The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Tri-TON, on 05 Jun 2016 - 15:41, said:

Scullion has the ability to be very creative just behind the strikers. Duffy wants him to prove his fitness and be able to track back? Leave him up top, what's the need for him to track back?

Play him behind the strikers but allow him not to track back? Have the strikers to run past him to track back, leaving him standing there (and the smallest possible target for a counter), or have none of them track back leaving us with less back and more exposed? Either way - a pretty poor suggestion. Duffy is right in this case. Duffy expects a lot of work rate out there - tracking back and helping out. If Scullion can't do that, he won't be in the team as has been evident so far.

Scullion has bags of talent and with the right chance, could go far. But people get a bit carried away with his ability. I've read phrases like 'build the team around him' being used. Build the team around a player that can't get into the team? He's made out to be Messi.

I like Scullion, I do, but I wish people would stop creaming themselves getting over excited about him. He was acquired for the development team and he hasn't managed to break through yet. He's not the superstar he's often made out to be.

I hope he gets a chance, works hard, and takes it. Otherwise it's 'see you later' in December and rightfully so.

I hope he gets a chance, works hard, and takes it. Otherwise it's 'see you later' in December and rightfully so.

Don't be daft. We should completely rip up the system that's been working for us the last couple of seasons so we can build our team around an entirely untested youth player.

It's what Jesus would want

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

We'll need to 'completely rip up' the system if we want to achieve progress above our current level.

Naw we don't. We we need to adapt and improve it and if we were gonna go into a new season using an untried system to accomodate one player that player better be Messi, Zlatan or Brian Wake.

How do you 'adapt' a flat 4-4-2 without at the same time 'using an untried system'? You're arguing about semantics really. The bottom line is that we need to start using different tactics and to also demonstrate greater flexibility during matches, if we're actually to be in the play-off reckoning. Scullion should be one of those options but can't play in the current setup: either Duffy changes that or he shouldn't be giving out endless six month deals to Scullion and we should cut our (modest) losses on the player instead. 

I'd be delighted if gasparotto and Mcmanus signed on again for next season. Doubt it'll happen though. See Grant Anderson is available from Raith. Hopefully Duffy is having a look at him as I've always rated him and we need replacements for Barr, mccluskey and Mcmullan.

I'd be delighted if gasparotto and Mcmanus signed on again for next season. Doubt it'll happen though. See Grant Anderson is available from Raith. Hopefully Duffy is having a look at him as I've always rated him and we need replacements for Barr, mccluskey and Mcmullan.

No thanks. I'd prefer a winger that can score goals.