Father and Son Relationships

While it may have sounded like a similar sort of story he certainly didn't act like that to try and toughen me up. As the years have passed i actually put it down to a lack of social confidence on his part when there are friends around and a need to try and impress others, something that i never really did myself as a teenager but find myself fighting the urge to do now that I'm grown up and around certain people. I suppose its a tendency in a lot of people to get laughs out of the more vulnerable ones in our presence, sort of like a food chain.

You don't want to start talking about food again.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get on with my old man pretty well. He suffered from bouts of depression over most of my childhood, but was generally fine as he was tee total. Started on the drink again two years ago and slowly got worse, didn't help that my mum was dying from pancreatic cancer, she was given 6 months and lasted little more than a week, dying three days short of their 40th wedding anniversary. Needless to say he closed everybody off post funeral leading him down a very dark path, consoling himself in a bottle of whisky a day at points(hidden from me, f**k knows how). Then took an overdose in a whisky induced haze in November when he knew myself, two sisters and neighbour were all away from home. Got the call from his mate saying he hadn't turned up at Tannadice for Killie game. I drove home from Lochaber and found him in his chair at 8pm that evening. Rushed to Ninewells and spent the next six weeks there including four in intensive care. Out now, but nerve damage means he's lost the feeling in one hand. Can't drive or write as a result. Feeling might come back if nerves regenerate.

Ultimately a decent guy who I've always got on reasonably well with. Flawed character though.

I get on well with my dad. We have similar interests and senses of humour. We got on much less well when I was about 8-16 or so. He's been pretty sound though and has always supported me and my sister and my mum through her illnesses. We are very lucky to have him.

My dad was a selfish arsehole who considered life to be just all about him. If he took me anywhere it was because he wanted to be at the football or at the fishing not to " bond " with me or encourage me. I was never good enough for him and always a disappointment who wouldn't be as good as him. That was particularly good to know,coming from an alcoholic, chain smoking, womaniser. He died when I was in my mid twenties, but I couldn't tell you which year it was because that was how much I cared

Get on fine with both my parents , my old man is a bit of a stress head and worrier at times but he would walk through a brick wall for me and we have similar interests and would generally be lost without him , my maw is more laid back and I probably share her sense of humour . Both relatively laid back and only issue I have ever gave them was when i was staying out getting drunk at 15, 16 and the various stupid scenarios you find yoursef in at that time .

I thought Hua Hin was shit - i was there about 2 years ago. I remember our hotel was on the waterfront and our rooms as actually above the water. I remember a dog shat on the hallway floor outside our room and we tried to tell someone but couldn't find them and then we went out and came back about 5 hours later and it was still there.

i also remember to my horror there was a Celtic pub. The general vibe of the place was old disgusting men looking for prostitutes and not having much luck finding them, i remember also we were in a shop quite late at night and this big fat sweaty russian was in there and looking for condoms then he shouted out to the prostitute that he had found who was sitting on a motorbike and shouted her to come in and chose which brand she wanted, which she did and then she went back to her scooter looking about as demoralised as i had ever seen someone.

The beach was pretty shit as well

Difficult to say really. He worked a lot and was barely home during my childhood but we weren't estranged or anything. Him working so much was probably the main reason I ended up a Hibs fan.

Overall I'd say its difficult as we have very little in common, even our sense of humour is different & he doesn't understand mine sometimes, I do have really good conversations with him but we're just very two different personalities

I thought Hua Hin was shit - i was there about 2 years ago. I remember our hotel was on the waterfront and our rooms as actually above the water. I remember a dog shat on the hallway floor outside our room and we tried to tell someone but couldn't find them and then we went out and came back about 5 hours later and it was still there.

i also remember to my horror there was a Celtic pub. The general vibe of the place was old disgusting men looking for prostitutes and not having much luck finding them, i remember also we were in a shop quite late at night and this big fat sweaty russian was in there and looking for condoms then he shouted out to the prostitute that he had found who was sitting on a motorbike and shouted her to come in and chose which brand she wanted, which she did and then she went back to her scooter looking about as demoralised as i had ever seen someone.

The beach was pretty shit as well

I take it you stayed in town all the time, lot's of nice places to visit if you get out your bed and do it. Did you visit this

phraya_nakhon_cave.jpg

Aye kinda thought that, thought it was a safe option for going with the mrs. Been to Pattaya twice, best city on the planet by a county mile.

Anyway all the best.

Well if not going too well your already on the neck down south, don't believe everything Thobbers said....the place is good, but you've got to find it. I was fortunate I had my car.

If it's just you and the wife, lot's of nice restaurants & quiet places to take her. Also if you go a little down south onlu 10km empty beaches.

You can always come and see me. I have an open house.

Sorry slippery P I was pretty partied out by the time I got there and it was last place we had traveled in nearly 3 months Asia before flying to Hong Kong then home. Mrs throbber wasn't in the mood for doing mich either so had a lazy time there but the town was pretty shit!

The hotel we booked gets fantastic write ups and the Oceanside restaurant recently won some award so I am sure our experience will be different than Throbbers. I like the busy hussle bussle random nature that seems to prevail in these Thai towns alongside people trying to selll you anything and everything and I love the food, its all part of the far east experience.

Thanks for the tip on the cave, will definitely give it a visit, had already read about the beach which is part of the army rehabilitation camp and there is also a Jazz bar we have been told to visit.

Hua Hin has the best hotels in Thailand apart from BKK.

Pm me if you need any help. I've got a few folk down there.

When do you arrive?

Sorry slippery P I was pretty partied out by the time I got there and it was last place we had traveled in nearly 3 months Asia before flying to Hong Kong then home. Mrs throbber wasn't in the mood for doing mich either so had a lazy time there but the town was pretty shit!

Ye you're right the town a town not much going on. But get of yer lazy arse any you can have this

10273317_714932288571028_523026781822589

Archived