Celtic European Campaign 2015/16

Henrik's tongue

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Celtic are capable of playing in the Champions League, I think they let themselves down tonight. I think Aberdeen are capable of playing in the Europa League, I also thought they were quite unlucky. I'd just love to see scottish teams actually get the job done and get there though, like I said it's a very difficult task these days with all the rounds we now have to play. In 07/08 we had 2 teams in the champions league group stages and a team in the UEFA. Will that ever happen again..... I don't think it's all doom and gloom at all overall, like I said earlier we all know and love the Scottish game. We know how good it can be at times, I just wish people outside Scotland knew that though and we had good representation on the European stage. Our best team should be in the champions league and our second best team should be making the Europa. That's the level we have got to get back to, every result in Europe for our teams will help us get back to that level.

Too many people tying themselves up on the whole quality of league thing here. Welsh national team is utterly flying, yet the domestic league is regularly viewed as a laughing stock and none of their teams ever do anything in Europe.

It all ebbs and flows, and is part of the beauty of the game.

(PS: Malmo fully deserved that result tonight.)

Celtic getting dragged back in is of benefit to everyone if you want your club to be successful domestically. Want to win a cup? Not going to happen if Celtic are getting 20 million a year. Want to see a team at least push them in the league? Absolutely no chance because they'll just buy your best player.

What joy do you get sitting watching a team on the tele that doesn't even want anything to do with Scotland winning in Europe and raking it in? It's madness man and sadly typical of the Scottish mindset that the Old Firm can't be defeated.

f**k Celtic. The more European money they are starved of and the more fans desert them the better for Scottish football.

Not sure what's funnier, Celtic getting battered in Europe as usual, or supporters of a Championship team coming on to laugh that their "rivals" can't cut it in the Champions League...

A lot like the Ayr fans laughing at Killie's recent results, I'm sure it's funny, but you're still diddys...

I've found myself arguing about the quality of our league a ridiculous amount of times over the years on social media. Even with friends who slate it. I also don't think the English could think any less of our league if they wanted to, massively looked down on and no wonder. I don't think you'll have to look very hard to find people slating it again tonight, someone already posted the BBC having a go at it because of Celtics failure.

calderwood.png

I think Celtic are capable of playing in the Champions League, I think they let themselves down tonight. I think Aberdeen are capable of playing in the Europa League, I also thought they were quite unlucky. I'd just love to see scottish teams actually get the job done and get there though, like I said it's a very difficult task these days with all the rounds we now have to play. In 07/08 we had 2 teams in the champions league group stages and a team in the UEFA. Will that ever happen again..... I don't think it's all doom and gloom at all overall, like I said earlier we all know and love the Scottish game. We know how good it can be at times, I just wish people outside Scotland knew that though and we had good representation on the European stage. Our best team should be in the champions league and our second best team should be making the Europa. That's the level we have got to get back to, every result in Europe for our teams will help us get back to that level.

Champions League isn't about Champions its about the biggest money spending clubs playing together on the biggest European club stage. Won't be long now until the group stages are made up of 8 Spanish, 8 English, 8 German, 4 Italian qualifying automatically with only 4 places available for the rest to fight it out in qualifiers. I'm joking but its not far off the reality and the wee countries clubs are going to find it harder and harder to qualify. People need to get a reality check, Celtic are not one of the biggest clubs in Europe and have no divine right to play in the Champions League any more than the Champions of Ukraine or the French League runners up.

Not sure what's funnier, Celtic getting battered in Europe as usual, or supporters of a Championship team coming on to laugh that their "rivals" can't cut it in the Champions League...

I'll tell you what's worse: c***s like you thinking there has to be a 'laughing hierarchy'.

The modus operandi of the forum has always been that teams who f**k up get pelters and, for a while, become everyone's Aunt Sally.

So Queens fans are getting it up the shitter from The Greenock Gladiators - and rightly so.

You may be blubbing that your big team got pumped tonight and some fans are roasting you for it but it's part of the delight of a discussion board.

Tbf, you can argue that either way. Celtic having to deal with 6 CL groupstage games may have been more liable to dropping Premiership points than playing EL.

But with £21 million coming their way you would imagine they would have added more to the squad, and players of real talent at that, and been able to cope with both competitions just fine.

They may also have found themselves in a group with Bayern, Real and Galatasary, been realistically out of the group long before the end, and therefore prioritising league games.

On the other hand, yes they'll still bag a few million from the Europa (guaranteed around £4m + likely to get more than that for sale of Van Dijk). However their signings are likely to be along the same lines as they've been making, project players. Now and again they get lucky (Denayer, Wanyama, etc) but often they'll get a dud (Pukki, Boerighter, etc). They're still clear favourites to win every competition, but they could have taken a real step ahead of the rest had they got the CL windfall.

In the Europa group stages, unless they get a group of death (despite being EL that is still possible), they'll be in with a chance right to the end of the group of qualifying. They'll need to play their strongest team to have any chance because they're not a cut above many in the group stage, and will be big underdogs against many. They'll be playing at a high tempo in all six games. They could also be making some long trips - Astana for example, maybe even Kairat Almaty.

There's a lot of positives, for both Celtic and the rest, of them being in the Europa League.

No it's already being ridiculed. And has been for years. When the best team in the country by a mile is getting papped out by a shite Malmo side it's no wonder either.
They got lapped out as Malmo are a better team, quite obviously.
Celtic are a better team than malmo though. Fair enough if Celtic couldn't compete at that level we might have a problem but they made an absolute c**t of it.
:lol: are they? It was a very even game at Parkhead, even though Malmo never turned up until the 25/30 minute mark. Anyone could foresee Celtic would and will always take a bumrape away from home in Europe. Even the players have bought into the 'Parkhead fortress' shite. It's utterly hilarious watching them fold away from home.

Just gutted, still don't know if Malmo were good or we we're pish. Maybe both, but we'd have got hammered in the CL just like we will in the Europa. Guess it's just the massive cash difference. No that we'd spend the money anyway.

Another game that's result could have been reversed by a correct refereeing decision too, Was clearly obvious that Bitton's goal should have stood and Malmo's makeshift 2nd goalie should have been shown red. But like I said we wouldn't have done sweet FA with the dosh and we'll get pumped in europe no matter what we're contesting.

That goal disallowed for Celtic is a disgrace. If the ref got it wrong surely the p***k behind the goal can say something ? Otherwise what's the point in him being there

How did he get it wrong, before the handball and goal griffiths is fouling the keeper

Why every celtic fan chooses to miss this i dont know

Just gutted, still don't know if Malmo were good or we we're pish. Maybe both, but we'd have got hammered in the CL just like we will in the Europa. Guess it's just the massive cash difference. No that we'd spend the money anyway.

Another game that's result could have been reversed by a correct refereeing decision too, Was clearly obvious that Bitton's goal should have stood and Malmo's makeshift 2nd goalie should have been shown red. But like I said we wouldn't have done sweet FA with the dosh and we'll get pumped in europe no matter what we're contesting.

Again the correct refereeing decision was made, griffiths fouled the keeper long before the hand ball

......meanwhile over on KerryFail Street.

quinny1888

Yesterday, 10:01 PM

Post #174 [Tweet]

First-team starter

Favourite all-time player Chris Sutton

Scott Brown is our captain,

I did not see him on the pitch tonight. Awful.
Johansen was brutal, should have been hooked.
Forrest was our best player by a mile and got subbed.

Until sevco are in the top flight and actually challenging it will continue to be like this.
Great.

Archived