Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

I doubt the cause of death will be a surprise to any of us.

Yeah, Mrs Romeo commented during the election that he was looking very unhealthy. As far as politicians go he was better, more affable than most. Terrible age for anyone to die.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible news. One of those deaths that knocks the wind out you a little. Whilst I didn't agree with his politics, you can't argue with 32 years of Parliamentary service.

Sad stuff. A much much better man than anyone else in his party.

I can only think that Kennedy was loyal to idea of Liberalism and not the collection of liars, cheats and charlatans around him in the Lib Dems.

He took a principled position on Iraq, something that cannot be said for many others. He also took a principled position on the coalition and, if he had been listened to, I don't think the LibDems would have been wiped out in the way they were last month.

A troubled individual whose lifestyle was probably largely to blame for his untimely demise. 55 is no age at all. Sad and unfortunate.

I grew up in his constituency. He was a really, really popular guy. One of the very few MPs serving his constituency first. Even when he was leader of the Lib Dems and obviously had to spend a lot of time elsewhere, he was still really visible at home.

If it hadn't been for his drink issues he'd have won last month. His popularity and reputation as a decent bloke transcended party politics.

If he had held onto his seat during the election I wouldn't have been disappointed. His was the only seat in Scotland that I can say that. Despite his flaws he came across as a thoroughly descent man, a virtue sadly lacking in most politicians these days.

Sad stuff. A much much better man than anyone else in his party.

I can only think that Kennedy was loyal to idea of Liberalism and not the collection of liars, cheats and charlatans around him in the Lib Dems.

Started out with Labour then became a social democrat.

Probably felt uneasy with the coalition, imo :(

I've dealt with him in the past and he was a good guy who went to some effort to help me out.

Bit of a shame, I know he had some personal problems. Leaving behind a wife and young child which makes it even worse.

I actually thought he looked alright at his, memorable, concession speech but must have gone downhill since.

This has shocked me a lot. Honestly I would rather he had held his seat. Saw people say before the election this would happen and should he lose his seat he should be marched straight to the house of lords.

Really saddened by this. I've never been a supporter of the Lib Dems, but I always admired him. He seemed a genuinely nice guy, a bit too nice for frontline politics actually.

I thought he campaigned very well for No during the referendum last year. I actually thought he was one of very few major politicians on the no side to have a good campaign.

Was hoping he'd stand for Holyrood in May. His presence, experience and voice in the Scottish Parliament would have been most welcome. Sadly it was not to be, RIP.

Dreadful news.

I voted for the Lib Dems in 2005 because of his and his party's stance against the Iraq war. Always really liked him as a person and, frankly, he was one of the few in Scotland who I didn't want to see lose his seat.

RIP Charles - gone well before your time.

He took a principled position on Iraq, something that cannot be said for many others. He also took a principled position on the coalition and, if he had been listened to, I don't think the LibDems would have been wiped out in the way they were last month.

A troubled individual whose lifestyle was probably largely to blame for his untimely demise. 55 is no age at all. Sad and unfortunate.

100% spot on.

It is indeed a real tragedy he couldn't quite manage to change his lifestyle.

I met him a couple of times in Inverness - an absolute gem of a guy. I'll treasure the conversations I had with him which was mainly about Iraq, HIGNFY and a BBC garden programme girl by the name of Charlie Dimmock!

Archived