Celtic European Campaign 2015/16

Henrik's tongue

Agree with Lichtie again, pretty sure the last time this argument popped up was after the Malmo game.

Of course I want Scottish teams to do well, it's a rare opportunity for Scottish players to test themselves at a very high standard in Europe out with the international set up. More so for teams like Aberdeen, whose young Scottish players tend not to get a look in for the national side, what better way for them to prove themselves?

I don't know why people actively enjoy Celtic getting papped out, if you don't care about the success of the Scottish game, then fair enough. I just find it depressing that our best side can't even compete with mid table Scandinavian sides or at least be competitive in Europe's second competition.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't give a toss about 'Scottish' players - if a German player can perform for Morton better than a puffing no-mark from Clydebank, bring him in. Utterly parochial, Tartan Army-esque nonsense.

If you want to support a 'league' then become a ground-hopping, ale-drinking weirdo - club football remains dominant though, and the Old Firm are an absolute cancer on that game in Scotland. So on both ludicrous points, I'm out.

I too don't particularly care where St. Mirren's players come from, however being Scottish it would also be nice for us as a nation to produce Scottish talent who can compete in Europe, and in turn maybe the national side's fortunes would change.

I'm not sure how this is 'Tartan Army nonsense', it's not ridiculous for someone to wish the best for their national team.

And it also doesn't equate to being a league supporting weirdo, I simply stated that I found it a bit depressing that our best Scottish side was doing so poorly.

Again, how is Celtic doing well in Europe and making millions "about the success of the Scottish game"?

I meant that it is usually a decent barometer of how football is faring in our country, i.e. best team in the country does poorly in Europe doesn't bode well for us as a footballing nation. I don't buy into the whole 'embarrassment' crap, I really don't think there are millions in Madrid, Milan and Munich pointing and laughing at Scotland. I would just like to see our teams do well at that level, and for it to potentially to have a positive effect on the national team, that is all.

Celtic 'making millions' or not in Europe will never make a dent in the already huge gulf between them and the rest of the country, they already have a vastly superior wealth and will always make millions from selling on their players to clubs down South.

I agree the Celtic's dominance is hurtful for the rest of us, the best way for that to decrease is for their out of town 'supporters' to actually engage with a team local to them.

I agree the Celtic's dominance is hurtful for the rest of us, the best way for that to decrease is for their out of town 'supporters' to actually engage with a team local to them.

Would you even want these c***s associated with your own club? I don't know about you, but the Celtic and Rangers fans from my home town get their absolute jollies when Celtic/ex-Rangers pump/pumped their "local" teams.

They are the fucking dregs. You can't entice these people to support their local teams. They'll simply start following Chelsea/Man City when Celtic become shite and Rangers die again.

Celtic doing well in europe benefits absolutely no one other than themselves. Long may they suffer. f**k them.

I too don't particularly care where St. Mirren's players come from, however being Scottish it would also be nice for us as a nation to produce Scottish talent who can compete in Europe, and in turn maybe the national side's fortunes would change.

I'm not sure how this is 'Tartan Army nonsense', it's not ridiculous for someone to wish the best for their national team.

And it also doesn't equate to being a league supporting weirdo, I simply stated that I found it a bit depressing that our best Scottish side was doing so poorly.

Why would it be nice? Club football is what matters, not some diddy international pish. So whether players are Scottish or not and whether they're gaining European experience or not is absolutely irrelevant to followers of the club game. Only Tartan Army fanboys attempt to link the two.

I meant that it is usually a decent barometer of how football is faring in our country, i.e. best team in the country does poorly in Europe doesn't bode well for us as a footballing nation. I don't buy into the whole 'embarrassment' crap, I really don't think there are millions in Madrid, Milan and Munich pointing and laughing at Scotland. I would just like to see our teams do well at that level, and for it to potentially to have a positive effect on the national team, that is all.

Apoel Nicosia made the last 16 of the Champions League and are in the group stages of the Europa League - the Cyprus international team is still pish. Slovakia qualified for another major tournament and will sword Scotland in World Cup qualifying - not one Slovak club made it past early European qualifiers, which is a routine occurrence. Club performance in Europe and international football aren't even remotely connected, which discredits any Tartan Army handwringing about their shit outfit's hopes in this discussion.

I don't even enjoy seeing Aberdeen or any other Scottish team do well in Europe. I don't like other teams in Scotland so I hope they all get papped out as early as possible. f**k the system.

I'll give them credit if they pull off a good result, but I couldn't care if they lost.

Safe to say that 'credit for good results' won't be on the cards for Celtic under their latest, clown-car managenent team.

I've already said if you don't particularly care about the national side, then fair enough that's your choice. I'm merely pointing out that our sides doing well, potentially with Scottish players, can only be good for our national side. How this makes me a 'tartan army fanboy' I don't know, I just want them to do well.

Yes, there are a few examples where the two aren't connected, I believe one of the best ways for our game to grow is for our teams to progress in Europe more often (amongst other changes, obviously I don't think the equation is do well in Europe=immediate success for Scotland) for reasons I have already stated above.

Would you even want these c***s associated with your own club? I don't know about you, but the Celtic and Rangers fans from my home town get their absolute jollies when Celtic/ex-Rangers pump/pumped their "local" teams.

They are the fucking dregs. You can't entice these people to support their local teams. They'll simply start following Chelsea/Man City when Celtic become shite and Rangers die again.

Celtic doing well in europe benefits absolutely no one other than themselves. Long may they suffer. f**k them.

I worded that horrifically, I don't want the rangers supporting population in Paisley all of a sudden turning up, more hoping that in the future more and more people will be inclined to follow their hometown club rather than become the next OF/EPL Gillette Soccer Saturday loyal.

I've already said if you don't particularly care about the national side, then fair enough that's your choice. I'm merely pointing out that our sides doing well, potentially with Scottish players, can only be good for our national side. How this makes me a 'tartan army fanboy' I don't know, I just want them to do well.

Yes, there are a few examples where the two aren't connected, I believe one of the best ways for our game to grow is for our teams to progress in Europe more often (amongst other changes, obviously I don't think the equation is do well in Europe=immediate success for Scotland) for reasons I have already stated above.

You 'pointed it out' by... erm, stating it to be the case, only to be contradicted by the facts. So it can't 'only be good' until you've actually got some facts to back that claim up champ.

Until then you're just dealing in Tartan Army-esque, irrelevant nonsense.

Austria and Switzerland, off the top of my head, both tend to fare far better than us on an International level and their teams tend to do reasonably well in Europe. Both are similarly sized countries too.

Look, I'm not suggesting for a second that any success they have is completely down to how they fare in Europe, but you cannot dismiss it as irrelevant.

Austria and Switzerland are considerably larger countries in terms of population than Scotland. And Austria have actually been a joke outfit in international football for two decades or more, until this European Championship campaign. Funnily enough though, the Austrian league isn't doing any better in Europe than usual.

Thanks for that straw man comparison and actually demonstrating even further that the two issues aren't related then.

Archived