No Man's Sky

Fide

1 hour ago, Mr X said:
2 hours ago, forameus said:
Comes to XBox when the update releases I believe

Maybe I should have been more specific. Any sign of a pc version?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eurogamer.net/amp/2018-07-17-hello-games-reveals-first-trailer-for-no-mans-skys-imminent-next-update

This suggests it's already on PC and coming to Xbox? 

I've always been probably the biggest defender of this game on here (well, apart from Fide :P ).  I can completely see why people don't like it, and although the whiny claims of fraud seemed a bit much, I can see where they're coming from.   On a purely technical level, the game is unparalleled.  It really is a massive triumph, and could be the base idea for hundreds of (probably better) games to come.  But it didn't quite stick the landing from a gameplay perspective.

Basically though, it comes down to what you want from a game.  It's absolutely not lived up to the hype, and once this update has been released, it's probably just about reached the level of functionality that was expected at launch.  But I have always found it a great wee game to play, particularly after the last large update.  As something you can put on and switch your brain off to, it's great.  It's very heavy on resource collecting, and at times it can get to a place where you seem to just be collecting to move on to collect a bit more to move on etc.  I'd recommend picking it up, particularly if multiplayer ends up being quite good.

Fired up the update last night (assumed it would've done it automatically, but no, 9Gb sloooow download) but didn't get too much time to see it.  My last save had me at one of the big starship things, so flew out and down to the nearest undiscovered planet.  Landed and found one of those facehugger-egg looking things, previously they'd contain something pretty valuable.  Couldn't open it, so maybe you need to shoot it.  Did that, and suddenly it's alarms all over the place, as the HUD said something like "swarm arriving".  Fucking hundreds of massive cricket things come out of the ground and beat the living shit out of me.  That is certainly new.

Had a bit more time with it last night, but...meh.  Struggling to get back into it.  Probably doesn't help that I'm jumping back into a save that's fairly far on, and the whole world has changed around it.  Space stations are now unrecognisable, and chock full of stuff that isn't really explained.  The entire system for crafting/elements etc has changed.  f**k it, everything has changed.  It's almost gone from being extremely shallow to being too deep, with just vast amounts of stuff added on top of what's there with little substance to it.

I don't get a huge amount of time anymore, but I'll maybe start a completely new save at some point, go from there and see if it's a bit better then.

Still kinda interested in this game but is it still very repetitive with gathering resources to build stuff etc ? The idea of an infinite universe to explore sounds really good or does that also get very boring ?

It's better than it was.  Different people will get different things from it.  Coming completely fresh to it, if the idea of the infinite universe interests you then you'll probably get enough out of it to make the initial outlay worth it.  From there it's anyone's guess.  

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it on launch and sunk a good chunk of time into it.  However despite its impressive technical aspects the rest of the game felt like a demo.  I stopped playing after a while and ignored the updates that were released until this one.

I've played over 10 hours since the latest patch came out and the game feels so different.  I'm sure some will still find it repetitive or doesn't live up to the pre-launch hype but I'm enjoying this version of the game more.  A shame it has taken 2 years since the initial release for the game to reach this point.

54 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I got back into it when Next came out but still find it pretty repetitive and get bored after playing for about half an hour at a time.

I think this is the issue, even back in the 8-bit days with Elite, you can have a vast universe with different planets and races, but ultimately if there is no content, well.. then there's no content.

Now the NEXT patch has improved things but the old adage, "scratch the surface and all you'll find is more surface" is still pretty much true.

What amazes me is that for what is now a 2 year old game, and one with a really bad PR, they are still whacking it out at an inflated price.

20 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I think this is the issue, even back in the 8-bit days with Elite, you can have a vast universe with different planets and races, but ultimately if there is no content, well.. then there's no content.

Now the NEXT patch has improved things but the old adage, "scratch the surface and all you'll find is more surface" is still pretty much true.

What amazes me is that for what is now a 2 year old game, and one with a really bad PR, they are still whacking it out at an inflated price.

I kind of think it's the opposite problem.  The game had its fairly limited content at the start, but now they've added all kinds of extra stuff that gives you a lot to do, but it's not very well presented or introduced.  I quite liked the early game, while realising how shallow it was.  I'd just had a baby, so the thought of just switching off for a couple of hours while the wee one was in bed and just mindlessly mining stuff was quite good.  But once I heard about how poor the endgame was (lol) there wasn't really much to keep me going.  Further updates got it to a state where you could play it for a decent length of time and actually have a decent time of it.

I switched it on after the NEXT update and loaded up the save I'd left off on, and it was a bit of a mess.  Everything had changed, right down to the very basic elements and how you refuel things.  Not very much was explained, it was just...there.  Started  a new save, but with the early grind it just didn't grab me at all.   Granted it's still not a particularly deep game, but they've certainly ballooned the width.   Not necessarily in a good way either.