The Damned

Remember going to see them in the Cathouse years ago - they're one of the DJ at the time's favourite bands, and I remember he was quite cut up about having to tell them they were out of time and could only play one more song.due to the club opening.

"All right" said The Damned and launch into Curtain Call which is about 18 minutes long...they were only taking the piss and stopped after about 16 bars, but the look on his face was priceless. "NAWWWW!"

Will be interesting to see that, they were certainly one of the more fascinating bands (even if they were a Screaming Lord Sutch & the Savages rip-off to begin with) as much for what went on offstage as on it - I don't think any band was ever so disaster struck. The BBC documentaries about Stiff Records were very illuminating - I think it's safe to say that Elvis Costello doesn't have them on his Christmas card list.

They've certainly not been the same since Rat Scabies left, without whom they would certainly have split before coming back with a vengence thanks to MCA having the balls to take them under their wing.

I loved the story about when they toured the States in the wake of "Phantasmagoria", & the promotor booked them into some redneck bar in the south for the C&W crowd, but they managed to get away with their own Blues Brothers type dilemma by rejigging their set and some songs to sound C&W or Rockabilly - the biggest cheer of the night ironically going to "The Shadow Of Love".

Remember going to see them in the Cathouse years ago - they're one of the DJ at the time's favourite bands, and I remember he was quite cut up about having to tell them they were out of time and could only play one more song.due to the club opening.

"All right" said The Damned and launch into Curtain Call which is about 18 minutes long...they were only taking the piss and stopped after about 16 bars, but the look on his face was priceless. "NAWWWW!"

Curtain Call signifies what is great about The Damned for me - at a time when punks were releasing three minute guitar driven tracks, The Damned put out an eighteen minute opus featuring keyboards and ambient sections, and pull it off - number of fucks given - zero.

See also Smash it Up (part one) with it's melodic guitar arpeggios.

As Chrissie Hynde says in the trailer - so much more musical than the rest, but still very much punk.

Edited by paranoid android

• 6 years later...

In February of 2022 there are 5 UK reunion shows with the original 4.

The current lineup are recording a new album for release next year with a new record label and a new drummer who will be announced in due time.

The current line up will be touring their new album from Spring 2022 and will be playing around the world.