The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

Believe it was Scosha that posted on the forum that we could be picking up winger Calvin Miller on loan from Celtic. I watched the youth cup final highlights one night I was incredibly bored and he looked a bit of a handful at that level, think he would be on a similar loan deal as Nesbitt was

He played against us just before Christmas at Parkhead and played at left back (and got roasted on more than one occasion by David Amoo). Rodgers was in the media following the game comparing him to Ryan Bertrand and it was very clear at that stage that he saw his future at Celtic as a full back so I'd imagine any loan deal would be predicated on him playing in that position.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The reason why we don't have any at the moment is because he only just returned to Celtic; there will be plenty of others in the transfer/loan market. I think he offers good pace (and versatility like many of our other options) but his final ball hasn't been great. Would be okay with him signing again but don't really get the hype about a possible return. 

Stating the obvious there VT.

If we picked up someone similar, I wouldn't mind either. As long as we bring someone like him in, I'll be happy.

The worry i have is that Duffy thinks he can get away with  Forbes and Thomson as our only wide options with Harkins, Tidser and Russell as backups.  

6 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I don't want the guy. No final ball and a glorified sand dancer. We've got better.

Nesbitt is a good player. Much better than you seem to be giving him credit for. 

Went missing at times last season but on form was one of the best wingers in the league. He'll improve too.

1 hour ago, Tri-TON said:

Have a young boy, Kyle Thomas/Thomson on loan. Anyone know much about him at all? At first I did think it was Kevin Thomson..

Nothing about a loan. Is that the American that's training with the squad though?

2 hours ago, virginton said:

We don't tend to be picky about getting the name right: see signing the wrong Marc/Mark McCulloch and a section of fans still using 'Peter Weatherston' well after his testimonial season. 

Other long serving players have included 'Chris Miller', 'Jim McAllister', 'Jim Macallister' and 'Jim McAlistair'.

I look forward to seeing lots of 'Robert Thompson' this season.

Nothing about a loan. Is that the American that's training with the squad though?

Was day dreaming when posting this obviously, meant on trial.

Am I right someone said he was with the Swansea under 23s squad on trial? I'd imagine he must have a reasonable amount of ability to be taken on trial with them.

Mikey Doyle signs on. Happy with that.

Over the piece, he did well last season and hopefully he kicks on again. Final ball could improve but sound defensively.(most of the time)

Another 12 months of his Twitter updates can only be a good thing too.

Defence looks to be sorted now unless Gunning becomes an option.

Quite happy with who we've kept and who we've let go. Duffy's recruitment since becoming gaffer I'd say has been sound for the majority. We've brought in Harkins, Thomson, McHugh and Barr as an emergency cover which overall
I'm pleased with (unless I've missed someone). I'd expect us to bring in another central midfielder and a defender. We will bring in a winger on loan, possibly a goalkeeper too.

Excellent news on Doyle, very happy at that. I think he's a wee bit underrated by some of the support. First half of the season he was excellent albeit he fizzled out in the last 1/4 like a lot of the players.

Good piece of business by the club. I thought we would have lost at least one, if not all out of Murdoch, Tidser and Russell. To get all three signed up is just fantastic, together with the others who were offered deals is just superb.

The new signings are without doubt better than what we had at the club, so again well done Duffy and the club.

Still think we'll go into the loan market again and it will be interesting to see who Duffy brings in as he's in the main been successful.   

Doyle runs about more than any other player I've seen for us before - mostly in a good way.

Glad we'll get another season of him bombing down the wing in the 93rd minute for no apparent reason, plus he's great on Twitter.

Definitely the most positive I've felt about our squad before the end of the transfer window in a long time!

2 hours ago, tonnitus said:

Doyle runs about more than any other player I've seen for us before - mostly in a good way.

Glad we'll get another season of him bombing down the wing in the 93rd minute for no apparent reason, plus he's great on Twitter.

Definitely the most positive I've felt about our squad before the end of the transfer window in a long time!

He's delivered already: 

IMG_0956.thumb.PNG.e2ad3d9f75638554fd820447781ab4be.PNG

8 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

Actually makes a bit of a change not to be panicking over the lack of signings and squabbling about who we've released/kept at this stage of the season.   :lol:

If you're missing that panic/in-fighting, have a glance at the Falkirk thread.