HFL 2, 3 & 4

MacGafraidh

This is a million miles away from happening at present but here is my idea for making a full pyramid up north.

HFL - 18 teams made up of what we have at present.
HFL 2 - NCL teams and top North Junior teams (either 12/14 teams)
HFL 3 - Rest of the North Juniors Super league and top East/West teams
HFL 4 (could be regionalized) Either East/West league or combined.

Problem solved, may be simplistic may require tweaks such as more Juniors and less NCL teams in the HFL 2. HFL 4 could then have promotion from ambitious park/amateur level teams who meet a lesser criteria with the idea that they would upgrade as they improve.

Promotion/relegation could be as simple as 2 up, 2 down or playoff format for the 2nd relegation spot, but it really will cut away the dross from the HFL (league 1) and make it as good as SPFL league 2.

What do you think? (Thoughts good and bad are welcome)

This is a million miles away from happening at present but here is my idea for making a full pyramid up north.

HFL - 18 teams made up of what we have at present.

HFL 2 - NCL teams and top North Junior teams (either 12/14 teams)

HFL 3 - Rest of the North Juniors Super league and top East/West teams

HFL 4 (could be regionalized) Either East/West league or combined.

Problem solved, may be simplistic may require tweaks such as more Juniors and less NCL teams in the HFL 2. HFL 4 could then have promotion from ambitious park/amateur level teams who meet a lesser criteria with the idea that they would upgrade as they improve.

Promotion/relegation could be as simple as 2 up, 2 down or playoff format for the 2nd relegation spot, but it really will cut away the dross from the HFL (league 1) and make it as good as SPFL league 2.

What do you think? (Thoughts good and bad are welcome)

Good idea, I think this is more likely to happen than the juniors joining the South Setup

North Juniors joining seems far more likely but I reckon the sixth tier, if/when it comes, would end up being regionalised. NCL would be the basis for a "Highland League" and then there would be an "Angus" league with the teams from the Grampians being divided up between the two with Aberdeen probably being the dividing line

North Juniors joining seems far more likely but I reckon the sixth tier, if/when it comes, would end up being regionalised. NCL would be the basis for a "Highland League" and then there would be an "Angus" league with the teams from the Grampians being divided up between the two with Aberdeen probably being the dividing line

Just gonna leave this here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z97plhoYgAe0v8iDHW9KoILxTF1rNZeqHQ9kPP_C51Q/edit?usp=sharing

Look at Sheet 2

That might go down better with the "it's too far to travel" brigade!

At the moment the North Juniors are organised into a region-wide Superleague and 2 districts league below. Previously it was 3 region-wide levels but they voted to adjust that due to travelling (as I recall it actually used to be 2 districts when they'd started out). You would have to take that into account if you wanted to involve them.

Certainly the North of the country presents the easiest location for establishing a comprehensive pyramid system: you simply attach the existing Junior levels to the Highland League, deal with the minor issue of the North Caledonian League, and then attach the Saturday amateurs who play a standard season (which may only be the Aberdeenshire Amateurs, IIRC) if desired. In incorporating the NCL you could either turn it into a third Junior district, or absorb it into the West District.

Based on current memberships that would be:

9-11-12

amateurs

or

20-12

amats

or if you balanced the numbers slightly (and 2 more joined in Scenario #1):

12-12-12

amateurs

or

16-16

amats

which seems perfectly reasonable.

Question of Tayside is harder if you persist with a 2-region model beneath the national leagues.

In Junior terms their clubs are currently members of the East Region and there are some more Amateur leagues there too.

Archived