Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

I could be way off, and apologies if this comes over as insensitive, however the tone of the BBC article and statement from the family has really struck me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32970337

I would not be amazed if this was suicide but I realise it's unfair to speculate at this stage so I'll leave it at that.

Either a suicide or drank himself to death, sadly, I would imagine.

One thing that's rustling my jimmies a bit. I know quite a few of his former constituents many of whom had some nasty things to say about him in recent months, and yet they're all absolutely slavering over his knob now. At least everyone on here had always acknowledged he was a good un.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Alastair Campbell's blog, Kennedy after the SNP whitewash sent him a text saying, 'Fancy starting a new Scottish left-leaning party? I joke not.' The man lived and breathed politics.

A true loss.

People such as @annispice need to get a grip of themselves on Twitter trying to attribute some blame on his constituents not voting for him.

This has shocked me a lot. Honestly I would rather he had held his seat. Saw people say before the election this would happen and should he lose his seat he should be marched straight to the house of lords.

Steady on :thumbsdown

I'm a little bit sad over this news. I was a bit gutted that he lost his seat last month and despite not having the good fortune to meet him (probably one of the few people from the Highlands not to have at least bumped into him) he was, by all accounts, a genuinely good and principled man. He seemed like a very friendly and likeable guy - a loss to his party, his community, and politics in general. The Lib Dems could have done with someone of his calibre in Holyrood and I kind of hoped he would end up there in 2016.

So RIP and all that.

Was giving a lift to one of his neighbours who was hitching just a couple of weeks ago. Guy said Kennedy and his family were tremendous people and although he voted against him, it had nothing to do with Kennedy's position in the local area, merely the position of his party.

As others have said, a man who took a firm stance on Iraq. Although he took the party to more seats than anybody else post war, slightly unfortunate that it coincided with the Blair era.

One of the good guys. Will be rightly remembered as an honest and witty.

It's not a strict barometer of public opinion but when even the cynical b*****ds that post on here come together to pay unanimous tribute he was obviously very highly regarded.

Oh dear, I see some people are blaming the SNP for the cause of his death for having the cheek to win a seat

Predictable.

I would agree with people who have said they would have liked to have seen him stand for Holyrood in 2016. I can't think of a single other Lib Dem politician I can say that about (other than Ad Lib, obvs). He would have been a fantastic addition to the Scottish Parliament.

Shocked to hear of this today. I'm not going to be two faced about this, I voted against him, disagreed with his politics, and didn't like the dirty tricks that became part of his campaign towards the end. Having said that, he was a genuinely brilliant politician and orator in years gone by and I really admired his stance on the Iraq war, going against many in his own party to stand by his principles. Met him at a hustings and he took the time to discuss/argue with me about his campaign and he clearly believed in what he was fighting for so fair play to him for that. He certainly wouldn't shirk a debate unlike some.

55's no age at all. And he did have more to offer politics.

RIP to him.

Alistair Campbell: Going by the chats and text exchanges before and after his election defeat, he seemed to be taking it all philosophically. Before, he took to sending me the William Hill odds on his survival, and a day before the election I got a text saying ‘Not good. Wm Hill has me 3-1 against, SNP odds on, they’re looking unstoppable.’ Then he added: ‘There is always hope … health remains fine.’ Health remains fine – this was a little private code we had, which meant we were not drinking.

A week later, health still fine, we chatted about the elections, and he did sound pretty accepting of what had happened. Here and now is probably not the place to record all his observations about all the various main players of the various main parties north and south, but he said in some ways he was glad to be out of it. I am not totally sure I believed him, but he had plenty of ideas of how he would spend his time, how we would make a living, and most important how he would continue to contribute to political ideas and political life.

That's really awful. Had he been my MP, I'd really have had a dilemma about who to vote for, as he always seemed like the kind of person you'd want to have in parliament. You've got to assume it was drink-related, but hopefully not suicide, for the sake of his family.

This is a bit of a scunner, actually, the more I think about it. I don't think anyone would've been complaining if he'd become an MSP next year :(

Really sad to read this today. Charles Kennedy always seemed to be a genuinely nice man who cared about the people he represented, and represented them well. Very sorry this has happened.

Saddened to hear about this. An intelligent, principled, authentic and witty man who was a brilliant parliamentarian and orator.

Sad loss for politics but his family especially. One of those newsworthy deaths that really hits you.

Oh dear, I see some people are blaming the SNP for the cause of his death for having the cheek to win a seat

I haven't seen any evidence of this. Only the stupidest of people will suggest this; they will be in a very small minority and be isolated from and berated by the majority of their own people.

Archived