League set up 2015

As I see it personally: the EOS League is probably at the crossroads now, the next 1 or 2 years will likely define its future prospects.

Action may be taken to stop losing members, consolidate, and look to recruit new clubs... whether ambitious amateurs, the odd junior interested in the pyramid, or whatever. With the aim of stopping the rot and hopefully even getting back to 2 divisions. There are still positives. Afterall, more than half the members are working towards licensing in some form and many aspire to gain promotion to LL. It still has a handful of Scottish Cup entrants, it still dominates Edinburgh and the Borders.

Or things may continue as they have been and nothing happen... with a risk that numbers and standards continue to fall due to clubs ascending to LL, moving to the Juniors, second teams being withdrawn, or some new factor bursting upon it like LL did (e.g. some restructuring higher-up drawing off more clubs).

It's difficult to predict.

On the one hand the EOSL has survived and often flourished for 90 years; has the USP of being the eastern feeder to LL; is generally well-run and offers some other benefits (e.g. U20s); and still has its fate in its own hands.

On the other hand, its membership has split down the middle on something as fundamental as 1 or 2 divisions; it has recruited only 1 first-team club in normal circumstances in 7 years; it just lost a club to the Juniors for the first time since 1966; and it's gone from 26 clubs to 16 (only 14 of them first-teams) in the space of 2 years.

Time will tell.

What is meant by normal circumstances? I remember both Duns and Burntisland being admitted, was one of those admissions not under normal circumstances?

I didn't word it very well: Burntisland were SFA members (only such club in the east not already in Senior football) and long linked with a move into the EOS League, which was entirely natural given their SFA membership and the advent of licensing. They already had links as well, e.g. through entering the South Challenge Cup. Theirs was a unique set of circumstances which no other Junior / Amateur club in the Lothians, Borders, Fife or Central was in. There aren't any more Burntislands.

Duns are the only other first-team to have joined. Infact I do not think any other has applied in the last 7 years? Since Hutchison Vale and Links United were unsuccessful and Stirling Uni and Gretna joined in 2008. Some may have applied then withdrawn.

That's concerning. Lower interest than HL/LL/SOS/Junior regions, and the EOSL cannot look to refresh and rebuild with reserve teams alone.

nae fun in playing these border teams on public parks. The EOS is dying.

who are you thinking about when you say that ??

Kelso, Coldstream, Eyemooth

Tbf, both Peebles and Kelso play in public parks, although Peebles have the grandstand.

However, in Berwickshire you have seen by far the most comprehensive investment in recent times. Coldstream have transformed Home Park beyond all recognition into an enclosed ground with a covered terrace; Duns have built a new enclosed stadium from scratch with a large terrace (and I see on their website a small covered area is going up opposite); and Eyemouth have recently enclosed their ground. Hawick of course have a proper stadium, had been looking a bit tired but I was there in April and they're sprucing it up.

There has also been a transformation at Civil Service. Tynecastle have moved into Saughton. Leith relocated to Meadowbank 3G. etc. etc.

It used to be a common criticism of the EOS that it was "a public park league" but you can't say that now. Once the work at Ormiston is completed, I'm right in saying that all clubs will have enclosed venues except for Peebles and Kelso? These clubs have more cover than ever, and more floodlights, too.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Grounds standards aside, it does seem a more natural fit for Burntisland to move to the Juniors being from a Junior heartland such as Fife (a bit like Easthouses). It’s a move they probably should have made instead of EoSFL when they left the amateurs.

No idea if they are going for a licence or not, but if not then you have to assume they’ll lose automatic Scottish Cup participation sometime soon, in which case the Juniors are probably a better environment to be involved in, more local games and perhaps more interest. Burntisland v Lochgelly, Rosyth & Kirkcaldy or Burntisland v Kelso, Eyemouth & Stirling Reserves. Seems a no brainer to me particularly when you add in the cups.

If anything the EOSL should look to punt the reserve teams and open up two spaces, you'd think somebody would apply for the season after next.

Why does the EOSL as the only senior league in Scotland include reserve teams?

The Shippy should follow Easthooses intae the Juniors. Get some local games back Rosyth Crossgates Lochgelly Kirkcaldy Lochore and the cups, nae fun in playing these border teams on public parks. The EOS is dying.
Don't think its always been fun playing at your park like......
Kelso, Coldstream, Eyemooth
You at the wind up.....

Why does the EOSL as the only senior league in Scotland include reserve teams?

Historical quirks... Over the years there has been the odd reserve team in the EOSL and SOSL from time to time, and even the HL at one point before the war.

When the Lowland League was founded Spartans and Stirling University (and Edinburgh City initially) didn't resign from the EOSL, and so remained in membership, pulling existing teams out of the Juniors and Amateurs respectively (IIRC), and moving the players over. At that time Hibs and Berwick were also in membership but both resigned last summer. Personally I've never been fully comfortable with it... but in the bottom rung their facilities and players are no different to other clubs, and they aren't occupying a space which a first-team below could take, which would be the main objections

They can't be promoted into the "professional game" i.e. into HL/LL: can't remember the exact wording but I saw it in the SOSL rules on their website. They're only allowed to play EOSL and EOS League Cup games, plus the King Cup.

Most recent in SOSL were Stranraer (quit 2012)... most recent in North Caledonian was Clachnacuddin (2014)... but not in HL since Aberdeen (1925).

Edited by HibeeJibee

Don't think its always been fun playing at your park like......

You at the wind up.....

Naw, one is a public park and the other two nae much better.

We've got a nice wee cover now to keep the rain off, ground is perfect for Junior fitba. We should forget about licences and pyramids and travelling tae the borders playing in front of twa men and a dug in a park.

No idea if they are going for a licence or not, but if not then you have to assume they’ll lose automatic Scottish Cup participation sometime soon, in which case the Juniors are probably a better environment to be involved in, more local games and perhaps more interest. Burntisland v Lochgelly, Rosyth & Kirkcaldy or Burntisland v Kelso, Eyemouth & Stirling Reserves. Seems a no brainer to me particularly when you add in the cups.

Thats ma point. I want to see games against other Fife teams and I want to see cup games against Kelty or Hill o Beath or Glenrothes. Thats where we should be playing getting the crowds in, these border teams have local games we dinnae.

Naw, one is a public park and the other two nae much better.

We've got a nice wee cover now to keep the rain off, ground is perfect for Junior fitba. We should forget about licences and pyramids and travelling tae the borders playing in front of twa men and a dug in a park.

Aww come on really? Your trying to say to me Coldstream and Eyemouth's grounds are bad? Absolute rubbish. I will give you Kelso in a way but anytime i'v watched Duns at Kelso there was always been a great crowd. Am sure if they had their own way there would be a stand, fenced off pitch etc etc.