2015/16 Champions League

If you've seen his documentary you can see that his arrogance is fuelled from an almost inhuman determination to be the best. Don't think there's a more determined sportsman.

and yet..messi's still better without looking like he's trying.....Also, i'm old enough to remember maradona who almost single handedly won the world cup in 86 for argentina, still an absolute footballing god in my book.

Ronaldo is a great player, but his diving and schoolgirl tantrums shoves him down the list for me.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't really comment as I'm not at an age to have watched players like Maradona/Pele etc. Messi and Ronaldo are easily two of the best ever their stats back this up never really bought in to Pele but Maradona carried a lot of the teams he played for to glory won 2 Serie A's in the late 80s early 90s with a Napoli side which wasn't superb and in a time when Serie A had some of the best players and teams in the world and he carried Argentina to 2 World Cup finals and obviously won it in 86. For me Messi's the best ever can't really comment any further than that though.

^^^ Cant comment on Marado a. Goes on to say Maradona carried teams, his team mates were poor.

A couple of years back there were a few threads where people would send to a poster their top ten or something (movies) for example and the poster would compile a list of the top fifty. Was that ever done for footballers? Could be an interesting list.

I think it's harsh that Gerd Müller always seems to get overlooked when talking about the best ever. His club scoring record was up with Messi and Ronaldo and wasn't embellished with endless friendlies like Pele's. He also averaged more than a goal a game for his country, and scored goals in the finals of the World Cup, European Championship, Intercontinental Cup, European Cup and German Cup.

Okay, he played further forward than Messi and Ronaldo but he also wouldn't have benefited from referees who actually clamp down on dirty tackles in the way that they do now.

I'm not saying he was the best ever but should be in the discussion. He seems to get ignored as he was seen as "just" a goalscorer. As scoring goals is the whole point of the sport though, he should be up there.

The idea that all players can be sorted into a neatly ordered list starting with the best one is fine for individual sports like Tennis but in a team sport like football where how you interact with your teammates is crucial it's a bit daft. Swapping Messi and Ronaldo around would immediately weaken both Barca and Real.

I think it's harsh that Gerd Müller always seems to get overlooked when talking about the best ever. His club scoring record was up with Messi and Ronaldo and wasn't embellished with endless friendlies like Pele's. He also averaged more than a goal a game for his country, and scored goals in the finals of the World Cup, European Championship, Intercontinental Cup, European Cup and German Cup.

Okay, he played further forward than Messi and Ronaldo but he also wouldn't have benefited from referees who actually clamp down on dirty tackles in the way that they do now.

I'm not saying he was the best ever but should be in the discussion. He seems to get ignored as he was seen as "just" a goalscorer. As scoring goals is the whole point of the sport though, he should be up there.

It's not the whole point of the sport, the other half is not conceding

And Müller is in direct competition with Beckenbauer for Bayern Munich and West German icon of a generation status.

I seriously doubt it would weaken Real, tbh.

In the short term as both players had to fit into systems that they were unfamiliar with it would. They'd make runs that their old team mates would have anticipated, they'll fail to anticipate things that their counterpart would have. They'll need an extra beat before finding the pass.

My point is essentially that a team's strength isn't simply the sum of eleven individual strengths unless it's a "fantasy football" team.

The era when sticking eleven gifted players on the pitch and asking them to express themselves was enough is long gone. Brazil's 1970 World Cup win was its last grand flourish which is one of the reasons Pele is always on these lists, as well as the fact that it was shown in colour

Brazil were already a bit of a throwback in 1970 and that was before the world had heard of "Total Football"

Which is another point. Shouldn't someone have mentioned Johann Cruyff by now?

Comparing players from different eras when the way game is played had changed so much is difficult even in Tennis but Cruyff was actually an agent of that change

And he's got a turn named after him

I've always wondered why Cruyff has that turn named after him. Surely he wasn't the first person to do this - if so, UWOT.

Surely he didn't get it named after him as he essentially spammed it? Why wasn't he just broken in those days?

Exactly. Always found it odd he's not considered to be up there with the likes of Pele,Cruyff,Modric,Maradona etc

^^^ Cant comment on Marado a. Goes on to say Maradona carried teams, his team mates were poor.

^^^ Stating obvious facts.

Archived