Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how relieved they or he will be.

Well, he's gone, so he can't care.

It would be a big relief for me to know that my parent/spouse had been taken away from me, rather than deciding through the anguished hell of depression that death was better than sticking around. That's the kind of rejection that people don't recover from.

I'm not sure how relieved they or he will be.

I'm a bit relieved for his son's sake that it wasn't suicide. Still an awful tragedy to lose your father at that age but the torment could have been even worse.

I'm a bit relieved for his son's sake that it wasn't suicide. Still an awful tragedy to lose your father at that age but the torment could have been even worse.

Charlie was made of sterner stuff than that.

Usually implied that you need to be made of sterner stuff to do it, I agree with you, it's a weakness rather than a strength.

All things considered and taking everything into account, I think you'd want to take the very earliest opportunity to reconsider.

That small sentence is grossly offensive to anybody that has been touched by causes that lead to tragedy.

Is somebody that suffers from depression, a disease, just like alcoholism, weaker because they attempt to or do take their own life whilst at the bottom of a pit of dark despair?

I expected better from you.

^

Seems to think that suicide is a taboo and somehow less worthy a death than one precipitated by a long hopeless torment.

^

Seems to think that suicide is a taboo and somehow less worthy a death than one precipitated by a long hopeless torment.

It's not necessarily his opinion as he's correctly pointing out that there is a huge stigma related to suicide in our society.

Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant really.

It's not necessarily his opinion as he's correctly pointing out that there is a huge stigma related to suicide in our society.

Thanks for confirming the point I was making.

Heard Alastair Campbell on the radio earlier. Supported the SNP's efforts at tackling the booze culture here. Basically said others (Murphy and Dugdale?) should stop trying to score petty points and support it.

He's growing on me.

^

Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant really.

Thanks for confirming the point I was making.

It's pretty clear you were suggesting that Ad lib held that view.

Heard Alastair Campbell on the radio earlier. Supported the SNP's efforts at tackling the booze culture here. Basically said others (Murphy and Dugdale?) should stop trying to score petty points and support it.

He's growing on me.

Stay off the drink.

He's growing on me.

Whilst it is indeed a tragic case the SNP need to stop their puritanical attacks on alcohol. Alcoholics will always find a way to get drunk. I've been told Police Scotland's next move is to try and ban people from buying a bottle of wine with their meal and insist on buying it by the glass. That'll do wonders for tourism

Whilst it is indeed a tragic case the SNP need to stop their puritanical attacks on alcohol. Alcoholics will always find a way to get drunk. I've been told Police Scotland's next move is to try and ban people from buying a bottle of wine with their meal and insist on buying it by the glass. That'll do wonders for tourism

I wasn't aware that Police Scotland were responsible for setting political policies and priorities. Every day a school day right enough.

I think the lack of activity from government on tackling drink and drugs is a fcuking disgrace.

^

^

Assumes he didn't just prefer drinking to endless boring committee meetings. We don't know his state of mind.

P.S. I don't think a taboo against suicide is a bad thing.

^

Assumes he didn't just prefer drinking to endless boring committee meetings. We don't know his state of mind.

P.S. I don't think a taboo against suicide is a bad thing.

Up until the 1960's in England and Wales suicide, or attempted suicide, was a serious offence for which you could actually be hung for.

Somehow that never struck me as a particularly appropriate punishment for that crime.

Archived