No Man's Sky

Fide

I'll probably fire this up tomorrow to check out the new update. I actually really enjoy this game even though it has massive flaws. I think it's mainly because I like wandering around aimlessly in games, doing nothing of note. That's one of the reasons why I love gta and Skyrim I think. Plus I can catch up with a lot of podcasts while playing it.

You do get bored of it rather quickly though. When it was 1st released I played it for about 3 days, 2nd time about 12 days. At least in my 3rd go of it I don't need to look for Fide, he is thankfully been found and is hopefully recovering.

What's it at now then?  I've no idea what it's 40% off of [emoji14] I think I paid around 40 for it new, if I was getting 40% off that, putting it to a touch over 20, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.  That's purely based on how many hours I got out of it though, so mileage may vary.

At the time of my post on the Australian steam store it was $35USD with the 40% off, if it was $20USD I would've bought it. Now it's back up to its retail of $60USD

On 13/03/2017 at 22:08, Hamish's Passenger said:

It is a time sink with very little reward. The best bit is the novelty factor of exploring. Gets tiresome. Avoid

A gamer with completionist obsession or a complete explore whore will be trapped here in this game for ever.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

I bought this again for a tenner in the PSN sale :osama:

The latest patch is supposed to fill the game out with more content.  I kind of miss the aimless flying around and wanted to get it again for the odd relaxing game session.

I downloaded a huge patch for it months ago and stuck it back on.  It certainly seemed to have added quite a bit, but I never really got back into it

I've got the update installed and the game ready to go once again, think I'll start all over again with fresh eyes and see how it's improved.  Certainly seems positive steps added.  Of course, all of this should have been in there from the start, but I quite enjoyed the base game actually as a relaxing sandbox just to fly around.  

Just booted it up, and noticed there's a new Permadeath mode added.  Just like the hard as balls Survival mode, but your progress gets wiped on death.

I'm going to regret this, amen't I?  On  we go...

Deid in about an hour.  Got to the ship (11 minutes away) and almost had it repaired when I strayed too far and couldn't find shelter.  Not sure if it'll hold my attention as much as it did at the start, but really enjoying it.

Edited by forameus

I bought it on release, played it for a couple of months and shelved it.

I've been playing it again the past few nights since the update and I have to admit, I'm enjoying it again.  There are quite a few new additions...

https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/

I've came across downed freighters and portals.  There are new story missions and I'm back on the path of atlas again.  I'm not sure how much staying power it has, but it'll do for now.  I'd still like to see a bit more variety and I'm not sure how much dev work it would take to add procedurally generated towns, but that's maybe something for the future...

Yeah, agreed.  It definitely feels like a different game, and that's from someone that spent a lot of hours on it in the early days.  The one thing I'm yet to find out is its staying power.  Given how much time I actually have to play now though, it'll probably keep me going.

Started another permadeath run last night and had to switch it off after being feart.  Finally made it to the ship and managed to gather enough to almost repair it, then I was told I needed something else (I can't remember what it's called, that blue stuff that comes in huge fucking chunks jutting out the land).  Build a signal booster to find it (which you can now do on the fly rather than just find one.  Nice addition).  Did that, and it found some - 10 minutes away.  I'm not sure I've got enough resources to make that trip, meaning I'll be making the trip hoping to find enough on the way to keep myself alive.  Love this game again.

I enjoyed NMS for what it was (relaxed game to play while listening to podcasts/football). Not tempted to pick it up again though.

Mate in work recommended Elite Dangerous and it has been brilliant. It's really difficult though and involved (still not got a clue what I'm doing tbh) but I'd def. recommend it as a game if NMS started an itch...

For anyone that's playing on standard PS4, was delving into the menus to flip the flight controls and noticed a "framerate lock" option.  Read up about it and looks like to keep it constant they added in that to make sure it was always a steady framerate.  Turning it off pushes it up to 60 most of the time, with some slowdown when things get busy.  It has completely changed how the game plays, so smooth in points and looks great, even without the Ps4 Pro extra stuff.  Worth a shot for anyone still playing

17 hours ago, ScotlandGer said:

I enjoyed NMS for what it was (relaxed game to play while listening to podcasts/football). Not tempted to pick it up again though.

Mate in work recommended Elite Dangerous and it has been brilliant. It's really difficult though and involved (still not got a clue what I'm doing tbh) but I'd def. recommend it as a game if NMS started an itch...

I sunk alot of hours into that game until I realised all I was doing was grinding money and I've not went back since. 

• 5 months later...

Not sure if it's had any more updates since the last time I played it (several months back).  There were a few really big updates that completely changed how the game played for the better, so if your memories of it are of how it was at launch, you'll see a big difference.  A lot more to do, and a lot of quality of life improvements put in.  There's still problems, but enjoyable to pick up, switch off and just play.

• 5 months later...