Father and Son Relationships

My dad is one of the soundest, most modest guys i know. Never has a bad word to say about anyone and i doubt i'd have turned out that well without him.

Not sure how he and my mum ended up producing the self centered, alcoholic, gob shite that is my brother though.

Maybe they didn't...

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and the old man have a good relationship i'd say. Very often I'll say to the missus I'm just gonna pop out and see my dad.

Does help he has his own pub right enough.

I dont think it is till you are an adult and have a family of your own that you appreciate what your dad (and mum for that matter) did for you. Unless you are one of those unfortunate people brought up by alcoholic jakeballs and/or general scumbags.

As a kid and teenager I generally thought my dad was alright but a bit old fashioned and crabbit as f**k at times. When I married and had my own family and then encountered the stresses and challenges that presents I soon realised how utterly EVERYTHING he did was for his family, an absolute legend of a guy who means the world to me now, I kind of regret being a bit of a fanny when I was growing up now, mind you, some, including my wife and kids would say I still am. :D

Slightly off topic but I remember hearing a story about a lassie who got in a taxi from Airdrie to Coatbridge one night and said to the driver "My dad is a taxi driver fae Airdrie pal"

When said driver asked his name she replied

"f**k knows pal, my mum just remembers he was a taxi driver fae Airdrie"

It may just be one of those urban myth stories but still fucking funny :lol:

Mine died in 2001 but was a real gentleman. Probably responsible for my love of and initial career in engineering.

Advice on the day I was leaving to go to university "Remember you're only 17 so don't get too drunk too often" and "You know about girls and that? OK don't do anything you'll regret"

"You know about girls and that? OK don't do anything you'll regret"

That's probably one of the best bits of advice I've ever read; also ever so simple. Kudos to your old man. ^_^

Slightly off topic but I remember hearing a story about a lassie who got in a taxi from Airdrie to Coatbridge one night and said to the driver "My dad is a taxi driver fae Airdrie pal"

When said driver asked his name she replied

"f**k knows pal, my mum just remembers he was a taxi driver fae Airdrie"

It may just be one of those urban myth stories but still fucking funny :lol:

Like that one where a lady stops a mother and child in the street to ask about the child's hair.

"What a beautiful child", she says to the mother. "Did his father have red hair too?.."

"Ah don't know missus", was the reply. "He never took his bunnet aff"

My father had a loveless childhood and that was evident when dealing with my fragile moments as a shy teenager as he had no compassion what so ever and came across as very cruel and insensitive.

I remember being shy about shaving as is probably normal for lads going through puberty and rather than take the time out to teach me to shave he would openly mock me when i had cuts on my face and drop crass comments about where the fur above my upper lip had gone. For what ever reason i was very embarrassed by this as growing facial hair for the first time is quite a sensitive time for any young man and you take things like this personally, well at least i did. I suppose its down to hormones.

When it was evident i had started masturbating things got a lot worse, he saw that sketch on chewing the fat when the mother tells family friends that her oldest has just started masturbating and used it to humiliate me time after time when he had a drink in him (which was very often) and or we had friends around. My mother would rightly butcher him for it afterwards but I'm pretty sure she found it funny.

Come to think of it, my dad was a c**t.

My Dad had a brain hemorrhage, was in a coma for 6 months, came round, couldn't walk, talk (apart from saying NO), 2 months later he had another. This time, I put a pillow over him, we could not take any more. I was 11. :(

He is and always be my hero.

I dont think it is till you are an adult and have a family of your own that you appreciate what your dad (and mum for that matter) did for you.

Best comment in the thread.

My father-and-son relationship is excellent, the wee man adores me and I him :wub:

Been a bit tempestuous over the years, generally a good guy but a total arse with a bevvy in him. We both are pretty quick tempered so when I was old enough to do so it came to blows on a few occasions. Sadly he’s not very well now following a stroke 3 years ago and he’s just a shell of his former self, haven’t got as far as SlipperyP yet though.

Been a bit tempestuous over the years, generally a good guy but a total arse with a bevvy in him. We both are pretty quick tempered so when I was old enough to do so it came to blows on a few occasions. Sadly he’s not very well now following a stroke 3 years ago and he’s just a shell of his former self, haven’t got as far as SlipperyP yet though.

My relationship with my dad is similar. He's a highly functioning alcoholic with a good job and salary, but when he's drinking he's very wound up, expresses affection towards me via abuse, threats etc and since I'm a big fella and so is he this inevitably leads to violence. Nowadays we don't drink alcohol together at all, never spend time together alone and always keep our visits short and infrequent, it's the only way to maintain any semblance of civil, functional relationship.

My relationship with my own son is wonderful and the wee fella is the greatest thing in the world and we dote on each other. He's a real daddy's boy. I'll certainly be doing everything in my power to ensure that he and I never have a fractious relationship like I have with my own father.

Has Slippery just admitted to murder? :blink:

30 years ago, police were involved, never got charged. Case closed.

Fookin hell, is that why you went to Thailand?

Speaking of which, I am due to fly out to the land of smiles in a few days, Hua Hin, is it any good?

No I never went to Thailand I was 11 yo at the time, I'm 41 this month and only been here for 7 year, been on the run for the rest. :P .

Hua Hin, ok if you've got kids, bit like the Bournemouth of Thailand. Beaches are fine, some nice restaurants, but can't stay there longer than 3 or 4 days, you'll bored of yer tits.

Been a bit tempestuous over the years, generally a good guy but a total arse with a bevvy in him. We both are pretty quick tempered so when I was old enough to do so it came to blows on a few occasions. Sadly hes not very well now following a stroke 3 years ago and hes just a shell of his former self, havent got as far as SlipperyP yet though.

Kick his c**t in now then.

I've got a pretty good relationship with my dad. He's generally pretty miserable, loves nothing better than a moan about anything and everything, but it would be difficult to find a nicer bloke, always happy to go out of his way to help anyone who needs it (and isn't a p***k in his opinion).

I suppose I have a close relationship with both of my parents, we do talk fairly regularly but we are not the kind of family that would go out of their way to spend loads of time with each other, which probably suits us all to be honest.

I've been told a fair few times recently that I remind people of my dad. I can think of no greater compliment. We get on really well for the most part and always have, especially as we share a love of football, golf and malt whiskey. Old boy's a great guy and is well liked by just about everyone who meets him I think, and thankfully I seem to share both his temperament, sense of humour and ability to make friends with folk.

Get on well with my mum as well. Lucky man to have such a great family.

Archived