Father and Son Relationships

We don't really get on. We have nothing in common, he doesn't like football and is near enough teetotal. He's a hard working guy and I respect his work ethic but there's no real affection on either side.

Him and my ma had a really vicious break up when I was about seven, we had a big falling out when I was seventeen and I didn't speak to him for a few years. He re-married and is now the most hen pecked guy imaginable, I suppose I feel sorry for him in a way.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my old man have only ever spoke about girls, football and drinking as far as I can remember and has kept me right on the occasions I've been a fanny or gotten into any bother. He's a good guy and I enjoy spending time with him when we see each other but we're not a close family at all and never have been.

My da is a gid c**t like. A fisherman for 40 years he was away at sea up until I was 15 for 11 days a fortnight, then 5 days a week till I left at 18 so I didn't see much of him. The 3 days he was hame, he was like 99% of fishermen back then, in the pub. Wasn't a bad drunk, more of a pain in the arse drunk. Would give you his last though

Didn't get on with my dad until he offered me a job at 18. Up until then we were sort of people who were forced into staying together.

My grandad has this habit of pointing out to my mum that I'm too much like him :lol:

My dad passed away in January at the age of 50. Had a funny relationship with my dad as I was always a mummy's boy and he worked nights so only time I spent with him was on the Saturday where he would take me to the match every second Saturday. Taught me how to play golf and darts as he was very good at both sports but apart from that there wasn't much of a bond there.

Since he's died I regret not speaking to him on the phone more than what I should of done just because I was being a lazy twat knowing that he wasn't well but i was still stunned when he passed away at 50 as its no age to die.

I am grateful that he managed to see me marry my wife in November down in England even though he was so weak and tired, and that was the last time I saw him so it's a good memory to have of him.

I don't particularly get on with my father, i have little in common with him and he quite clearly views me as a disappointment

Make it up to him by inviting him round for a slap-up meal of chicken kiev and chips.

I get on well with my dad, better than I did when I was younger. I moved back home with my folks for a few years and it got a bit fraught as I just wanted to go out drinking all the time and get in states and they don't like that. Now that I'm a responsible adult we get on better. He's a very clever man, I like talking to him.

My Auld man died 4 years ago aged 47 after having heart problems for about 10 years, best guy I've ever met. Never heard him moan or get down about being ill, put my mum and his sons before everything else and made sure we had a great life growing up.

I'll be happy to become half the man he was. My hero.

He was my hero, but he was never here though. All I wanted was a kick aboot in the park. Me, him and Mum anything was possible really. But now he's gone.

Actually my Da is a very good man. Very quiet but abundant in intelligence and much likes me loves nice beer, food and football. Kens the score.

I generally only see my dad at the football these days. We're very different personalities but get on well. I'm more laid back (lazy) he's always been a hard worker and a bit of a stress head, but fair play to him. He had a good career in local government and always put his family first. He doesn't drink, I like to get mwi. Living together could be a bit nippy, but living apart you appreciate when you spend time together a lot more.

He was my hero, but he was never here though. All I wanted was a kick aboot in the park. Me, him and Mum anything was possible really. But now he's gone.

Actually my Da is a very good man. Very quiet but abundant in intelligence and much likes me loves nice beer, food and football. Kens the score.

I'm so confused right now.

I've got a pretty good relationship with my dad. He's generally pretty miserable, loves nothing better than a moan about anything and everything, but it would be difficult to find a nicer bloke, always happy to go out of his way to help anyone who needs it (and isn't a p***k in his opinion).

I suppose I have a close relationship with both of my parents, we do talk fairly regularly but we are not the kind of family that would go out of their way to spend loads of time with each other, which probably suits us all to be honest.

That's the sort of family I came from.

Unfortunately, that's not the sort of family I married into! :lol:

Snap!

Never really seen too much of my family and when we did we weren't the touchy feely type.

Complete opposite to the inlaws who cant keep their hands off me.

:wub:

Maybe you should have treated their daughter a wee bit better...

My Dad died the day before Christmas Eve last year.

He was alright, my mum and him were seperated when I was born so he wasnt around much. He used to pick me and my brother up every Saturday for a few years but then he couldnt be bothered after a few years and stopped. After that I only seen him if he was in the neighbourhood.

Started seeing him more and more when I hit pub age naturally and actually went away a few lads weekends with him and his mates, he was more of a mate to me and my brother rather than a father. My main father figure is my step-dad who's been about since I was 5. Gid c**t so'n he is.

I can't believe someone has openly admitted to murdering their dad on here, I thought it was a joke or something but apparently not. Fucking hell.

Have a great relationship with my dad. Me and some mates were talking about this a while ago and all seemed to share the view that you're shit scared of your dad when you're young and misbehaving but once you get to maybe 12/13 you become best mates.

Archived