The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Not happy to see Harkins go. We're would we have ended up this season without him?  Tidser will probably move back in to CM but he's not the same player and mostly gave us under par performances this season

Really need to get Murdoch signed up as I'm starting to worry now....  

That's a blow, but if a player gets an offer from elsewhere and isn't willing to wait on us appointing a manager to see if we match it or make one at all then it can't be helped.

I was happy with making an exception for a youngster like Iredale, but the club can't hamstring the new manager by offering contracts to every out of contract player, particularly a 33 year old, regardless of how good they are.

That's a blow, but if a player gets an offer from elsewhere and isn't willing to wait on us appointing a manager to see if we match it or make one at all then it can't be helped.
I was happy with making an exception for a youngster like Iredale, but the club can't hamstring the new manager by offering contracts to every out of contract player, particularly a 33 year old, regardless of how good they are.

He was told his contract wasnt being renewed

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Looks like Harkins didn't wait around to find out who the new manager would be.  The club were right to offer him a deal given his performances this season - don't see a problem with that.

Queens seem to have offered him a better one, or at least possibly a longer contract. Notice it said an initial 1 year deal on the press release.

As much as I think he was by far our best player this season, this news doesn't really disappoint me tbh. 

That seems a strange thing to say but our midfield as a whole could benefit from more mobility. Tidser is under contract, is every bit as good a player despite a relatively poor overall season by his standards (although I did recall several times citing Tidser coming into the starting 11 as the reason for some particularly good results). Him and Harkins together as a two in centre mid didn't work due to the lack of mobility.  

Having said all that,  I reckon its to free up a space for Chris Millar to come into the squad, who probably isn't the most mobile he's ever been. 

10 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

If that's the case it's disgraceful as it's a decision for the new manager to make, but rumours like this fly around all the time when players leave and I don't see any reason to believe it.

If it does come out that Hawke or whoever has told him to go then the person responsible has serious questions to answer, but the most logical explanation is that he wasn't willing to wait on the new appointment when he had a offer from elsewhere.

If he was categorically told 'you are not getting a new deal' that isn't right, as that should be the responsibility of the new boss.

If he was told 'you are not getting a new deal, right now' then fair play, that is exactly what should have been happening.

And if he wasn't willing/able to wait a few weeks, then thanks but goodbye.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If that's the case it's disgraceful as it's a decision for the new manager to make, but rumours like this fly around all the time when players leave and I don't see any reason to believe it.

If it does come out that Hawke or whoever has told him to go then the person responsible has serious questions to answer, but the most logical explanation is that he wasn't willing to wait on the new appointment when he had a offer from elsewhere.

Haskins is far too immobile to get us up to  the next level.

The job ad makes it clear the manager has to work closely with the CEO whose stated intention is to go wiv yoof.  Maybe that’s why we snapped up Iredale quickly.

2 hours ago, Cowshed118 said:

2 hours ago, #Gary said:

As much as I think he was by far our best player this season, this news doesn't really disappoint me tbh. 

That seems a strange thing to say but our midfield as a whole could benefit from more mobility. Tidser is under contract, is every bit as good a player despite a relatively poor overall season by his standards (although I did recall several times citing Tidser coming into the starting 11 as the reason for some particularly good results). Him and Harkins together as a two in centre mid didn't work due to the lack of mobility.  

Having said all that,  I reckon its to free up a space for Chris Millar to come into the squad, who probably isn't the most mobile he's ever been. 

34 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

If he was categorically told 'you are not getting a new deal' that isn't right, as that should be the responsibility of the new boss.

If he was told 'you are not getting a new deal, right now' then fair play, that is exactly what should have been happening.

And if he wasn't willing/able to wait a few weeks, then thanks but goodbye.

3 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

Haskins is far too immobile to get us up to  the next level.

The job ad makes it clear the manager has to work closely with the CEO whose stated intention is to go wiv yoof.  Maybe that’s why we snapped up Iredale quickly.

Plastic_Straws_Hero.jpg