The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surprisingly you can focus on both. 

You can but since their players are much better than ours we'll maybe not question whether there's a better way to train them.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

IMG_1470828717.490374.jpg

IMG_1470828725.317153.jpg

Please tell me that's the official account and the posts are real.

It's not. Fairly certain it's the same account that posted a warning about pyro & unacceptable behaviour?

Anyway, Rangers died and Morton survived. These are facts.

Aye, the boy that runs that page is going to get himself into a bit of grief one of these days.

He's got form for making statement that appear official and telling folk who is and isn't welcome at Cappielow then baiting fans of other clubs, Rangers more than anyone else. Was blocked myself from posting in it for pulling him up about something similar a few months ago. Still, at least he got a rise out of those mutants.

On 09/08/2016 at 14:08, Coventry Saint said:

Those Falkirk hammer throwers will snap that guy in two and wreck his confidence, like they did with McMullan. Then they'll refuse to believe their team is anything but bullied by everyone else for the rest of the season.

Will their be adequate seating available for the vast visiting support to witness this imminent mutilation? 

Potentially a good signing for ehTon.

Oh, yeah congratulations on beating the Hammies. 

32 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Will their be adequate seating available for the vast visiting support to witness this imminent mutilation? 

Potentially a good signing for ehTon.

Oh, yeah congratulations on beating the Hammies. 

They'll be papped in the WDE with no roof, to allow the rain to wash away all of those tears.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

Why did folk like that post btw? We win an important cup game and that guy makes it about the zombie outfit? f**k that.

33d.jpg

Duffy certainly has us well organised this season, and we're not far away from being a very decent side. 

He has the knack of getting the best out of players. When you look at Lamie and Kilday for instance from when they joined us to how they are playing now, it really is night and day. Kilday in particular is really really starting to impress!

With some of the youngsters in the team on merit it's like a breadth of fresh air watching Morton these days. Add a couple of more experienced players to the squad and we'll have nothing to fear in this league that's for sure

Every time I read this thread I have one of two thoughts, 'aw shit, Duffy is doing really well, he's gonna be in line to be Dundee manager again' or 'aw ffs, Duffy's having a nightmare, Morton fans think he's clueless'.

You lot are bipolar.

On 9 August 2016 at 14:08, Coventry Saint said:

Those Falkirk hammer throwers will snap that guy in two and wreck his confidence, like they did with McMullan. Then they'll refuse to believe their team is anything but bullied by everyone else for the rest of the season.

Haha

12 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Every time I read this thread I have one of two thoughts, 'aw shit, Duffy is doing really well, he's gonna be in line to be Dundee manager again' or 'aw ffs, Duffy's having a nightmare, Morton fans think he's clueless'.

You lot are bipolar.

:lol:

You should check out the Morton forum. The in-fighting has to be seen to be believed, and all the while the mods stand by holding the jackets.

You lot are bipolar.

Overall he has done very well and exceeded expectations. His strengths are there for all to see but his weaknesses frustrate the life out of a lot of fans. Last season being a prime example in that if he was a bit more adventurous we could have made the playoffs. 

Duffy was saying on the radio during the week that he believes that he could manage at the highest level but I'm not sure if many clubs would take a gamble on him.

You lot are bipolar.

He's certainly had his fair share of nightmare moments. He had a terrible first summer in charge, with the only saving grace being the signing of McManus who single-handedly kept us in touching distance of the title in the first half of the season. After being eliminated from the Scottish Cup by Spartans in November we won only one of our next five games and he was surely a a couple of games from the sack if that continued, but he had a fantastic January, bringing Peaso back and swapping Andy Barrowman for Ross Forbes. Thanks Dunfermline.

Things immediately picked up but we'd still had moments where many called for him to go - we lost back to back games v Forfar & Airdrie. A defeat to Ayr would have made his position untenable and we were 1-0 down in the 90th minute: cue two goals in 56 seconds to win it. With five games to go we lost 2-0 to Brechin, leaving us realistically needing to win all our remaining games to win the league. We were then 2-0 down against Stenhousemuir with 12 minutes to go: three goals in 12 minutes.

Having won us the title it was widely accepted that he deserved a chance in the Championship even though many felt we'd won it in spite of him. Giving a chance quickly turned to panic as he kept almost the entire squad who'd lost 11 games in League One: if he was keeping that many players who'd struggled in League One we'd surely be an abject failure in the Championship. Two wins in our first nine games saw us competing better than expected with the squad but still looking like relegation battling material. We then won four in a row, Duffy proved the value of persisting with the nucleus of a squad rather than having a huge overhaul making all the critics of his summer signing policy, of which I was one of our worst, look like total morons. Problems were evident with our piss poor head to head record v better/evenly-matched teams - 0 points from Raith, 1 from Falkirk, 2 from St. Mirren - but taking us to a comfortable mid-table finish despite that was excellent.

This summer people were reluctant to criticise as the window rumbled on and we signed next to nobody, as Duffy had done so well with late July/August signings in the previous season. Still, as he revealed that he'd tried to sign '14 or 15 strikers' and had failed on them all there was a lot of concern that we had bugger all up front having lost Johnstone, McManus and Samuel. We were so bare up front that we went to Kilmarnock with an 18 year old winger who had never started a first team game before up front: turns out Jai Quitongo is a far better striker than he is a winger. There's still a concern that we don't have that much up front if Quitongo loses form and I doubt we have enough for a credible playoff challenge, but there's cause for optimism all the same. He's still guilty of reactive substitutions and being overly defensive, which got him massive criticism for costing us the win v St. Mirren last week, but he's ultimately done a good job over the course of his whole time in charge.

I reckon Duffy's comments about managing at a higher level are entirely made with Dundee in mind: if Hartley leaves for whatever reason he'd never turn you down. If it was Kilmarnock or Hamilton coming in for him I couldn't see him going.