Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lembit Opik on Sky at the moment saying that he was speaking the MP that beat him last night and they were both worrying something like this would happen so it sounds like he's gone down hill since the election.

Absolutely terrible news. Whatever you think of politics it's a tragedy. He was a good MP, a lot of people in the Highlands spoke very highly of him.

I've had many dealings with Charlie over the last few years. I remember him coming to watch a mock election we held at high school. Came across then as funny, humble, and hard working.

I'm genuinely upset at this news. A good man gone. Rest well, Charlie.

55 is no age. But it tells you the life he lead that he was only 55. Looked far older.

No big fan of the lib dems but he was a very good politician.

Obvious issues with the bevvy but an accomplished debater and often spoke out on what was right rather than point scoring.

Lost his mother earler in the year and his dad died during his election campaign.

Was only 24 when elected in 1983 and was apparently a very good constituency mp as well as reviving the liberals under his leadership.

R.I.P. Charles :(

Very sad to hear. He always seemed very principled, whether it was opposing the Iraq war or opposing the coalition.

I've always thought he seemed like one of the good guys in politics.

He was a very popular MP in Skye and Lochaber and was a safe seat as long as i can remember, a very good personality and was often very funny on Have i got news for you.

His popularity had decreased somewhat in the past few years mostly due to his constant absenteeism more then likely brought on by his excessive drink problem but still wasn't that far off being re elected even during the SNP whitewash of the country.

His last TV appearance when he was drunk came not long after his father had died which made the viewing all the more unpleasant and it was quite clear he was in a bad way.

I doubt the cause of death will be a surprise to any of us.

RIP Charles

It was clear from his pre General Election appearance on Question Time that all was not well with him. He looked and sounded like a man who needed a a quiet period of reflection and restoration, not to be fighting an election campaign.

Maybe that campaign and his defeat, drained his remaining strength.

Leaving party politics aside for a moment, I always thought he was a decent man. The only UK party leader to oppose the bombing and invasion of Iraq. *

I'm saddened..

Archived