Organ Donor Opt Out Bill

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Actually I know I've made that sound really flippant, but she is deadly serious about it. 

I think there's a fair bit of what @throbber said involved 

Yeah it’s not really anyone else’s business if you don’t want to donate and some people simply don’t want their body cut up after they die, plus the spiritual/religious aspect of things will contribute to a good number of those opting out. I do believe some genuinely awful and unobliging people will be first in line to opt out as well though.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah it’s not really anyone else’s business if you don’t want to donate

I'm sure those who might die as a result of these decisions will disagree. 

As for the don't like the idea of being cut up.  1. You are dead, you won't know.  2. The alternative is being burned or letting bugs eat your organs.    I'm not sure how organ donation is any more squimish. 

Edited by parsforlife

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I'm sure those who might die as a result of these decisions will disagree. 

As for the don't like the idea of being cut up.  1. You are dead, you won't know.  2. The alternative is being burned of letting bugs eat your organs.    I'm not sure how organ donation is any more squimish. 

People aren’t going to die as a result of someone else not being an organ donor though, what an absurd thing to say.

The “your dead anyway” argument doesn’t apply to everyone either as not everyone has such a Blaise attitude to what happens to their corpse after they die either.

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

People aren’t going to die as a result of someone else not being an organ donor though, what an absurd thing to say.

I think you’ve misunderstood why we have organ donation tbh.   They are not using your organs to decorate the hospital.

Edited by parsforlife

Of course you should have the right to opt out, however if you’ve opted out and later on you require an organ to save your own life then you should be put straight to the back of the queue, or better still not in the queue at all.

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

The “your dead anyway” argument doesn’t apply to everyone either as not everyone has such a Blaise attitude to what happens to their corpse after they die either.

Yes they are. Happens frequently.

24 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think you’ve misunderstood why we have organ donation tbh.   They are not using your organs to decorate the hospital.

I haven’t misunderstood anything and think it’s a great idea as most people won’t even bother opting out as it takes a bit of effort. I just don’t think anyone should feel obliged to donate their organs and respect their decisions to opt out.

I myself wouldn’t stop at organ donation and would like my body to be hired out and used for things like pulling pranks on stag do’s, April fools etc. 

45 minutes ago, throbber said:

Over 350 in the UK last year according to this:

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/what-we-do/transplantation-services/organ-donation-and-transplantation/

Just now, throbber said:

People die due to ill health/ accidents thought. To say they die as a result of people not donating their organs is misleading.

They are folk who could have lived had they received an organ transplant though.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

They are folk who could have lived had they received an organ transplant though.

That is a completely different statement to saying they will die as a result of people not wanting to donate their organs though. This new legislation will be great for what you have mentioned but it doesn’t mean people should feel obliged to do it is my point.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Over 350 in the UK last year according to this:

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/what-we-do/transplantation-services/organ-donation-and-transplantation/

Can’t make up my mind if throbber is genuinely stupid or it’s just an act.

Actually that’s a lie....

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can’t make up my mind if throbber is genuinely stupid or it’s just an act.

Actually that’s a lie....

You are a senseless waste of flesh and organs. 

I think the amount of people opting out will be negligible so the odd few making a decision to will be unlikely to seriously impact on the availability of healthy organs for those awaiting a transplant. The government flipping it to opt-out is a far more important thing to focus on than getting mad at some people who will actually take the steps to opt-out.

If I needed an organ transplant to stay alive, be with my family and see my kid grow up, I'm going to want one pronto.

So I wouldnt be an absolute hypocrite and not give someone else that same chance.

Anyone who dosent want to donate an organ should, imo, not be given a transplant if there is someone willing to donate in the queue also. Not out of spite or anything, I just think that's the fairest way.

12 hours ago, throbber said:

You are a senseless waste of flesh and organs. 

I’m reluctant to engage with you, however.

You said “People aren’t going to die as a result of someone else not being an organ donor though, what an absurd thing to say.”

That is factually incorrect as other posters have shown.  You seem incapable of understanding the difference between fact and (uninformed) opinion.

Edited by Granny Danger

6 minutes ago, mishtergrolsch said:

If I needed an organ transplant to stay alive, be with my family and see my kid grow up, I'm going to want one pronto.

So I wouldnt be an absolute hypocrite and not give someone else that same chance.

Anyone who dosent want to donate an organ should, imo, not be given a transplant if there is someone willing to donate in the queue also. Not out of spite or anything, I just think that's the fairest way.

Where does the line get drawn there? If people are unable to give blood, should they be denied a transfusion if they needed it?

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m reluctant to engage with you, however.

You said “People aren’t going to die as a result of someone else not being an organ donor though, what an absurd thing to say.”

That is factually incorrect as other posters have shown.  You seem incapable of understanding the difference between fact and (uniformed) opinion.

People aren’t dying as a result of a lack of organ donors out there though, it’s not the cause of death it’s a resource that can save the life of someone who is unwell but to say it’s a direct result of someone not wanting to donate their organs isnt correct. I don’t know why you have a problem with this or why you are saying I fail to understand something, you’re just wanting to have a go. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Where does the line get drawn there? If people are unable to give blood, should they be denied a transfusion if they needed it?

No, because they are unable. Not unwilling. If you are unwilling then why should you be ahead of someone who is?