No Man's Sky

Fide

1 hour ago, one m in Motherwell said:

It wasn't even him who announced the delay either, was it not a games journalist who broke that story? Either way, death threats over games is fucking pathetic. Although entirely expected given the high zoomer quotient of games fans.

I think, although could be wrong, that it went as follows...

• Journalist reports (before Hello Games did) that NMS was going to be delayed
  • Journalist gets roundly pilloried for "lieing" and gets death threats directed at him and the company he worked for
  • Hello Games announce the delay
  • No apologies to the journalist for being correct, but the hate and vitriol gets directed instead at Sean Murray and Hello Games.  

I'm genuinely fascinated by these creatures.  I'd love to know who they are in real life - are these actual sociopaths who would be a real danger to someone if they were in real life and not on a computer screen, or are they just basement dwellers doing it for shock value?  I'm not really sure which is worse to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

My opinion of it has changed over the last few weeks. Watched it on Youtube a few times, bought the music and that's as far as it will go. Watched about 3hrs of this and its ok for the first few episodes but becomes a bit boring after a while. It completely lacks a story line and any direction. Was it really all a con??

I can't see how anyone would want to spend most of their time playing this over other more interesting less hyped games. Right now the best newish game around is Mafia 3

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

My opinion of it has changed over the last few weeks. Watched it on Youtube a few times, bought the music and that's as far as it will go. Watched about 3hrs of this and its ok for the first few episodes but becomes a bit boring after a while. It completely lacks a story line and any direction. Was it really all a con??

I can't see how anyone would want to spend most of their time playing this over other more interesting less hyped games. Right now the best newish game around is Mafia 3

But I've seen plenty of reviews around saying that Mafia 3 gets incredibly repetitive after a while, so interesting comparison to draw.

It's all people's tastes.  One man's terrorist, another man's freedom fighter and less used cliches.  I'd say I enjoyed the time I spent with NMS, while still knowing it could be so much better.  I found it a good alternative to other games I enjoy playing.  

On 17/11/2016 at 13:41, forameus said:

But I've seen plenty of reviews around saying that Mafia 3 gets incredibly repetitive after a while, so interesting comparison to draw.

It's all people's tastes.  One man's terrorist, another man's freedom fighter and less used cliches.  I'd say I enjoyed the time I spent with NMS, while still knowing it could be so much better.  I found it a good alternative to other games I enjoy playing.  

That's alright I agree its down to taste, but there are things like the lack of originality about the creatures who seem to be from a mix and match menu, they all appear very similar and this part of where I think the game is failing. If ever there was a game that needed continuous improvement. It would be a good game if the released game was the platform to build around.

On 07/11/2016 at 14:30, EdgarusQPFC said:

Thing is, if you promise something that you have no chance in hell of delivering then charge people full price for it, then after release basically disappear, then calling it a scam is perfectly justified.

I think after NMS and the ridiculous cash grab that is star citizen, people will be vastly more reluctant to invest time or money into these kinda games. I love this genre of game but i've purchased neither of the above games as i've been burned far too many times with videogames that it has made me a heavy cynic 

Linking this back to your earlier point about some kind of game regulator, it will of course be a bad thing that not just the average gamer but also developers will have no interest in investing in this kind of game, and of course developers and publishers who promise too much and deliver too little have to accept responsibility for that.

However, while we shouldn't let studios who churn out broken or shite games off the hook, we also don't want to dissuade developers from experimenting, which is what your regulator idea would do. While people have every right to feel bitter about No Man's Sky, the level of vitriol aimed at Murray is only going to put off other developers who may have been interested in picking up the concept and doing it properly, for fear of also not being able to deliver as much as they originally intended.

If there was some kind of regulatory body clamping down on every announcement of content on top of the potential for a public backlash, no one is ever going to go near it or any other kind of experimental game pushing the boundaries. We'd have nothing to play but FIFA and identikit first-person shooters, which themselves are often released broken and overly reliant on DLC.

I don't want to look like I'm white-knighting for developers and publishers here - there is a considerable amount wrong with the gaming industry and the likes of EA and Ubisoft who churn out games with no attempt to test them before release while hyping up pre-orders are utter, utter c***s. There's a balance to be found though, you don't want to discourage indie studios from experimenting with new concepts, which are inevitably going to hit some problems.

6 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Linking this back to your earlier point about some kind of game regulator, it will of course be a bad thing that not just the average gamer but also developers will have no interest in investing in this kind of game, and of course developers and publishers who promise too much and deliver too little have to accept responsibility for that.

However, while we shouldn't let studios who churn out broken or shite games off the hook, we also don't want to dissuade developers from experimenting, which is what your regulator idea would do. While people have every right to feel bitter about No Man's Sky, the level of vitriol aimed at Murray is only going to put off other developers who may have been interested in picking up the concept and doing it properly, for fear of also not being able to deliver as much as they originally intended.

If there was some kind of regulatory body clamping down on every announcement of content on top of the potential for a public backlash, no one is ever going to go near it or any other kind of experimental game pushing the boundaries. We'd have nothing to play but FIFA and identikit first-person shooters, which themselves are often released broken and overly reliant on DLC.

I don't want to look like I'm white-knighting for developers and publishers here - there is a considerable amount wrong with the gaming industry and the likes of EA and Ubisoft who churn out games with no attempt to test them before release while hyping up pre-orders are utter, utter c***s. There's a balance to be found though, you don't want to discourage indie studios from experimenting with new concepts, which are inevitably going to hit some problems.

I agree that studio's should be encouraged to try new idea's, but there is a massive difference in trying a new idea and promising a game that is no where close to that in reality, while having the cheek to charge full price for a unfinished indie game. Im all for new idea's but there are far far too many developers out there just taking the piss, this is exactly the kinds of things that were happening before the big videogame crash in the early 80's, during that time gamers seen a massive flood of unfinished, poorly made, over hyped and overpriced games and eventually people got sick of it and turned away from games. I play videogames every single day and i have only purchased one game this year at release(well technically before) which was Pokemon Sun, I consider myself an avid gamer but i am now so skeptical over new releases that i just plain dont trust them and the only reason i got Pokemon Sun at release is because ive tried the demo, i loved the demo, the main pokemon games are rarely bad and i still get alot of enjoyment from them. Next year the only game i can see myself seriously considering at release will be Mass Effect Andromeda.

I still feel that gamers need someone to reign them in, the people who buy these yearly titles again and again that lead the market to becoming so stale as it did, people who blindly defend a franchise before the game has even came out(NMS and Star Citizen) and the kind of people who spend insane amounts of money on micro transactions. Im at the point i honestly believe these people are morons and need someone to keep an eye on them. Im not suggesting people are told what they can and cant spend their money on but ive seen people spend $400 on star trek lock boxes trying to get a single ship, £200 on packs on fifa, £250 on Mass effect 3 Multiplayer packs aswell. These people really have no common sense and need a bit of an education that they are really just pissing away money on nothing. 

On 21/11/2016 at 13:16, Ramagamma said:

There are things like taste and subjectivity in the world but they dont really work when you are talking about something as utter trash as No Mans Sky.

I want to think this is an unfair comment, because my experience of the first couple of hours with the game was very good.  Shame about the rest.

I want to think this is an unfair comment, because my experience of the first couple of hours with the game was very good.  Shame about the rest.

Same, I've put in about 16-18 hours of NMS and have enjoyed it. Granted I played about 6-7 then left it and went back, but still it's not as bad as the over the top reactions would have you think.

So Hello Games have finally broken silence and are promising an update called the "Foundation Update"......because and I quote "we have added the foundations of base building, and also because this is putting in place a foundation for things to come."  - http://www.no-mans-sky.com/news/

Of course there are no patch notes available yet.

"Hello,

This week Hello Games will be releasing an update to No Man’s Sky. We’re calling it The Foundation Update, because we have added the foundations of base building, and also because this is putting in place a foundation for things to come.

Detailed patch notes will follow, and release will be soon.

Coming from five years of intense development, immediately after No Man’s Sky released the team spent six weeks updating the game with 7 patches across both platforms (the last of these was 1.09 on Sept 24th which you can read about here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/). These fixed many of the most common or critical bugs and issues post-release.

In the nine weeks since then our small team has been hard at work on development, testing and certification for the Foundation Update. It won’t be our biggest update, but it is the start of something.

The discussion around No Man’s Sky since release has been intense and dramatic. We have been quiet, but we are listening and focusing on improving the game that our team loves and feels so passionately about.

Positive or negative feedback, you have been heard and that will truly help to make this a better game for everyone.

This update will be the first small step in a longer journey. We hope you can join us.

Thank you,

Hello Games"

Too little, too late.

They acknowledge the lack of communication but no form of apology for it. They say they have been busy working, i like the emphasis on them being a small team(then they shouldnt have promised what couldnt be delivered) as a shite attempt at justification. The last patch released was 63 days ago and in that time they havent said a word, now they come out with a vague description of an update.

This isnt gonna make me consider purchasing the game, nor do i see it bringing people back. 

Patch notes for the new update.

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

It brings a fair bit more to the table.  Not enough for me to go back just now, I don't see the point in building a base for the sake of it, or saving for a freighter for the sake of it, if trading and exploring is as shallow as it is.

Calling it the "foundation" update is the worst part, along with the tagline after it.  "You know that game that had the base of something great but didn't come near that?  Here's an update that provides a further base!"

Reading through it, it's all stuff that should have been in from day 1.  To be honest, it's probably stuff that was planned for day 1 before whatever happened...happened.  They talk about more free updates to follow, so hopefully they're working on them right now.  If they get sizable updates out over the next few weeks, they might manage to drag people back.  They've got a long, long way to go though.

Actually, reading into the more specific fixes, if they do what they say they do, then there's some really good stuff in there.  I'll boot it up and maybe try out the survival mode, see if it feels less like a lifeless sandbox.  Because I really want this game to be good, and not just "alright".