2015/16 Champions League

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes imagine thinking that considering Messi and Maradona were both far superior players.

Maradona :lol:

Lionel Messi is the greatest player to ever play football, Cristiano Ronaldo is second. Everyone else that has ever played is levels below the pair of them.

The Brazilian Ronaldo at his peak is by far the best centre forward I've ever seen. Was frighteningly good.

Cristiano and Messi both absolutely blow his goalscoring record out of the water though. I can understand why people can argue Pele or Maradona were better as they played in different eras/positions. Neither of those can be applied to Ronaldo.

For example, in Ronaldo's (statistically) best season at Real he scored 24. In Cristiano's worst he scored 31. Obviously goal stats aren't everything, but they're the only real criteria you can measure forwards on.

Cristiano and Messi both absolutely blow his goalscoring record out of the water though. I can understand why people can argue Pele or Maradona were better as they played in different eras/positions. Neither of those can be applied to Ronaldo.

For example, in Ronaldo's (statistically) best season at Real he scored 24. In Cristiano's worst he scored 31. Obviously goal stats aren't everything, but they're the only real criteria you can measure forwards on.

C. Ronaldo hasn't played as a proper centre forward until this season also.

His stats are just ridiculous.

Ronaldo and Messi are easily the top two because they've been at such a high level for so long. You can argue Pele/Maradona/Ronaldo/other peaked at a higher level possibly, but over a career they dont compare.

Exactly. f**k this humble shite the arrogance that comes with Ronaldo makes him much more interesting than Messi IMO.

If you've seen his documentary you can see that his arrogance is fuelled from an almost inhuman determination to be the best. Don't think there's a more determined sportsman.

Ronaldo and Messi are easily the top two because they've been at such a high level for so long. You can argue Pele/Maradona/Ronaldo/other peaked at a higher level possibly, but over a career they dont compare.

I never understand why Pele is mentioned, he spent near enough his entire career in Brazil ffs.

If you've seen his documentary you can see that his arrogance is fuelled from an almost inhuman determination to be the best. Don't think there's a more determined sportsman.

^^^ this in spades.

The ego is a public persona. The drive he has to be the absolute best is frightening.

I never understand why Pele is mentioned, he spent near enough his entire career in Brazil ffs.

Because he was a major, major player for Brazil when he was still in his teens. His "legend" has grown arms and legs a wee bit, and as 8mile says, those who actually watched him every week don't rate him as highly as the rest of the world. 

I can't really comment as I'm not at an age to have watched players like Maradona/Pele etc. Messi and Ronaldo are easily two of the best ever their stats back this up never really bought in to Pele but Maradona carried a lot of the teams he played for to glory won 2 Serie A's in the late 80s early 90s with a Napoli side which wasn't superb and in a time when Serie A had some of the best players and teams in the world and he carried Argentina to 2 World Cup finals and obviously won it in 86. For me Messi's the best ever can't really comment any further than that though.

Apparently a lot of Brazilians didn't or don't rate Pele. For many, Garincha was their best ever player.

According to Alex Bellos in his 2002 book "Futebol; The Brazilian way of life" it's truer to say that Garincha is considered their favourite ever player. Few would dispute that Pele was actually a better player but he was harder to love than the romantic, diminutive, deformed magician on the wing.

I get the impression that for elderly Celtic and Scotland fans there's a parallel with "Jinky" Johnson and Kenny Dalglish

The Ronalo film made him seem like an absolute weirdo, tbh. The bit where he was singing Rihanna on the plane with his team mates awkwardly watching him :lol: Seems like a genuine narcissist. Have to disagree with anyone placing him outside the top two of all time though.

Also disagree with those calling it a shite game. The half an hour between the first goal and HT were a bit dull but apart from that, it was a great watch. Some people can't wait to slate every televised game short of a nine goal thriller.

Love watching Sergio Ramos. MOTM performance and a bit of unadulterated villainy with that booking :lol:

Love watching Sergio Ramos. MOTM performance and a bit of unadulterated villainy with that booking :lol:

Ramos and Pepe as a partnership is tremendous viewing. Hard to argue the fact they are both top, top, centre halves, but both can just absolutely lose the plot at any given point.

Archived