Cowdenbeath FC 2015/16

You seem to be a bit of an expert on Dumbarton youth football. If you base someone purely on results in youth team football you're a bit of a simpleton.

What else would you base him on? I've evidently missed the highly rated youth players Dumbarton brought through.

Remember Smith? Hopeless diddy ex manager of Alloa? Couldn't buy a win when he was in charge of County's youth team, then moved to Alloa where this trend continued.

Now if Nish is an awful manager at an under 21 level what makes you think that he'll be a success in the senior ranks? As mentioned previously his record as the youth manager of Dumbarton could be ignored if it was evident that he had a poor set of players, judging by the fact that another coach came in after Nish left though and got them winning would suggest otherwise.

In my own self interest I'm delighted that you have had an absolute shitemare with this appointment. May the lols begin.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What else would you base him on? I've evidently missed the highly rated youth players Dumbarton brought through.

Remember Smith? Hopeless diddy ex manager of Alloa? Couldn't buy a win when he was in charge of County's youth team, then moved to Alloa where this trend continued.

Now if Nish is an awful manager at an under 21 level what makes you think that he'll be a success in the senior ranks? As mentioned previously his record as the youth manager of Dumbarton could be ignored if it was evident that he had a poor set of players, judging by the fact that another coach came in after Nish left though and got them winning would suggest otherwise.

In my own self interest I'm delighted that you have had an absolute shitemare with this appointment. May the lols begin.

Youth football results are irrelevant. It's about player progression. You can't bring players in at that level (a huge part of being a manager) and a lot of the time you will be playing tactics and players you may not want to play - as the first team manager will have his say. You lose players all the time as well.

Under 20s management is largely irrelevant in telling how a manager will do. I'm not saying that there's evidence to suggest he will be a success - reading isn't your strong point - but there's no evidence to suggest contrary.

Fairly sure Smith was highly regarded at County. Still, you can keep making stuff up if it makes you feel better.

Coaching is very different to management as well.

But going by your rationale we should have just appointed whatever youth coach was picking up the best results without considering anything else at all.

You clearly are a helmet.

Awful appointment, managers who are a success at youth level should be approached warily.

Managers who are a failure at youth level? Avoid unless there is literally no one else for the job. Genuinely reckon Cowdenbeath will be a good bet for relegation now depending if Stenny and Brechin can get there house in order

What a fantastic post when you read it. One big clusterfuck that makes absolutely no sense.

No big surprise Nish has been given the job. If he was given an 18 month contract in January when he signed, then he will be our highest earner next season I would think. He fits the player manager role, which the board favoured. Money would have played a big part in the decision I would have thought. Season ticket sales have been slow, so the fans haven't exactly given the board the confidence to even think about splashing out by bringing someone else in as player manager!

I'm assuming someone else was wanted and they didn't fancy it. He's been under contract this whole time so the delay suggests, to me, that perhaps someone else was first choice.

That's guesswork and irrelevant now. Big Nisher is the man. He better get to work quickly as pre season will be starting soon.

A decent wee pre season would be nice (up North plZ) and a host of new signings to boot.

Realistically it was always going to be someone like Nish. Ending his playing career at a part time club and sitting his badges.

Couldn't give a f**k how he did with dumbo's 20's. Senior management is a whole different ball game and he can also still do a job as a player in league 1.

He might be shite or he might be brilliant. We'll have to wait and see. we all wanted a player manager in his first managerial role rather than some dinosaur off the merry-go-round like the last manager that utterly screwed us and we got it.

Perfectly happy with this.

Awful appointment, managers who are a success at youth level should be approached warily.

Managers who are a failure at youth level? Avoid unless there is literally no one else for the job. Genuinely reckon Cowdenbeath will be a good bet for relegation now depending if Stenny and Brechin can get there house in order

And what makes you think Alan Johnston is going to do a good job, yep he did well with QOS at this level but does mot mean to say he is going to do well this time around. Same with Nish, just because he did guff with Son's youth does not mean to say he will do the same at senior management.

Will give him 100% backing.

Lastly on your last point if we are genuine relegation fodder, it will be a great chase to avoid the relegation play off place with the Pars.

7th in a mostly part time league ffs :lol:

Must have been some of the mutants on Cowdenbeath high street applied for the job if Colin fucking Nish was the best candidate. Looks like an absolute nuclear holocaust of an appointment. What happened to all your Rangers/Hearts/Hibs cash?

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong if he ends up doing a decent job.

Must have been some of the mutants on Cowdenbeath high street applied for the job if Colin fucking Nish was the best candidate. Looks like an absolute nuclear holocaust of an appointment. What happened to all your Rangers/Hearts/Hibs cash?

I'll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong if he ends up doing a decent job.

Long story short, policing costs, over inflated wages on less than mediocre players (lots of them) and giving a clueless dinosaur the largest budget to waste throughout last season.

Let's hope Nish has what it takes to at least steady the ship.

Jim McIntyre is probably the best manager we've had since Calderwood left yet was the least 'qualified' to do the job. Cowden have unearthed a few decent managers (and some headcases) by giving the job to a first-timer. Given how easily they pissed all over us and Forfar in our most recent competitive games I'm steering well-clear of having a pop at them over this appointment.

Interested to see how this turns out. Forgetting about his U20 results record (largely irrelevant), something which would probably concern me more if I was a Cowden fan would be the fact that a lot of the boys he was coaching didn't like working with him. That's probably the factor behind the poor results more than anything else, as Muzza says he would have been implementing Ian Murray's style of play with those lads and it's no secret that Murray and Nish had more than their fair share of disagreements. Spalding came in when Nish left and started getting results but again that'll be more down to morale than the coaching, although that still doesn't look good for Nish. Being his own boss may work better for him but I do question whether or not he has the people skills to deal with a squad, a senior squad which will have bigger ego's than any U20s he's come across. He seemed to take the huff when things didn't go his way but I suppose if he's the gaffer he'll get his own way.

It should also be noted that his goalscoring record against the part-time sides in the Championship is actually pretty good, I think he'll still be an effective player at this level.

Archived