us on Friday so I suspect either way it will all become a bit clearer then. 

Seems a strange one if he does move on, a very tough looking championship next season and likelyhood is he’s not going to increase his stock with Morton any, obviously the heart strings are being pulled a little bit here. 

Only time will tell, I hope it’s all nonsense and he stays with us but if he doesn’t he will always be considered a legend for the way he’s turned us around.

I don't really expect it to be Hopkin, but I'd be happy to see it. I suppose he might feel he's done about as much as he can do there, but I'd still be very surprised if he doesn't want to have a shot at that league.

Edited by Mayor Wilkins III

10 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Even if we don’t appoint him, I still wanna know who the World Cup winner was that we mentioned on the website. Berti Vogts? :lol: 

Pierre Littbarski?  

Edited by Ted