The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

"If we could have scored in the first half".. argh but we never Jim!!

His comments about players missing and struggling- Maybe if you built a decent squad you wouldn't be in this position Jim. Said it on the forum, as soon as we are missing just 1 or 2 key players, we look so average.

I want Jim gone, but thinking about it, he has assembled such a poor squad, I'm not sure a new manager could come in and make a difference, not until Jan at least!

Worrying times ahead.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surely oor Jum wont resign? Didn't he just sign a new contract?

It wont be cheap to get shot of him if so.

He did, a two year deal, and I don't expect him to. He must have thought he'd never get a full-time job again after failing at Brechin and taking Clyde to the bottom of the fourth tier, now he's unexpectedly in one he's going to cling to it for as long as he can. If he holds his hands up and takes responsibility for the mess he's created now, he leaves as a failure and once again counts himself out of managing at this level, when it was only a few months ago he was being linked with the Kilmarnock job. Entirely understandable to cling on as long as possible from his perspective, for all that he surely knows himself that he can't fix this.

As much I'd love him to resign it's not incumbent on him to remove himself from the job. That is entirely the board's responsibility, but as they did with Peter Cormack, John McCormack, Jim McInally and Allan Moore, they will give him far too long and probably condemn us to relegation in the process.

28 minutes ago, madton said:

"If we could have scored in the first half".. argh but we never Jim!!

His comments about players missing and struggling- Maybe if you built a decent squad you wouldn't be in this position Jim. Said it on the forum, as soon as we are missing just 1 or 2 key players, we look so average.

I want Jim gone, but thinking about it, he has assembled such a poor squad, I'm not sure a new manager could come in and make a difference, not until Jan at least!

Worrying times ahead.

While this squad is obviously going to struggle whoever manages it, I don't accept that no one could do better. There are some very obvious steps which won't solve all our problems but will at least give us a chance of being less bad. These include playing players in their real positions where possible - playing Quitongo at centre forward instead of out wide, not playing Forbes or Lindsay on the right, not playing Duffy's crap nephew up front or preferably at all. If injuries allow, pick none of the players Duffy's signed out of desperation who wouldn't have got a game ahead of Tony Wallace or Garry O'Connor three years ago - McDonagh, McAleer, Oyenuga. Certainly don't move Quitongo out wide to accommodate a player as useless as Oyenuga up front.

Actually do some work on defending cross balls in training - all seven of the goals we conceded in the first four games came from crosses. The first against Queen's Park also came from a cross, yet Duffy expressed disappointment that we'd conceded a freekick, allowing them to cross it, rather than the fact that we failed to defend the cross with yet another goal via a free header and no one on the back post for the Nth time this season.

With Rae's track record I don't have much confidence in him appointing the right man, but we have to try. To stick with Duffy is to meekly roll over and accept relegation with a season as bad as three years ago.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

He did, a two year deal, and I don't expect him to. He must have thought he'd never get a full-time job again after failing at Brechin and taking Clyde to the bottom of the fourth tier, now he's unexpectedly in one he's going to cling to it for as long as he can. If he holds his hands up and takes responsibility for the mess he's created now, he leaves as a failure and once again counts himself out of managing at this level, when it was only a few months ago he was being linked with the Kilmarnock job. Entirely understandable to cling on as long as possible from his perspective, for all that he surely knows himself that he can't fix this.

As much I'd love him to resign it's not incumbent on him to remove himself from the job. That is entirely the board's responsibility, but as they did with Peter Cormack, John McCormack, Jim McInally and Allan Moore, they will give him far too long and probably condemn us to relegation in the process.

While this squad is obviously going to struggle whoever manages it, I don't accept that no one could do better. There are some very obvious steps which won't solve all our problems but will at least give us a chance of being less bad. These include playing players in their real positions where possible - playing Quitongo at centre forward instead of out wide, not playing Forbes or Lindsay on the right, not playing Duffy's crap nephew up front or preferably at all. If injuries allow, pick none of the players Duffy's signed out of desperation who wouldn't have got a game ahead of Tony Wallace or Garry O'Connor three years ago - McDonagh, McAleer, Oyenuga. Certainly don't move Quitongo out wide to accommodate a player as useless as Oyenuga up front.

Actually do some work on defending cross balls in training - all seven of the goals we conceded in the first four games came from crosses. The first against Queen's Park also came from a cross, yet Duffy expressed disappointment that we'd conceded a freekick, allowing them to cross it, rather than the fact that we failed to defend the cross with yet another goal via a free header and no one on the back post for the Nth time this season.

With Rae's track record I don't have much confidence in him appointing the right man, but we have to try. To stick with Duffy is to meekly roll over and accept relegation with a season as bad as three years ago.

Maybe the Easdale's would have an influence on the next appointment since they appear to be heavily involved?

Here we go again!! 2 defeats out of 5 in the league, 1 of which was at Easter Rd and it's time to remove the manager. You guys make me laugh. You clearly dislike Jim Duffy for whatever reason. Despite ending just outwith the play off spots last season in an exceptionally difficult league. Despite away wins against 2 top tier opponents so far this season. Despite progressing to the last 8 of e league cup. Despite assisting with the development of some really promising youngsters.
The team are still gelling and getting to know each other.
But you're right, we must get rid of Jim Duffy.....and the next incumbent.....and the next.....and the next. You guys are tedious, maybe time to change the record and get behind the "team"?
I fondly await the barrage!!

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Surely oor Jum wont resign? Didn't he just sign a new contract?

It wont be cheap to get shot of him if so.

Luckily we have the remaining funds that Thumbhead refused to use in the transfer window to get shot of him now. 

18 minutes ago, Morti said:

Here we go again!! 2 defeats out of 5 in the league, 1 of which was at Easter Rd and it's time to remove the manager. You guys make me laugh. You clearly dislike Jim Duffy for whatever reason. Despite ending just outwith the play off spots last season in an exceptionally difficult league. Despite away wins against 2 top tier opponents so far this season. Despite progressing to the last 8 of e league cup. Despite assisting with the development of some really promising youngsters.
But you're right, we must get rid of Jim Duffy.....and the next incumbent.....and the next.....and the next. You guys are tedious, maybe time to change the record and get behind the "team"?

He's signed a bunch of ringers who are no where near the required quality. TTG.

19 minutes ago, Morti said:

Get in the sea Jim. 

Just dismissing it as a dislike for Duffy is as narrow minded as you claim we are. This is the first time I've questioned his role at the club despite having reason to before, and it's blatantly obvious to see why.

For me, it comes down to the transfer window and how he used it. I'm not buying that 16 striker thing given he also said that the players we had were good enough when he was bringing in trialsts and not signing them, but suddenly there were 16 players in one position worth bringing in. At the very least it shows he can't be trusted when he speaks.

Actually, quite a lot of us like Duffy as a person and would be happy to see him succeed however the 'no defeats' argument isn't going to cut it in this (or any other league) We need wins and we've got none, having played mainly bottom end teams. The upcoming fixtures don't look promising (to say the least) We'll have to wait and see how long Dougie is prepared to wait n see. He's slow to pull the trigger, so JD doesn't have to worry too much just now. But please allow the rest of us to do so

So you actually believe JD is incompetent? Seriously?

Why not? Complete inability to put together a decent squad and actually making it much more ineffective. Constant point losing decisions over the seasons. This season it's happened in almost every game. Might even be every game but didn't make Ayr so I don't know that.

Is there anything there you have an issue with?

Lots I don't agree with, but that's my prerogative.
There HAVE been good performances this season and signs that we can be a good side.
As you know, there can be a very fine line between players and managers looking inept and performing magnificently.
I'm saying give it time rather than judge after 5 league games, not 5 defeats, but 5 league games.

25 minutes ago, Morti said:

There HAVE been good performances this season and signs that we can be a good side.
As you know, there can be a very fine line between players and managers looking inept and performing magnificently.
I'm saying give it time rather than judge after 5 league games, not 5 defeats, but 5 league games.

Can we be a good side without Tidser performing well for us in midfield, or without Quitongo performing exceptionally well up front?

6 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Can we be a good side without Tidser performing well for us in midfield, or without Quitongo performing exceptionally well up front?

Quitongo's also contributing nothing in league games. He's evidently a good player and has a lot of potential, but he's done next to nothing up front in theleague. But we can't expect an 18 year old to perform every week, he should be an option from the bench when opposition defences are tiring. Instead, Duffy has decided he is our main striker. Saturday summed our attack up when Thomas Orr was brought on (who Livi didn't deem good enough). 

31 minutes ago, Morti said:

There have been good performances - in the cup. Remember, the most embarrassing Morton team of recent times that miserably sent us packing to the seaside league a mere 3 seasons ago, rocked up at Parkhead and put in a match winning performance.

The league is the bread and butter - this squad have been woeful so far in the league. It is clear as day that the squad is under equipped and that's down to the manager. No amount of gelling is going to change that. With the relegation 3 seasons ago still raw in many fans' minds - there's no way patience will be given when it is glaringly obvious that the lessons that should have been learnt from that very season have not been learnt and the similarities to this current season are startling.

But feel free to sit back and watch and clap away while we tumble yet again.

2 hours ago, Morti said:

Ah, the 'it doesn't matter that we haven't won, we're unbeaten!' argument has now progressed to 'but we've only lost twice while not winning once!!!11!!!'. This is genuinely stunning stuff.

We have three points from five games. That is relegation form. Whether the three points come from three draws and two defeats or one win and four defeats it's still an absolutely disastrous start to the season.

'Just outwith' the playoffs?! If we were 'just outwith' the playoffs then we only escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth. We finished 19 points from fourth place and 12 points from ninth. Despite the fact that we were in reality a mile away from the playoffs, yes, Duffy did do a good job last season. Those of us who had criticised him in the past held our hands up then and acknowledged that our pre-season and early season fears were unfounded and that Duffy had proven us wrong then by staying up comfortably. We admitted we were wrong based on the available evidence, namely performances, results and the league table. Now it's time for you to do the same.

You're defending Duffy in spite of all the available evidence - there is no reason to believe it's just a matter of this team gelling for us to start getting results. Our cup results against Kilmarnock and Hamilton aren't an indication of what this team is capable of regularly with the league performances being a blip - the League Cup results are the anomaly and the league results are the norm. Gary Oliver having a great game against Kilmarnock doesn't mean he's capable of playing well in the league every week just as Jonathan Page having a great game when we won 1-0 at Celtic Park didn't stop him being one of the worst players in the division and indeed the history of the club. The fact that we got those great cup results with Quitongo and Tidser playing superbly doesn't mean Kudus Oyenuga, Jamie McDonagh or Caolan McAleer are going to suddenly gel with the team and stop being mince when our good players lose form or are unavailable.

No one denies that there are long term problems at the club which go beyond the position of the manager and won't be resolved by sacking Duffy. However, it is quite clearly the case that changing the manager could see an improvement. There is a short term problem that results are not good enough, with the squad built being inadequate and the manager exposing the weaknesses of the squad during games. The obvious short term fix to that short term problem is to sack the manager and prevent the relegation which will add to those long term problems.

Ah, the 'it doesn't matter that we haven't won, we're unbeaten!' argument has now progressed to 'but we've only lost twice while not winning once!!!11!!!'. This is genuinely stunning stuff.

We have three points from five games. That is relegation form. Whether the three points come from three draws and two defeats or one win and four defeats it's still an absolutely disastrous start to the season.

'Just outwith' the playoffs?! If we were 'just outwith' the playoffs then we only escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth. We finished 19 points from fourth place and 12 points from ninth. Despite the fact that we were in reality a mile away from the playoffs, yes, Duffy did do a good job last season. Those of us who had criticised him in the past held our hands up then and acknowledged that our pre-season and early season fears were unfounded and that Duffy had proven us wrong then by staying up comfortably. We admitted we were wrong based on the available evidence, namely performances, results and the league table. Now it's time for you to do the same.

You're defending Duffy in spite of all the available evidence - there is no reason to believe it's just a matter of this team gelling for us to start getting results. Our cup results against Kilmarnock and Hamilton aren't an indication of what this team is capable of regularly with the league performances being a blip - the League Cup results are the anomaly and the league results are the norm. Gary Oliver having a great game against Kilmarnock doesn't mean he's capable of playing well in the league every week just as Jonathan Page having a great game when we won 1-0 at Celtic Park didn't stop him being one of the worst players in the division and indeed the history of the club. The fact that we got those great cup results with Quitongo and Tidser playing superbly doesn't mean Kudus Oyenuga, Jamie McDonagh or Caolan McAleer are going to suddenly gel with the team and stop being mince when our good players lose form or are unavailable.

No one denies that there are long term problems at the club which go beyond the position of the manager and won't be resolved by sacking Duffy. However, it is quite clearly the case that changing the manager could see an improvement. There is a short term problem that results are not good enough, with the squad built being inadequate and the manager exposing the weaknesses of the squad during games. The obvious short term fix to that short term problem is to sack the manager and prevent the relegation which will add to those long term problems.

Who would you like to see replace Duffy?