No Man's Sky

Fide

1 minute ago, forameus said:

I switched it on after the NEXT update and loaded up the save I'd left off on, and it was a bit of a mess.  Everything had changed, right down to the very basic elements and how you refuel things.  Not very much was explained, it was just...there.  Started  a new save, but with the early grind it just didn't grab me at all.   Granted it's still not a particularly deep game, but they've certainly ballooned the width.   Not necessarily in a good way either. 

The rest of the Internet: "Please add some fucking content to this empty empty environment"
Hello Games: "Em, ok, might take a while but leave it with us"
.. some time passes ..
Hello Games: "Right, try this...."

Meanwhile, at forameus's house.. tenor.gif

;)

9 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

The rest of the Internet: "Please add some fucking content to this empty empty environment"
Hello Games: "Em, ok, might take a while but leave it with us"
.. some time passes ..
Hello Games: "Right, try this...."

Meanwhile, at forameus's house.. tenor.gif

;)

Just gie me a stick man on a screen ya fucks!

Incrementally building to this point would've been fine, but was just a bit jarring all the changes they've made just getting fired on.  I actually wish I'd never experienced the early game - someone who buys it now I think will get on quite well with it.   

To be honest, they probably should've just tanked the thing into the ground and went away for a while, using the base of the game (which is still brilliantly innovative) to make No Man's Sky 2 or similar.  I guess that's kind of what they've done, but using the base tech someone could make a really brilliant game on top of it.  Not convinced Hello Games are really the ones to do that though unfortunately.

22 minutes ago, forameus said:

To be honest, they probably should've just tanked the thing into the ground and went away for a while, using the base of the game (which is still brilliantly innovative) to make No Man's Sky 2 or similar.  I guess that's kind of what they've done, but using the base tech someone could make a really brilliant game on top of it.  Not convinced Hello Games are really the ones to do that though unfortunately.

I think the days of massive open universe sims that rely on procedural processing rather than dedicated data are probably on the way out. No doubt aided by NMS. Elite Dangerous has a storyline of sorts but even then it's just an empty universe, a beautiful but empty universe. Star Citizen (if it ever comes out) has moved away from just existing in a universe and have implemented things like contextual PvP (as well as fleecing people of real world money for non-existent virtual spacecraft.. <_<).

The technology to create these universes have always been around (as I say, 8-bit Elite .. while not procedural, it was seed based and featured 8x256 worlds to visit) but there hasn't really been the tech to power all these elements when the character isn't involved. Elite Dangerous keeps track of resources from 10's of thousands of planets at once, but that in itself doesn't make the place feel lived in.

Where next? No idea. I think maybe the environments will shrink allowing more dedicated content that is applicable to the player's story arc rather than just being dredged up from a random seed.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, placidcasual said:

PSVR support coming to this in the summer. That's probably about the only thing that would've got me playing this again.

Oh good Lord...

To be fair to Hello Games, after the absolute panning they got (and fair enough, probably deserved) they have squirreled away and continued to provide pretty meaty updates for free, and are still doing it well beyond where most AAA developers would have moved on.  If they get this VR thing right...ooft.

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

Any thoughts on the VR aspect of the game?

In a word (or two) - fucking incredible.

In a bit longer, they have done an incredible job of porting the game over.  It would've been easy to put a half-arsed version of VR functionality in there just to say they could, but they've really spent a lot of time on the little things to make it brilliant.  I've started a whole new survival game to experience it properly and the opening scenes are just brilliant now you're actually "in" them.  I started on a Saturn-like planet with massive rings and three moons.  You really get the scale of things.  It took me a little while to get the hang of the controls using the move controllers, but it's quite intuitive once you get going.  You can use the teleport stuff, but I've always hated that in VR, so I'm using "smooth" movement.  It's not perfect, but as someone who gets pretty motion sick sitting on a bus if I'm reading or even looking at a phone, I'm not getting a huge amount of it.

Then you get in your ship...and it gets really good.  One lever for thrust and a joystick for pitch and yaw, and it actually feels like a skill you need to master, rather than just pressing a button and going.  First take-off I sent it straight back into the ground, and it took a good few goes to even get it leaving the atmosphere.  And not down to bad design, just down to it being a genuine skill you need to learn.  Plus you need to lift a lever to physically lift the roof and get out.  Brilliant.

It's by no means perfect, mind.  I find it loses the motion controllers a wee bit and gets confused, although that might be down to my setup rather than the game itself.  And the biggest minus is that the visuals can struggle a little bit.  Pop-in doesn't seem to be a problem (it really was in the game before), as you can see a fair distance, but the stuff in the distance can seem like it's swimming a little.  Close-up you're fine, and I wouldn't say it comes close to ruining the experience or anything, but it's worth noting.

5 hours ago, Crroma said:
11 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:
Any thoughts on the VR aspect of the game?

Its neat but its very much a gimmick and the thought of using it for an extended time gives me a headache.

I get issues with that when I play Skyrim VR for an extended period. Its a shame as the game is still pretty awesome even after all these years.

Edited by mrpaddyx

I get issues with that when I play Skyrim VR for an extended period. Its a shame as the game is still pretty awesome even after all these years.
I was exactly the same. I don't think I've even had the headset out since. I'm tempted to download this and give it another go.

On 16/08/2019 at 18:47, placidcasual said:
On 16/08/2019 at 17:12, mrpaddyx said:

I was exactly the same. I don't think I've even had the headset out since. I'm tempted to download this and give it another go.

If it's any indication, I get pretty horrendous travel sickness in cars (not driving, luckily) if I'm trying to read or focus on something while it's moving, so VR was...questionable at times.  Some games worse than others (there's a demo one where you're flying from rock to rock, and it was like being in a blender).  NMS wasn't too bad actually.  Standing on the edge of a big drop still gives you a bit of a double take, and falling is weird, but I didn't feel too bad after playing, certainly not as bad as I expected.

• 1 year later...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-09-23-six-years-later-no-mans-sky-finally-gets-its-sandworm

Another update out today.  I've not played this in pretty much bang on two years.  I might fire it up and see how different it is.

Fair play to Hello Games.  After the release and the negative reaction there was from a lot of people it would have been easy to dump it and move on.