The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Douglas Rae's abdication and the coronation of his boy as his successor smells a lot like the Dundee United saga all over again.
Morton fans should be wary of anticipating a bright future. Duffy's removal is likely to be stage one of a massive cost-cutting exercise by a new man in charge who doesn't give a flying f*ck about Morton. Protecting his personal financial legacy will be his motivation.

Emptying Duffy is the exact opposite of cost cutting. Keeping frugal Jim for the extra year of his contract was was in both ways the cheaper option.

Rumours are that the appointment of the Son, who to be honest has probably been in control for quite some time now, is likely to be temporary anyway.

We hope so anyway.

https://m.mcbookie.com/en-gb/sports/3/meetings/126456098/events/941216200
Jim McIntyre and Stevie Aitken joint favourites. McBookie are rarely spot on with managers though. Hope we avoid Aitken at all costs. We’ve just punted a negative manager, don’t need another one. 

You'd be as well checking the list of who is going to win Eurovision such is the likelihood of McBookies list being relevant.

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

McIntyre looks the most realistic shout there I'd say. Not hugely exciting, but would do a decent job.

Controversially I'd probably prefer to have Murray than Aitken in your position - if (and it's a massive if) you could get the right guy in alongside him. Reading your threads this season (playing best players out of position, sticking with a non-goalscoring strikeforce and a formation that simply doesn't work) sounds like a carbon copy of watching us since about December.

Yeah McIntyre is my preferred choice too and quite a few others over on the Morton Forum. He might be thinking the DU job will be available soon right enough.

Aitken will be linked because of the Morton connection and the fact that he has been doing a decent job with you boys over the last few seasons. Murray was horrendous at St Mirren so for me he needs to take a job lower down to prove that was a one off. I doubt he we walk back into a full side Championship club.

Will prob see someone appointed who isn't even on that list. 

First off... has there been any mention of Tam Oware going to Hertz ?  

're  the board changes... I'll be very interested to hear Crawford's statement. He's  had over a decade to pipe up with some form of statement of intent. Is he off the leash now... or is it just a load of twaddle to keep the discontent at bay ? 

The Raes have done their bit. Time for new blood.

17 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

It's a good job relative budgets does not automatically equate to placings or there would be no playing. And Dundee Utd would have romped the league, Livi would have been nowhere near 2nd, Falkirk wouldn't have stunk the place out and Brechin would have won a couple of games.

The budget was fine. We retained the majority of a squad that achieved the playoffs a year prior. We enhanced it. Duffy blew it.

Duffy wasn't canned for finishing 7th as such. He was canned for having 2ND place in our own hands a mere 9 weeks ago, sinking us from that position to 7th and writing off a quarter of a million pounds in prize money in the process

You were just next in a long line of boring ill-informed posters who think expectations were met and Duffy was doing a good job. Read the thread. There are plenty of concise posts detailing why Duffy was emptied

I'm fully aware that budgets don't necessarily equate to where Clubs will finish in the league but it's a fair barometer generally speaking. Did Morton just overachieve last season or underachieve this or is the truth somewhere in between?

Since the turn of the Century (probably longer) Morton have jumped between the Championship and League 1 with the exception of a couple of promotion tilts so quite where your expectations are coming from I don't know......especially given the dross Duffy continually served up (your words not mine).

I would read the thread but having to filter out the posts from know it all Posters like yourself that couldn't toilet train a fucking dog let alone a football team seems like too much effort.

Yeah McIntyre is my preferred choice too and quite a few others over on the Morton Forum. He might be thinking the DU job will be available soon right enough.
Aitken will be linked because of the Morton connection and the fact that he has been doing a decent job with you boys over the last few seasons. Murray was horrendous at St Mirren so for me he needs to take a job lower down to prove that was a one off. I doubt he we walk back into a full side Championship club.

Ian Murray > Stevie Aitken IMO

18 minutes ago, madton said:

Who we get will be dependent upon who is willing to take on what’s left of the current unbalanced, underperforming squad on a  a sustainability budget so that  he is able to produce a team capable of playing to his style. We are miles away from being anyone’s dream job. 

What about Jackie McNamara?

Pros: He put together a Thistle team that was one of the best I've watched at this level in recent years.

Cons: Just about everything else he's done in management.

I'm fully aware that budgets don't necessarily equate to where Clubs will finish in the league but it's a fair barometer generally speaking. Did Morton just overachieve last season or underachieve this or is the truth somewhere in between?
Since the turn of the Century (probably longer) Morton have jumped between the Championship and League 1 with the exception of a couple of promotion tilts so quite where your expectations are coming from I don't know......especially given the dross Duffy continually served up (your words not mine).
I would read the thread but having to filter out the posts from know it all Posters like yourself that couldn't toilet train a fucking dog let alone a football team seems like too much effort.

I bow to your superior knowledge of how to toilet train a football team. Bizarre.

Anyway, what 'expectations' are you talking about? Who said anything about expectations?

To be honest, expecting to match last season's 4th with an improved squad is hardly aiming for the fucking sky.

One thing we do expect, more demand, is that our manager doesn't sink us down the league in the space of 9 weeks costing the club a quarter of a million pounds.

Morton achieved a placing as expected last year. We were on course to do the same again. Duffy fucked it and was emptied as a result.

Really not that hard to grasp.

4 minutes ago, cornbeef said:

First off... has there been any mention of Tam Oware going to Hertz ?  

're  the board changes... I'll be very interested to hear Crawford's statement. He's  had over a decade to pipe up with some form of statement of intent. Is he off the leash now... or is it just a load of twaddle to keep the discontent at bay ? 

The Raes have done their bit. Time for new blood.

You have to wonder who is now calling the shots. When the news of Duffy's  departure broke on Friday by Tam McManus on Twitter  he mentioned quite clearly the Easdales  not happy with Duffy.

Whoever gave McManus the information must have quite specifically mentioned the Easdale's rather than the Rae's.  In the end up Duffy walked as McManus said he would. So he seems to have received good information from someone most definitely in the know.  That would indicate the Easdale's now have massive influence at Cappielow already. 

Will they have a say in who succeeds Duffy or actually pick his successor?  If it has got to that stage then the Rae's should move aside and let them get on with it

Wild that anyone has seriously suggested Billy Davies would take the Morton job.

1 person. Throwing in a name that has been linked to every available job at this level and the one above for the past few years. He's like the new Stuart Baxter.

He will probably be linked. Linked by himself. In an attempt to remind those higher up the food chain that he is available. Much like he did with the Hearts job, the St Mirren job and countless others.

He will still get nowhere with it and will miss out on the Rangers job. Again.

Next up, John Hughes to tell John Hughes (and anyone else that will listen) that John Hughes deserves an interview.

7 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

You have to wonder who is now calling the shots. When the news of Duffy's  departure broke on Friday by Tam McManus on Twitter  he mentioned quite clearly the Easdales  not happy with Duffy.

Whoever gave McManus the information must have quite specifically mentioned the Easdale's rather than the Rae's.  In the end up Duffy walked as McManus said he would. So he seems to have received good information from someone most definitely in the know.  That would indicate the Easdale's now have massive influence at Cappielow already. 

Will they have a say in who succeeds Duffy or actually pick his successor?  If it has got to that stage then the Rae's should move aside and let them get on with it

Hopefully all will be revealed soon Col.  Interesting point about McManus tweet - which was rubbished by JD.  Maybe he had no intention of walking right enough, and the decision was made for him. ( by whoever)

30 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Wild that anyone has seriously suggested Billy Davies would take the Morton job.

Just a name mentioned on the board as an option, nothing more than that.

In saying that, he has been out of the game for 4 years now so you would imagine he would be desperate to get back in. Chances of it being at Morton?? Slim to none!

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

https://m.mcbookie.com/en-gb/sports/3/meetings/126456098/events/941216200

Jim McIntyre and Stevie Aitken joint favourites. McBookie are rarely spot on with managers though. Hope we avoid Aitken at all costs. We’ve just punted a negative manager, don’t need another one. 

Lee McCulloch is now evens with McBookie, someone clearly has stuck a fiver on him!