Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad that people will use his death as an excuse to get at the snp.

Quite.

Also sad that the reverend is using his death to expose these knuckle draggers to score cheap points rather than posting some kind of tribute.

Alistair Campbell: Going by the chats and text exchanges before and after his election defeat, he seemed to be taking it all philosophically. Before, he took to sending me the William Hill odds on his survival, and a day before the election I got a text saying ‘Not good. Wm Hill has me 3-1 against, SNP odds on, they’re looking unstoppable.’ Then he added: ‘There is always hope … health remains fine.’ Health remains fine – this was a little private code we had, which meant we were not drinking.

A week later, health still fine, we chatted about the elections, and he did sound pretty accepting of what had happened. Here and now is probably not the place to record all his observations about all the various main players of the various main parties north and south, but he said in some ways he was glad to be out of it. I am not totally sure I believed him, but he had plenty of ideas of how he would spend his time, how we would make a living, and most important how he would continue to contribute to political ideas and political life.

You can find the rest of it on the Guardian website. It's an absolutely cracking tribute to Kennedy from Alastair Campbell.

Terrible for his 10 year old son.

"Despite the occasional blip when the drink interfered, he was a terrific communicator and a fine orator. He spoke fluent human, because he had humanity in every vein and every cell. Above all, he was a doting dad of his son, whose loss is going to be greater than for any of us, and who will be reminded of his father every time he looks in the mirror and sees his red hair and cheeky smile coming back. And he was a very good friend. I just wish that we, his friends, had been able to help him more, and that he was still with us today, adding a bit of light to an increasingly gloomy political landscape."

Not many politicians will get tributes from all corners when they pass on. We've lost two such examples from Scotland in a year after Margo McDonald.

I liked Kennedy, I always did. As has been mentioned one of the few who stood up for their principles.

A sad loss...RIP

I actually found myself voting for Lib Dem once off the back of Kennedy's stance against Iraq, amongst other things. I was hoping for an SNP whitewash earlier this year but there was two or three MPs who I would have been sad to lose and he was one of them.

People blaming the SNP for this are morons - he had fallen less popular in his constituency for constantly going AWOL which was obviously due to his drink problem. I did see a few folk from there posting the occasional post in mockery over him being past it and they are the same people flooding in tributes for him now.

No surprise, Campbell is utter roaster.

Lovely to see Stuart Campbell taking a wee bit of flak on here at last. He's possibly one of the most odious creatures imaginable outside of a prison for sexual offenders, and only started his Wings Over Scotland site as an attempt to get his name back into the spotlight.

Don't be fooled because his views seem to correspond with yours; the only thing he believes in is the glory of Stuart Campbell.

Anyway, sorry, back to Charles Kennedy.

Shocked to hear of this today. I'm not going to be two faced about this, I voted against him, disagreed with his politics, and didn't like the dirty tricks that became part of his campaign towards the end. Having said that, he was a genuinely brilliant politician and orator in years gone by and I really admired his stance on the Iraq war, going against many in his own party to stand by his principles. Met him at a hustings and he took the time to discuss/argue with me about his campaign and he clearly believed in what he was fighting for so fair play to him for that. He certainly wouldn't shirk a debate unlike some.

55's no age at all. And he did have more to offer politics.

RIP to him.

I think he would have won if they didn't resort to the negative campaigning. Although with the loss of his father just before the election, I don't think he was making all the tactical choices.

Charles Kennedy I voted for in every general election bar the most recent one. An individual that stepped out of the party policy line to vote on what he and the people of the Highlands he represented. A sad loss for Scottish politics, and a very sad loss for his family.

Edited to add: I will have one less Christmas card this year too.

Quite.

Also sad that the reverend is using his death to expose these knuckle draggers to score cheap points rather than posting some kind of tribute.

This is the same guy who posted something along the lines of "remember readers, not every Muslim is a terrorist but every nationalist is a cybernat" after the Charlie Hebdo incident, the guy's a roaster as AberdeenBud says.

Started out with Labour then became a social democrat.

Probably felt uneasy with the coalition, imo :(

Yeah, he was totally against it. His old journo mentor from Radio Highland was on the radio today too talking about the 'whispering' campaign against him in the Lib Dems. I remember at the time being sickened by it. The Lib Dems have not one shred of honesty or decency in them. They weren't fit to lace Kennedy's boots, whatever faults he had. And who among us doesn't have a family where at least one person has been hit by alcoholism?

Quite.

He has done.

SC wouldn't have anything to expose were it not for the seethe of those seeking to use his death as some kind of attack on the SNP and political process. CK himself upset the political order when he defeated a Tory minister to gain the R&C seat. I don't think he wouldn've sought to make hay from this kind of tragedy. And while the Rev Campbell ain't everyone's cup of tea, you shouldn't either.

Archived